differnce betweend LCD HDTV & LCD HD Monitor

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by hotbag, May 19, 2006.

1. hotbag

hotbag Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT
    Hey. I am looking at buying a LCD HDTV from Sony. I was looking at this one to be exact:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_hdtv_30"to42"TVs

I'm looking to play the xbox 360 and PC games on this TV as well as use it as my computer monitor.

I was just curiuos if this TV is better to use with my PC than a standard HDTV that's not stated as a LCD HD monitor. Like, would the clarity be sharper while using my PC on this monitor vs. a regular HDTV?

I hope what I said makes sense :)

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  2. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    The difference between an " HD monitor" and "HDTV" is usual speakers, that is an HD monitor has no speakers built in.

There are no differences in terms of sharpness, that is dependent upon the display panel itself, and more specifically the native resolution or # of pixels. That one is 1366x768 or something, which is plenty of resolution for 32". Should look good.

3. martin2006

martin2006 Master Guru

GPU:
    onboard geforce 6100
    im pretty sure there is no such thing as a HD monitor as all monitors go higher resolutions than HD anyway.

i play my 360 through the monitor with a HD pack and its set to 1280X1024 in the menu, and it wasnt labelled HD as such

that sony one has an odd standard resolution, not sure if any pc games would suit it, it'll be okay for running HD off a 360 tho, as the blurb says it can do 1080i

4. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    No offense but you are wrong, read the description using the link. PC monitors and HD monitors are not the same thing and are designed for different purposes. The OP asked about the labels, "HDTV" versus "HD monitor/display." They are the same thing, meaning they are designed for HDTV standard 16:9 resolutions like 720p and 1080i, but "HD monitors" do not have built in speakers. Furthermore, not all monitors designed for computers go higher than 1080i (1920x1080), in fact very few have native resolutions of 1920x1080 or higher and they are typically much smaller than an "HDTV" or "HD display." Again, they are designed for different purposes altogether. PC monitors are not "HD monitors" by default.

1280x1024 isn't a recognized HD resolution because it is a 5:4 aspect ratio (assuming square pixels), not a 16:9 aspect ratio. You either have black bars top and bottom on your screen, or your image is squeezed when you run your xbox 360 @1280x1024 if you have it set to either 720p or 1080i.

1366x768 is actually a fairly common native resolution for an HDTV. Virtually every 50" plasma uses this resolution, and many LCDs etc. Using a HDTV for PC gaming is usually ok as long as the manufacture states it has PC support(which that particular monitor clearly says it does).

5. hotbag

hotbag Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT
    sooo, basically, it's an HDTV that runs at a native resolution of 1366 x 768 and it does not have speakers :)

6. Toji

Toji Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT 256MB
    Some monitors have built in speakers, depends on model. It's just that most don't have speakers.

What monitors lack that TV have are multiple inputs and a TV tuner.

LCD HDTVs run much larger than monitors since sitting distance is much farther.

All LCD monitors have VGA. Some high end models come with DVI VGA. LCD HDTV can have VGA, DVI, HDMI, Component, and Standard A/V inputs. Component and Standard A/V are on all HDTVs, Most LCD have VGA and either HDMI or DVI and even some models have VGA, DVI and HDMI.

All TVs have tuner, Monitors will never have tuners. HDReady TVs have Standard def tuner built in, while HD Built in have HD Tuner Built in.

Xbox 360 preimium comes with component cables to run at HD. Means you don't have to buy a VGA cable to use it on an HDTV.

I recomend running all Xbox 360 games in 720p. LCD is progressive in nature. Basicaly it will not output interlaced frames, it needs to be deinterlaced. If you input 1080i it will display it at 520p. 720p gives you 200 more lines on a LCD than 1080i, in short it will look better.

7. Fle@

Fle@ Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GTX KO vivo
    ones comes with a hd tunner the LCD HDTV and maybe a pair of speakers may be offered

Monitors dont get tunners you can get that from cable or direct tv anyways.

I needed for pc use and a pc home theater so I got the

DELL ULTRA SHARP 2405FPW widescreen
    Logitech Z 5500 speakers 5.1 505watt
    Audigy2 zs Platnium PRO with external hub for SPDIF

Its

A)native res 1920by1200

B)HDTV 1920by1080 I or P I

just got diect tv on it .
    Most shows are 720 mostly 20% or less is 1080