Did Windows 11 remove the bespoke Ryzen Power Plans?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BlindBison, Sep 6, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I have the latest chipset drivers installed but the power plans no longer read out as "Ryzen Balanced" / "Ryzen High Performance" etc. Has something gone askew or did Windows 11 just remove the bespoke Ryzen power plans and moniker on the latest builds? Thanks, couldn't find this info googling round.
    upload_2022-9-5_20-5-47.png
    upload_2022-9-5_20-5-26.png

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you use the Balanced power scheme, and then set the performance profile on the Windows settings power/battery app.

machete, akbaar and BlindBison like this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, that's helpful -- in that case the ideal setup would be to set the "Windows Control Panel" value to "balanced" then just change the settings app -> system -> power -> settings to best performance, balanced or whatever here correct? upload_2022-9-5_22-27-6.png
    upload_2022-9-5_22-27-34.png
    Thanks! So, to clarify if you wanted "best performance" you would leave the bottom image on balanced then switch the top image to "best performance" I mean.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Correct!

setting the power plan to anything else actually hides the control from the settings app.

DanielRX, akbaar, chinobino and 2 others like this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, much appreciated

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Hi, curious, what device is that, some OEM laptop?

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm using a Desktop not a laptop -- Ryzen 5800X + 3070 + 2x8 Gig 3600 MHz DDR4 sticks + NVMe drive and G-Sync 144 Hz 1440p monitor. I actually ended up moving back to the default "balanced" plan (with Ryzen chipset drivers installed of course) as for whatever reason I was getting slightly higher frequency in my initial tests with balanced. Could just be run to run variance I suppose but I didn't notice much of any difference shifting from balanced to performance.

8. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    I have the latest chipset drivers installed and all the latest update win 11 pro and my power plans read out as "Ryzen Balanced" / "Ryzen High Performance"

cgccfcf.jpg

BlindBison likes this.
  9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hm, that concerns me a bit then though I don't have the "pro" version. When I installed the ryzen chipset drivers it does not read them out with "AMD Ryzen" like that. Well darn, not sure how to resolve that but it makes me wonder if it's not working correctly -- what CPU are you using per chance? Maybe it's related to that, I have a 5800X. Thanks,

EDIT: OK so AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs don't require it anymore so it's not installed with the Chipset driver package it seems:https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/missing-power-plans-on-amd-ryzen-5000-series/td-p/259920

10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    upload_2022-9-7_17-49-35.png
    Image if that link dies in the future or if it's easier for viewing

11. Is there any difference in using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan + Max Performance, vs Ultimate Power Plan?

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Use this for proper downclocking at idle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lf0P8lP5ztvbjHehQJ6Ujv9v1vtk9sBl/view?usp=sharing

Just install the Win 11 Ryzen 5000 profile. Works great for 99% of games. Some games actually benefit from the High Performance mode. I find that the Balanced mode in Windows is a little hit and miss and its quite slow at ramping up clocks but then other times it can be way too aggressive leading to higher temps.

DanielRX likes this.
  13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    For what it's worth, I haven't noticed anything being worse with the normal "balanced" plan in Windows 10. The only difference is that AMD's "balanced" isn't actually balanced. It keeps the CPU at its max clock, all the time, for no apparent benefit whatsoever. At least on my 3700X system.

DanielRX likes this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    In my experienced I noticed games weren't clocking the CPU as high for some reason when I used performance over balanced.

So, to test that I did the following with my 5800X system:
    1) installed latest chipset drivers for Win11
    2) played Spiderman Remastered with ryzen balanced plan (er, technically I guess win11 doesn't have that anymore but balanced) -- CPU frequency reported by RTSS reached 4850 at times
    3) did the same test with performance power plan and reached like 4700 iirc

Now, this was not a thorough or official test and I only tried this like 3 times in one game so maybe it was just bad luck and where I was in the city, who knows. But I noticed no difference and maybe even a slight to the better with balanced myself.

15. machete

machete Member Guru

GPU:
    Asrock PG 6800XT
    lol i didnt kno u could do this thanks