Did you buy a 7950?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Netherwind, Jan 31, 2012.

?

Have you bought a 7950

1. Yes of course!

10 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Not yet but I will quite soon.

7 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No, it's too expensive.

39 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. No, I've already got a 7970 or something better

14 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. No, I'll wait for Kepler

42 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    agree with you snajlen, i think a good way to go with gpu is to wait 2 gen before make a move to a newer gpu, that's i always do.

2. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    I was looking forward to 7850 but it seems the prices won't be "interesting" as AMD seems to be covering Faildozer flop from GPU department and not dropping the prices a bit. They felt the king of the hill tingling after 6990 and they will lose many customers due to that IMO.

If 78xx turn out to be overpriced, I'll get 6950 or 6970 which will be a nice upgrade over my 6850, but like it's been said many times, you won't need anything more for single fullHD display anytime soon, even when the so-called new gen consoles come into play.

3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I'm going to pass on the HD7k's and probably grab a pair of GTX770's assuming my wallet allows for it. As much as I love AMD, they simply don't have the features I want for my next upgrade.

4. garrett

garrett New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950 WF3
    I bought Gigabyte's custom 7950: GV-R795WF3-3GD. I'm happy with it (I had Radeon 5970 before) but it seems I can't overclock the core at all (memory overclocks fine). Crysis 2 crashes with even the slightest overclock (the game runs fine without overclock). Maybe because it is already factory overclocked from 800Mhz to 900MHz but I read everywhere that 1000MHz is no problem for these cards:)

5. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    Just Bought mine today In a Scan today only sale.Its a lot quieter than my 5850's were in crossfire,plus I have managed to sell one of those to help pay for it.Skyrim now in ultra and dont have to worry about rubbish crossfire drivers again.

6. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    why stop playing games

Yes djjonastybe why stop playing games. I am 63 now with over 107 hours on skrim and I love it. No intention of stopping playing !

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Isnt performerance vs 5850CF exactly the same or even slightly worse?
    What are your temps & fan speeds in idle and load?

8. garrett

garrett New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon 7950 WF3
    OK, the problem was that Gigabyte set the GPU VID lower than others (also Sapphire did the same with their 7950 OC version) - 0,993V instead of AMD's default 1,093V. After "correcting" it using Afterburner I could set the card to 1000MHz without issues :)

9. eue

eue Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    i bought the 7970... the price difference must be bigger to consider the 7950 whit the cheaper pcb

10. Roelio

Roelio New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    Just installed the 7950 from Sapphire with dual fan. This card is owning everything with temperature < 60 and 1175 MHz at 1.150 Volt.

11. lil chris

lil chris Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD 7950PCS+
    Sorry for not replying mate,Ive not checked temps on load etc,but my main concern was not having to rely on crossfire drivers. Also my motherboard(ripped off with incorrect info when I bought it) was only 4 lanes on the second slot so not fullon crossfire anyway,thats another story I'll not go into. I now have a second pc made out of spares(intel core 2 6600 quad) running skrim on my 40" samsung in the front room using one of the Radeon 5850's.

12. leopr

leopr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti OC
    Just curious which features are you talking about ? 3D Vision ?

13. jhatfie

jhatfie Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    No joke, my Sapphire 7950 OC is a beast as well. 1200/1750 24/7 clocks at 1.2v and does 1270/1790 @1.27v stable enough for benching all while staying nice and cool with relatively low amounts of noise since the cooler is pretty damn efficient. At that speed, absolutely destroys the performance of my old GTX580 that did 950Mhz and is really close to my unlocked and OC'd 6950's I used to run in x-fire.

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    No. Besides, AMD has their own form of 3d vision.

At the time I made that post, AMD didn't allow for driver forced AA in DX10/11 games, but it seems they're finally jumping on that ball. However, I prefer Nvidia's FXAA ( even though it only works in OpenGL at the moment ), and I like how I can force my monitor up to 2560x1440 with NVCP. Then there's the fact that Nvidia has more AA modes available via drivers than AMD.

15. Desi26

Desi26 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC
    Im absolutely LOVING my Sapphire 7950 OC! Stays very very cool even while playing for hours on end.

I can now get into Metro 2033 since I can play it with maxed DX11 at 1080p :)