1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by trocio2, Mar 7, 2014.

1. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    We can't say now that dx12 will require new hardware. M$ hinted, that xb1 will be updated with dx12, thus the current 11.2 hardware inside is capable of and only needs drivers. DX versions up to now did indeed bring new elements to the table, like pixel shaders and stuff, this required new hardware. But for dx "allowing lower access to the card" I don't see what more is needed than the modified drivers to support that. We'll see, but I don't see hardware limitations, probably only sales ones (i.e. amd will say only hawaii will support that)

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    So basically they plan to make DX more similar to OpenGL with extensions. That's what it sounds like to me, a more multi platform API with low level access which I assume they would have to write it from scratch since DX11 requires windows kernel.

Does that sound about right? I don't keep up much with API stuff. I think MS is afraid more devs will move to OpenGL or Mantle, perhaps in relation to SteamOS and the fact that Windows OS isn't quite selling like it once did?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I've glanced upon, but last 2 years ms was making 10-15% more profits on windows than previous year, a constant on the rise, so it is not quite yet doomed :D
    I don't think ms will make any drastic changes in dx, just adding some new ways to prepare and send data faster to the card with minimal overhead, with use if you want. Major engines will swiftly adopt, meaning lots of new games will be using it right off the bat and so.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Only 1 game supports Mantle.....unless Thief was patched for it already. You really can't expect the first 1/2 games released to have a full implementation of a new "tech"....especially not when they were in development before hand.

Supporting Mantle isn't an advantage if the drivers aren't stable.....and the first Mantle driver was far from it.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    What's interesting though is the timing of this announcement, or to be more accurate an announcement of an announcement, Seems Mantle got them thinking, because that is basically what this is, a response to Mantle.

It will be interesting to see how Microsoft plays this out.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    It is beta, BF4 runs smooth in less than month after Mantle patch got out. It runs on current GCN technology and if AMD was not lazy (or in need for revenue) it would do same for VLIW4/5 GPUs.

I would honestly want to see Unreal Engine support for Mantle as some developers are still upgrading UE based games to current graphics therefore they may decide to upgrade to Mantle as they did with DX11.
    (this may very well happen in few months)

And I want M$ to show wonderful graphics, awesome graphs showing how much better DX12 is compared to DX11 and finally announce: "And this is all ready now and works with current available generation of GPUs on Win8.1."
    (but this is very unlikely)

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'm aware Cat 14.2 is beta....but the first release was closer to an alpha.... That's why I'm back to NVidia. The last time the Cat14.2 driver crashed, it took my Windows install with it.

My position on Mantle hasn't changed. It's still a great concept and if both Intel and NVidia adopt it, it will make a great alternative to OpenGL and DirectX once finalized. However, if only AMD is supporting it, it's ultimately a dead API in the long run.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I recall no real problems with the first release, or even this release.

I know you probably had different hardware than me at the time, but how did the first release cause you to have to reinstall the OS? If it was file corruption, Windows usually does a good enough job at keeping files in-tact, unless you did certain tweaks (stuff with fsutil) and turned off write-cache buffer flushing?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It hard locked the system as it was attempting to sleep. Resulted in several system files becoming corrupt.

If the system tried to sleep, it hard locked. If I attemped to game, the result was CtD...if I tried to watch a movie, the driver crashed...... My system was rock solid until I installed the first Mantle driver. Couldn't get it stable after installing that driver.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Why not just install the previous driver that was stable instead of buying another video card??

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    I totally agree with that opinion of yours (except for your lack of respect for backports and legacy/older hardware) but I think it's unfortunate that neither OpenGL or Mantle have gained more attention.

12. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    No don't get me wrong, I totally enjoy free goodies, especially game related goodies that I don't have to pay for, I just don't expect them to be free and won't be disappointed if dx12 is win9 only, but will be happy if it comes to 8.1 I'm running now too. That said, I'll probably migrate to 9 anyway, I'm just too attracted to shiny new stuff :D

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz
    Indeed, me too, I bought (a copy) into the whole Windows 8 hype, later updated to 8.1, but now I'm back on Windows 7, because of the (minor) lack for older titles, such as the Max Payne series (all three) and other games/applications.

14. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Hymm, Did anyone notice that there is highly possiblilty that XO will support DX12.
    We know that XO is based on AMD Hardware with GPU on GCN architecture.
    I would not be surprised if DirectX 12 on PC will work on current GCN Graphics (HD7000 / R7,R9) and Maxwell architecture? (GTX750/TI => 800Series) and Windows 9 or maybe even Windows 8.1 after "Update 1"
    I want to draw attention that architekura GCN is extremely flexible (I mean here DirectX 11.1/2 support vs 11.2 (On some Keplar GPU, in particular 770/780/TI

It's all my assumptions and you can disagree. I take it as possiblilty, I do not exclude change to Windows 9 / GPU change for supporting DirectX 12, like it was from years (DirectX 9,10,11) and Vista,7,8.1

We will know more on GDC 2014

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  15. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    It's always possible. If more devs use or want Mantle they will use it.

16. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X 4GB
    As mentioned [post=4779037]in another thread[/post],

1. The GDC announcement page http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx has been updated with Xbox One logo;

2. There is a new Twitter account https://twitter.com/DirectX12, which tweeted the link to the same GDC announcement:

17. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    most of the game avail on any plateform that are making the top 5 can easily be made for android!league of legend ?being the number one ! if twitch is any indication ! android wont have a hard time winning gamer over !

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    I did to, but I bought it not over metro but SSD optimizations and improvements. That was the hype I personally got from it. That and it's a faster OS than Win 7. It's been a solid OS since launch for me using Start8.

19. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    This is all very good, but in my case mantle seems like not working well, with a 290x, on BF4, as it looks slower and with stuttering, though on starswarm demo it works quite well, almost doubling fps

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    4820k@4.6GHz is not area where Mantle provides any benefits for BF4 (game made to run on mainstr.eam HW).
    But you may see/feel some issues as it's in beta which would be very small in comparison to performance boost for people with i3/A10 CPUs.