DirectX 12 Available with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Evil Penguin

Evil Penguin Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    New DX version restricted to the latest Windows version? Say it ain't so...
    This is one of the reasons why my money is on OpenGL Next.

2. mcfart

mcfart Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 5970
    Unlike DX10 on Vista, which is substantially differnt internally from XP, Win7 is very similer to Win10 (so far), so it mite be possible to hack DX12 into Win7.

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What does DX12 give anyway? Is it substantial? :D

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    DX11.2 didn't get hacked into Win7 so I think you can forget about DX12 on Win7.

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    But couldn't the same have been argued about Xbox One driving DX11.2 usage?

6. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    The best, PLAYABLE, games came from the dx7/8 era anyway. DX12 is now just a marketing balloon by which Microsoft drag in all the sheep to their farm

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Shocker, another DX revisions that might take years to take off.

8. siriq

siriq Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Just can't wait to try my GTX 570 with DX 12. It will be a good benchmark to see the improvements.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    DX12 is reportedly a low-level API, similar to Mantle. It should bring performance gains from reduced overhead. How substantial those gains will be, will be heavily dependent on the hardware.

There will also be additional "features" that should improve graphics like has been the case in previous DX versions.

No. DX11.2 is a subset of DX11. Not really worth the time/expense for devs to learn to use it.

10. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Will be about 4 years from now before dx12 be used much. Way I see it I got 4 more years with beloved windows 7 :)

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    4 OS are still in use XP (even if it has no support now) Vista Win7 Win 8 soon to be Win10 back it fine 6 if you count me even more if you cant NT verisons DX 9 is still lowest denominator all os support

To many OS in use MS need to stop with the whole new OS new DX scheme it partly why DX 9 is still use more as not eveyone is on a OS that support the latest greatest DX so it not worth it to dev to put money in to something most people dont have.

People can put the blame on consoles but it is not the consoles solo to blame its the fact MS has so many OS out there that dont support newer dx dont help either.

I dont buy that newer dx wont work on older os I never will if OPENGL can be support there is no reason DX cant do it

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    The only thing that matters is the majority and for the longest time the majority was DX9. Now it's going to be 12.

What the previous OS's support is irrelevant. No dev is going to be like "Well I have use DX12/11.3 for my Xbox one launch but I'm going to rewrite my entire game for DX9 because there are still 15% of PC users (not even gamers) that use XP". No one is going to say that ever. All the cross-platform guys will use what's easiest all the PC only guys will stick with the latest.

Also again your comment about DX/OpenGL referring to porting is just nonsense. OpenGL isn't a core part of the operating system. Stop bringing it up in every thread in relation to this. It's wrong and repeating it isn't going to make it more correct.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  13. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The continual compatibily of DX9 with Dx11 games ( basically you get what you have ), was not a question of OS.. but just for support older hardware. And Tsunami, it is the same, and developpers, peoples criticize even more OpenGL for this backward compatibly ( for hardware and software parts ), who limit the evolution.. ( one example Nvidia had bugs in their old OpenGL extenstion, the extensions have been introduced as OpenGL standard extenstions and now they are still there and still used but they dont work as intended, and are still reused over and over again again for ensure compatibility with old Nvidia hardware basically AMD have need bug their Opengl extension for be compatible ( lol ) )

OpenGL "sustained" compatibility with old software / hardware is going so far that you finish by need to bug the new hardware / software the way it was.. not really a good solution,.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how you figure it gona be DX12 when only Win 10 gonna support it and the majority of people are using an OS that dont support it seeing there is like 4 windows OS out there.

Nor DOES API need to core part of system Mantle isnt nor is gona really see much support as there are to many API to begin with just like there are to many OS out there that dont support DX revisions.

I would love to be proven wrong but i said the same thing when DX 10 came out and DX11 and exactly that happens DX 11 only recently started to be really used, till all DX is available to ALL the OS MS has it gona be few years before we see DX 12 take off. Just like DX 10 never took off and and DX 11 took altest 2 -3 years before really be using.

DX9 IS still the API used most cause its the LOWEST denominator of DX that ALL OS support.

A enthusiast section of PC worlld does not make up the majority of pc sector and majority are not will to update the OS ever few years. hell the majority of people have the same PC for 5+ years.

If MS made OS that people where willing upgrade too ever few years it be another story but if people where willing to do it ever few years there would not be 4+ MS OS in use.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    'Consoles are holding the PC back. Why no DX12 support for a 5 year old OS'. - PC gamers:wanker:

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that what they will blame. but people not in denial know better.

I see you all in 2-3 years when MS announce a NEW OS with a NEW DX specific to that OS and DX12 is still not the defacto API used. Which what happen when DX11 and 10 was announced.

DX9 being used so long was not solely cause of consoles MS have Multiple OS with DX version restricted to it hand big hand in it. If the same thing that happened with DX10 and 11 dont happen to 12 and it dont take 2-3 years before it actual start being used by the majority or for that matter becomes the Defacto API to be used I will eat my hat collection. But for the happen WIN10 has to be adopted by EVERYONE on a Windows OS which we all know isnt gona happen.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I mean this is all fine and dandy, obviously OS's attributed to it a tiny bit (DX11 had 25+ AAA titles in a year) but you can just google various developers talking about consoles holding the industry back from the new standards.

The only thing I take issue with is how you make it sound like Microsoft could just easily port DX to other OS's. Then you even go as far as to compare it to OpenGL. Last time I checked OpenGL doesn't hook into specific kernel functions that Windows is literally built on. I mean DX is used everywhere from video games to acceleration of media to generating the previews for files to rendering the desktop. OpenGL isn't. They aren't the same, they aren't developed the same and they aren't similar when used in the example of porting stuff between operating systems.

So no it's not that easy to just go port DX back. And there is no advantage to doing it. It costs a ton of money, could potentially cause a bunch of problems and yields little to no benefit.

18. E^vol

E^vol Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 670 OC
    I don't understand why people don't just upgrade their OS's like their hardware?
    And I'm running old hardware...
    FWIW, I'm liking Win8.1 and I'm looking forward to upgrading to Win10. I just stick to the desktop. I never go into the start screen. I find Win8.1 runs better than Win7...
    I like that DX12 will only be on Win10 since it'll hopefully force the "whiners" to upgrade.

19. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Here's a really interesting thread about Dx11.3 vs Dx12 in Windows 9 (now Windows 10) and why Dx11.3 will be ported to previous Windows but not Dx12:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/56890-Info-Windows-9-WDDM-2-DirectX-12

Interesting part:
    So at the beginning, both Dx11.3 and Dx12 will have the same feature level, but obtained with different "technologies" which require different overhead.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  20. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Well, why pay for something which doesn't really improve the experience? The UI is poor.

And yes, it is because of consoles that DX adaption rate does not speed up.
    Had DX12 come out in 1997 it would be used rather quickly, but now it won't. From the developers POV it makes little sense to cater to the fewer who have the latest, it simply is not worth the cost. Some companies can do this however because they can afford it and use the latest DX blah blah as marketing. The games will however still be made so that it will look decent on the lowest settings. Usually cranking up to latest DX and highest settings therefore does not make the game look a lot better, often it is barely noticeable.

And many games are still made for the old consoles too... the times are really unexciting. And the games themselves are made too easy, as the marketing folks have decided that it should be an easy ride...more people beat the games completely results into happier costumers and happier costumers results into more cash. So basically a lot of games tell people what to do, where to go, what buttons to press and at what time.

And besides:
    http://www.techworm.net/2014/10/microsofts-windows-10-permission-watch-every-move.html

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014