DirectX 10 AGP card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DigitalKilla_FL, May 16, 2006.

1. DigitalKilla_FL

DigitalKilla_FL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Hi guys,
    Do you think we will ever see a DX10 AGP graphics card? I was thinking about future upgrade path. If not, I its better to just go PCIe for chepaer probably.

2. clkProject

clkProject Master Guru

It's time to give up AGP.

I'd say that there is a possibility that there could be a DX10 AGP card, but don't get your hopes up.

3. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    Slim to none.

The new DX10 cards by NVIDIA are supposed to have a dual core (not dual chip like you see now) design and to really make that second core useful a PCI-E lane is almost a must.

I could be wrong though. Just wait and see how the manufacturers play their cards.

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    umm the geforces already have "dual cores" or "quads"

plus agp wont be dead for a while, it still has a heap of potential

look at the 7800gs+ beats most pcie cards!!!

5. VAs0ulja

VAs0ulja Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 128mb @ 370/745 (16x1,6
    hes right

6. Epipsychidion

Epipsychidion Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb
    Here's hoping that there will be a dx10 AGP - although I'd dooubt that it will be a nVidia release, more likely than not to be via an add in board partner, just like the Gainward bliss 7800 series.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It will most likely be a low level release such a a 8200 or 8300 rather than any real gaming card.

8. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    If they do realease an 8200 or 8300 agp figure that would be a nice upgrade from a 6600 or 6800 if pcie is out of reach.

9. Azjo

Azjo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-TI Tw.Fr.2GB
    There will be a long time before we even will see DX 10 games and by then its best to upgrade mobo/cpu anyway and then you obviously will have to go to pcie anyway.

10. mattm4

mattm4 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    I'm sure agp will be around for a while, wouldnt they loose money if they stop making agp cards? Also nothing uses the full power of agp yet, so thats why I think it will still be here for a while....

11. subxero

subxero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I think there will be a DX10 card available at the launch of Vista. There are a few titles (Crysis is one) that are using DX10 that will realease around the same time as Vista. Microsoft is hoping that DX10 will push users to upgrade to Vista, so they will be sure to have a few games available. I belive we will see info on DX10 cards in the near future (PCIe), how the first Gen of them perform is another subject all together.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Halo2 is vista only...but you probably know that already.

13. keef

keef Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon 9600 pr0 256 lol!
    do current games even use the full 8x bandwidth of the agp yet?

14. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    halo 2 isnt dx10 tho, i can assure you of that.. unless it has a MAJOR overherhaul

15. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080TI/1080TI/VEGA
    when 7800 series appeared they say agp is over ... but still gainward bliss plus is a really nice card ...

so I think the last mohican is still not on the market yet ...

maybe dx10 will be the end of agp or maybe not

agp still has enough juice in in (bandwidth) pcie is not used at 100% potential ...

maybe we will see dx10 agp cards or maybe we won't :D

16. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Im guessing we will be able to play our XP games on Vista right?

17. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    You do not understand.

The cards you see NOW have a dual CHIP. Two chips on the card that share the lane. I'm talking about a dual CORE chip. This will allow QuadSLI to be capable with a single card. Read this if you still dont understand:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3177

Also, the only reason why some 7800GS+ chips are beating the PCI-E cards are due to CPU bottlenecks. CPU isnt able to send enough data to the GPU in PCI-E and once CPU's become fast enough you will notice a huge hit in the AGP vs PCI-E interfaces.

18. DigitalKilla_FL

DigitalKilla_FL Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Well guys, its obvious that you cannot trust or beleive that article in the link posted by NobleKinght51, as they said that the G71 will have 32 pipes, and in reality it only has 24. Very misleading. THe only way to really find out the truth is to take a wait and see approach.

19. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Its fact AGP8x aint fully used yet nor is PCI-E 8x thats why 2 cards in SLI on most mobos run 8x unless newer Asus etc with 2x16X, so basically going PCI-E is needed some time in future but they did it to get back on a parallel connection so they could revive the old 3DFX vodoo tech of 2xGPU's linked together AKA SLI (Nvidia bought then remember). :), then you buy 2x GPU's.

20. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Digitalkiller, Depends how you count them, Nvidia count it normal way and ATI got their own way, both manus's Top end cards have really only 24pipes, some peep on another forum posted the calc to show how its worked out and end result, I will try my best to find the post though but dont expect it soon.