Dieing HDD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kon$olE, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I have reason to believe that the 40Gig Maxtor on my old rig is at the end of its rope.

Today i tried to copy my music from it to my new computer, and BAM, BSOD+restart.
    Darn, i think, that sucks.
    Tried moving it from D: to C:, same result.

Installing things, running games, or even attempting to listen to the music on it will give the same result. More a less and access to it will result in a BSOD.

Obviously, i would really like to get the stuff off of it before it ceases to appear in windows. I'm going to try the freezer trick, but is there anything else i should consider?

2. ntfx

ntfx Guest

sounds more like the ram than the hdd to me...

HDD's usually start a horrid clicking noise when they are dieing, from experience anyway i had 2 hdd's after 2 years start clicking loads upon boot etc.

3. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Could be, but the reason i was thinking HDD was because the system is fine for any other operation. I have Steam on C:, and it plays fine, where as all my other games, on D:, are kaput.

I'll run memtest though, just to be safe :)

4. ntfx

ntfx Guest

let me know whats going on, Sorry im not much help, blasted on rum and coke, off out in 30 mins.

Theres many hdd diagnostic programs on google to help you out. But honestly. All my hdd's have worked fine until i got the dreaded clicking noise, where i had to hard reset around 4 times to get the hdd to boot.

but bearing in mind that was in the days when 6.4gb was top of the range. I havent ever had a hdd failure since lol.

Definitely to me sounds like a ram issue. But you don't look like the sort to use cheap ram....

Where in canada you at?

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    run chkdisk. supposedly 1 error means theres a 60% chance of your drive dieing within 60 days.

also symtoms of a dieing drive can range:
    software malfunction, bsod's, sudden missing system files...etc

to be sure, first run memtest, if thats ok and since you might be assuming your losing your drive anyway you might as well wipe it and attempt a reinstall just to see how that goes.

also if you have a dieing chipset on your mobo..it can cause weird software problems and bsod's as well. usually it gradually gets worse till it locks up at bios, then its new mobo time

6. Don Rockard

Don Rockard Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX/TR HR-03 Plus
    If you have an IDE connector in your "new" computer, put the HDD in that as a secondary drive and try copying the data.

That way you know if it's hdd or something else in your old pc (or simply something wrong with Windows)

7. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Memtest turned out fine, no problems. I'm running some nice OCZ ram in the system with the troubles :)
    Located not too far from you, acctually! SJ, NB.

xrc6, i will definitely try chkdisk. I dont like my odds, though :(

Don, i thought about that, but my old case is a piece of junk: to get the HDD out i would have to take the entire rig apart, which i would rather not do; i just got the wiring the way i like it!

8. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Download HDtune (freeware) and see how healthy the mentioned Harddrive really is.

http://www.hdtune.com/

Good luck!

9. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Chkdsk gave me a BSOD, i tired an other wise unused PSU wire and a new IDE cable, no luck. I managed to delete some stuff from the drive, hopefully that will help at least a bit.

HD Tune gave it a failing grade:

[​IMG]

The highlighted item was the only one that failed. I don't really understand the error, though.

Im going to try the Error Scan option on HD Tune, and then try to defrag. I don't expect them to work, but I'll try anything once! :)

10. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I little bump, going to disassemble the rig to get the drive out. I really hope it works! :)