Different Container for QuickSync in the future?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by 3DSMatt, May 10, 2014.

1. 3DSMatt

3DSMatt New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7850 / 2GB
    I suppose this might be as much a RivaTuner question as it is an Afterburner one; But would it be possible to change, at some point, the video container used for QuickSync video in Afterburner to something other than MKV? I use Adobe Premiere and it would be a pain to have to re-encode and lose quality just to edit my footage.
    I use DxTory now because of the lack of performance impact but the tiny filesizes of h264 encoding would tempt me over if it was possible to edit it :)

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    You didn't say what container you want.

But why on hell does Premiere not support MKV?
    Isn't there a plugin? There must be one...

little search made me find this one: http://urchin.earth.li/~tomford/avisynth/

Just get AviSynth2 (not 3!) downloaded and installed and the plugin for Premiere, too.
    The write a "Script" with just one Line:
    Code:
    DirectShowSource("filename.mkv") 
    And import the script into Premiere, there you go.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. edison

edison Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX680
    DirectShowSource is not frame-accurate, you should use ffms or LWLibavVideoSource.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  4. 3DSMatt

3DSMatt New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7850 / 2GB
    Oh, thanks! I didn't think you could actually implement that kind of thing into Premiere using plugins, thought they were only for effects and stuff when you'd already imported footage.
    I'll go try it and let you know how it goes, since it says it's only for up to CS4 and I'm running CC.
    (oh and MP4s would be amazing but I remember there being some sort of licensing thing there)

Last edited: May 11, 2014

5. 3DSMatt

3DSMatt New Member

GPU:
    AMD 7850 / 2GB
    I tried to do the whole AVISynth thing but I just couldn't get the script working in Premiere. However, I did find that you can really easily re-encode using something like xmedia recode and to be honest, having tried it, I can't see any sort of real quality drop using the settings I am currently.
    Thanks for the help though!

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    If you just change container and for the video and audio streams select "copy" in xmedia recode there is no quality drop as no real recoding happens.
    It's just a copy in a new container.

If you go fine with this, it should be the best method.

7. jjp

jjp New Member

GPU:
    MSI HD7850
    I use mkvExtractGUI to extract the h264 video. I had to change the file extension to .264 from it's original .h264.

Premiere takes the .264 but not .h264, then tell premiere how to interpret the footage and sync audio and group if you want.

Last edited: May 13, 2014