DirectX 11 - Does it have future?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by qqiiipp, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Yoshimatsu414

Yoshimatsu414 Member

GPU:
    SLI Geforce GTX 560
    I don't understand some people, if you can't play the game at a decent frame rate just turn the graphics down. It just means your hardware can't process those graphcs at a good framerate. Its not a problem its just the the game is freakin gorgeous looking. Me personally I can max all those game out he listed and run them great. With better frame rate than the console versions of those games. (Wait I don't have HAWX2 lol)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Sometimes that does not work.

In Lost Planet 2 for example I get about 40fps agv and maybe 40 min maxed in dx11 with 32csaa....It I turn AA and DX11 features down to low it still runs basically the same, and I don't have a cpu bottleneck.

A lot of games are not optimised from the bottom up. So the lesser settings often have such a dramatic loss in quality that it is not worth the few extra frames gained.

I can run no AA or 8AA in crysis and get like 3 frames avg difference...what is the point in turning it off, losing 50% of your visuals for a 5% performance increase?

3. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    It all depends on your:
    -Resolution
    -PhysX
    -Anti Aliasing
    -Anisotropic Filtering
    Those things can eat up your GPU Vram as quick as a homeless guy can eat a sandwich(no joke) So if your meaning of "maxing things out" is something like... let say: 1920x1080 32AA 16AF + PhysX + Tessalation + A.DOF then even the 3GB GTX580 can't help you.
    I'll tell you my settings:
    1440x900(native)
    DX11 all very high
    Tessellation ON
    ADOF OFF(i didn't notice visual difference... only frame drop)
    PhysX ON
    4AA
    16AF
    And yes... i never see lower then 30FPS what so ever... and my GPU is not even OC'ed and as you can see my CPU is not even close to any high end CPU on the market. I just know how to use my Vram properly...
    Also, we talk here(in this thread) about DX11 "utilization" and not DX11 "optimization" there is a difference... please make your research.

On Topic:
    I tested Dragon Age II demo... it seams they will have some sort of DX11 support. Too bad the demo is limited only to DX10 :(
    Is it me, or this demo looks bad(compered to DA-Origins) in terms of textures,models,effects etc. ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  4. Vimm

Vimm Member

GPU:
    MSI 660 Ti
    I noticed that too. To me it looks kind of "paper-ish". Very pale and well not that good looking. It would even say it looks kind of like the World Of Warcraft textures but more high-res. You know, cartoonish. I don't like it.

I felt the same sensation when I played Bulletstorm. It looked so... not appealing for some reason. I haven't touched it since then.

Strange.

5. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    The thing that i notice the most in DA2 demo is the fire... just puse and rotate the camera, then the fire will rotate with the camera so you can clearly see how flat and "paper-ish" it is. Also i don't know if it is for the demo only... but everywhere you go it feels like corridor and not like open world open world rpg(what it's mend to be)

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    When I first saw Sparse Voxel Octree demo in action, my initial thought was: "Mkay... now go and force it to do some animated objects too. =P ". Adding tesselation etcetera is one thing, but if games devs still can't figure out a way to make realtime interactive animations look more realistic than they do now then I might as well stick to playing that old game called Flashback. lol

I don't care about 2560x1600 resolution. We have Nvidia CUDA and ATI Stream now, so just give me jawbreaking physics and smooth, natural animations with sublime artwork and nonlinear gameplay. Then I'll shut up (or maybe).

7. Kinleyb

Kinleyb Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
    Well i am here to tell they are NOT going to stop focusing on Consoles. Because thats where they make all their money because people are always cracking games so they lose money when they release the game on PC! So as long as people keep cracking they will continue to put their main focuse on Consoles and port their games from console. Except Battlefield 3!!FTW!!!!!!
    :tomcat:

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Even without games getting cracked, consoles will still be the priority, as i don't believe piracy makes that much difference, it just makes things look worse when the sales are low.

MW2 and Black Ops were the most pirated games of their years, but also the most successful PC games too, The Sims3 was leaked several weeks before it was released, but still went on to sell 5-6million copies.

Saying that i believe the "story" of consoles damaging PC graphics as much as i believe the piracy claims too.
    Fancy graphics cost lots of money, and only a small section of PC games will give the developers a return on that investment, and only a small section of PC gamers have high end PC's that can take advantage of it, enthusiast sites like this give people a skewed view of what the average PC is.

Doesn't help that people don't really buy PC's anymore, and laptops have taken over, and these usually have high end CPU's and very low end GPU's.

The CPU in my GF's is better than mine lol.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Oh yeah, they can't just crack the consoles instead and play copied games...
    :stewpid:

Piracy has always been, and always will be around. The industry makes its fortunes regardless of it. TBH piracy is only an excuse, and a bad one at that.

Consoles have a MUCH larger market than PC's - that's why they concentrate on their development, nothing to do with piracy TBH.

You have from kids to old people on console - after they buy the console, the only outlay is the games. That's why they have a much higher proliferation into the gaming market.

10. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Take a look on the other side of the road. If someone of you is CEO for some of the leading game development companies out there ATM what will you choose? to get high sales for not so high amount of money spend on development, or to make the exact same amount of sales but with a lot more higher production value. I guess you will chose the first option. So in conclusion, we wont see anything good from DX11 in any near future until the new console "ici-bici" babies hardware came out. :)