Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee - EA and Epic Games, video

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Loobyluggs, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/0bf5f000-036e-4cee-be8e-c43c4a0879d4

Kinda of a few days old now, and should be of keen interest to anyone interested in viewing/watching EA & Epic Games spin an astonishing amount of PR speak, with regards to lootboxes and gaming addiction.

Of key interest is the questions regarding whether games have 'gambling' in them, chance-based processes, tracking/monitoring consumer data and play-time/usage statistics.

What will potentially come out of this is a very sane question: Why not make gaming session time-limited? So, once a gamer plays a game for two hours, or one, or half an hour; why not log them off - not allow the consumer to access the game in an online capacity?

I cannot stress this enough: these executives are very very very good at differing answers and deflecting. I have not seen deflection this well poised since Mark Zuckerberg.

There are also some great questions on the WHO definitions of gaming disorders (which they all denied are correct!).

Nothing political, this is me studying human behaviour and, it being very closely related to gaming.

One of my favourite questions

"Were any of you groomed before coming here to answer these questions?"

"Yes"

"It shows..."

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I can't even comprehend this right now. Is this a UK thing?

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital,_Culture,_Media_and_Sport_Committee

Best way to look at it is that, if there is something that needs legislation, or a bill to put forward, it will find its way here first.

Then come the debates and internal wranglings, then it gets a vote, or possibly ammendment of a current bill, it goes to the 'upper house', which is the house of lords.

After that, Her Majesty signs it into law and with the stroke of a pen, lootboxes become illegal.

That would be quite some time into the future though, possibly after a term or thereabouts of the sitting government. Within 5 years would be feasible, but more like 10 would make sense.

Brexit is slowing down legislation, all over Europe, so this would be caught up in the aftermath of that, as the list of actual political work that will need doing post-brexit is getting longer with each passing day, for all countries.

Anyhoo - it is a long video, but I have found that you can 'skim-watch' and jump in at pretty much any point and see someone from EA or Epic just saying the most illogical things, arguing by analogy and oh yeah; blaming Sony for their inability to do any form of age verification...and Microsoft...and Apple...and Nintendo...It's quite damning to see someone lie so badly.

Handy tip to anyone if you want to spot a liar: they use the 'believe me eyes' which is when the eyes are forced open and the eyebrows raised, looking directly at the individual. There is a theory that this facial expression to widen the eyes, are so the whites of the eyes show more. This is a defence mechanism we created many years ago, and the theory states we developed it as a trust-tool, as it is hard to tell lies if they can see your eyes. This is also why poker players wear sunglasses at night.

There is also a higher connected theory that states humans did exist with Gorillas-esque eyes (all dark brown) yet these humans were killed off, as humans with white eyes killed them off, because they could not trust something they cannot see.

So, the lady on the left from EA uses the 'No, I really am telling the truth - honest!' expression on nearly every answer, and intently stares....

Appreciate the comment.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    I just saw the most relevant outtakes in YongYea's video on the subject and I was baffled by the level of corporate hypocrisy.

The lengths EA are willing to go to in order to convince people and government employees that lootboxes are innocent is scary.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Oh, lest we not forget Epic Games playing the innocent everyday man routine, when being quizzed about Fortnite and saying, basically, "Our game is free to play!" - when the question being asked is whether they track and monitor playtime and the age of players.