Did the HDD just died?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by D1stRU3T0R, Jun 10, 2021.

1. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Did my HDD just died? When I plug it in, its going up to 100% activity with NO LOAD whatsoever, then keeps being at 100% with very high response time, being very unusable.
    So this happened to me before, but it wasn't like that when I booted up the PC, so sometimes I had luck and it just went away. I figured it out back then, that it happened bcs I wanted to copy a big file over, and when I started copying, that happened. So yesterday, I compiled a kernel on Ubuntu like multiple times, and even now I have like 7 copys of it. I wanted to delete them but it got VERY, VERY slow, from 50mb/s to 30 and down to 300kb... then I rebooted to windows, it barely worked, tried to delete but it would just hang up. Next step was to reboot PC, but it wouldn't boot just infinetly load. I disconnected the HDD and everything went good (the windows is on a nvme m2, no idea why it wouldn't boot tho lol). So did the kernel repos f-ed up my 2TB disk, or what happened? In total I guess it was like 50GB, not bigger...
    If I try to accest FIle Manager or check a folder, it instantly hangs up, being dead.
    [​IMG]

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    boot the computer on Linux live mode, disable SMART within BIOS.
    from CLI install TestDisk and run it as root.
    Check the integrity of the partition or simply the data.

*știu că poți, mai ales că ai zis ca ți-ai compilat kernelul frate. succes

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  3. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    So after almost half an hour, it became back to normal, BUT after when I went into the folder to delete all my old kernel sources, it froze again. Now i pressed delete, and its reading those file with like 10 item per second (from 10.000-1.000.000). I'll wait to see what will happen and after try your solution, thank you very much!

*să-mi bag picioru, trebuia să dau eu hdd-u meu vechi de 500gb, 24% health dar perfect sănătos pe ăsta cu probleme cu 100% health... csf, dar iti multumesc mult pt ajutor

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its a seagate, yes its dead.

Seek error rates are probably nuts in the smart stats.

OldMX likes this.

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    upload_2021-6-10_15-57-33.png

How tf it died like this? Also, it is kinda normal if I let it idle, but as soon as I start writing something it is dead. Should I just format the entire HDD ?
    I'm trying to backup something before deleting entre Ubuntu workplace, but its copying with 30kb, and now 5kb and even 0 ....

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Formatting isn't going to help, do a sector by sector backup to reduce head movement and replace the drive.

The actuator is faulty.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @D1stRU3T0R
    The most successful recovery/management of a failing drive I used is the following.
    hardware side:
    The HDD connected directly to the motherboard via a god quality S ATA cable. Preferably an older motherboard, in which one can set manually the PIO mode.
    the HDD well ventilated, connected to a good PSU, another same size or bigger capacity HDD connected.
    Software side:
    I used Parted Magic. But also you can install these tools in any Linus distro.

DDRescue GUI makes it easy to recover/copy al the sectors in REVERSE.
    Yes, because reading in reverse skips the caching of the information being read. If something goes bad in advance, having that 128 MB in cache, your reading is failing NOW.
    Reading in reverse is just sector by sector, ddrescue skips bad sectors, marks those and creates an image, using the faulty hdd as a "torrent".
    Using the log, you can go after those marked sectors and insisnt on them, after you read most of your data.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.
  8. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    @anticupidon (256MB cache huehue), but good advices, multumesc.

Thank you both for your help, actually it was exactly how I though it is, the folder in which I had all the kernel sources apparently had problems (idk, corrupted? but they were still working, but slowly) and whenever I tried to accest them, the HDD would go nuts. Now that I renamed it to Windows.old and I deleted it with Disk Cleanup, the HDD is running smoothly (for now). I just tested error checking and its still going, so I'll keep it updated, since I saw many people had this problem, but they couldn't figure it out how to fix it.

edit: aparently it fixed something: Log Name: ApplicationSource: ChkdskDate: 6/10/2021 4:53 - Pastebin.com

edit2: 4 of the folders are still there, trying to delete them. They seems to be the faulty ones (or at least a small part of them)
    upload_2021-6-10_16-58-27.png

edit3: RMDIR /S /Q did its job, now it's fully deleted. It's working as before. Well, ty ubuntu again for screwing up something /s

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    different OS, different data handling
    doesn't have as a surprise, but different OSs handle HDD/data differently.
    Anyone knows/remebers how easily was to "recover" data from a Mac OS HDD by opening it under a live Linux with Apple HFS libraries built-in?

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This usually isn't sector failure / weak sectors.
    The actuator is unstable and overshooting data location every flick, I've seen it with a good number of seagate disks between 2006 and 2015.

I haven't seen volume bitmap errors since Windows XP, installed to an ide seagate spinner.

The NTFS version that permits read/write on ubuntu may be buggy, some of these were also due to less extensive journalling in prior versions.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Astyanax you're right, as usual.
    Just stated what happened in my cases...
    And Seagate has the above mentioned issues, without doubt.

12. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @D1stRU3T0R is not so common, Ubuntu acting up that way.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't want to be right XD, I'm just saying what i've seen to be the usual for a seagate disk presenting speed issues.

In this case it might legitimately be the ubuntu R/W NTFS driver being shite, the Vista one was after all XD

14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Roger that.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    A quick and easy way of checking if a hard drive has some form of error is with CrystalDiskInfo, it is free.... basically just reads smart data.

Here is an example of a hard drive error that it can show, this specific hard drive has a relocated sector error.

[​IMG]