DirectX 12 cuts power consumption in half and boosts FPS by 50%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Aug 13, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    You know you can't be the voice of reason in every thread.... You're going to end up beating your head against a wall.

You and I both know that people will read "up to 50%"....but only the "50%" part will stand out. The "up to" part will get completely ignored like always.

As for the adoption rate, people only seem to notice a new API get adopted if it directly affects them. It wouldn't matter if 1000 games got released with DX11 in the first 12 weeks. If they only cared about 1 of those games they'd still believe that only 1 game used it.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It won't be coming to Windows 7 that's for sure. Considering that it's the new XP, I have no idea how they're going to manage it unless games requiring DX12 somehow work perfectly fine on a DX11 operating system. For their sake, Win 9 had better be something so good that most gamers rush to upgrade.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I totally agree with everything you said here, its so true and its kind of sad.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It is sad. We, as enthusiasts, should be able to avoid "tunnel vision" in regards to technologies. Unfortunately, there's so much blind loyalty to specific brands/technologies that it's ridiculous.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    They've shown some corner cases, but in general DX12 > DX11, can run with the same hardware, should be default for Xbox, but...

I doubt they'll release it for Windows 7. The graphics driver model is different between 7 and 8(.1) and it might require too much effort, but on the other hand lack of DX12 on Windows 7 is likely to result in low adoption rates. It would be great if they released it for Windows 7 too, as game devs might use just DX12 without any fallback bs and it might lead to dramatically different game design because of absurd number of draw calls compared to DX11 and earlier.

6. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
    This will give a big boost to Nvidia cards with their temperature based Turbo Boost 2.0 technology. Higher, more sustained Turbo Boost clocks will increase FPS. I suppose we'll see AMD copycat the scheme on their next generation cards.

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
  8. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Amd already has a turbo mode on their cards and im not entirely sure but wasnt amd the first to introduce turbo on its cpus? You shouldnt bash amd for copying since all companies do it in some form.