Did nvidia just secretly fix the gtx 970 Vram issue??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by samusprime89, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samusprime89

samusprime89 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I havent seen anyone mention this yet but i just tested both assassins creed unity and shadow of mordor with the new 347.52 drivers and to my complete surprise it seems that the drivers have somewhat fixed the Vram issue, but let me explain. before in both games i could max out both of them and every time the Vram would always max out at around 3533 MB range and would never exceed that unless i increased the resolution with DSR , when both games reached that 3.5 gb mark i would get completely random stutter and a slight fps drop. upon my testing Shadow of mordor showed a very good performance gain over the previous drivers and it was able to properly use 3.7 - 3.8 gb of vram without even affecting the framerate or cause any noticeable stutter, The FPS stayed over 75 the entire time in shadow of mordor! ,maybe its a placebo??? keep in mind both games are maxed out at 1080p only. I want others who have a gtx 970 to test this and tell me if this is just not a fluke, or did Nvidia really do something secretly and didnt tell us...

look at this test with Nais Vram tool, you can clearly see huge improvements over the previous drivers, what the hell did Nvidia do and why didnt they tell us anything? did some more testing on shadow of mordor, the game uses well over 3.5gb with no hesitation now.

tested on 347.52 drivers
    [​IMG]

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Have you even looked at other peoples results from the same test?
    Here is one from the 970 memory allocation thread.
    [​IMG]
    And he's using much older 344.11 drivers. Slightly better results then you.

No, it's not fixed. Or even changed. It's something that you are going to have to live with. Luckily, it's a very very easy thing to live with outside of this silly benchmark.

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Others are reporting slightly better usage and better gameplay .

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2420580

There not going to be able to fix the bandwidth like in that test, but they maybe can throw data that is not reused a lot to the 512 segment .

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    If they had put a 192-bit bus for the card, the card had a full 4gb pool of vram. But they wanted to keep the 256-bit bus.

5. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
  6. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Asks if Nvidia fixed the problem, posts a test showing that they clearly didn't. Wow.

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Quite masterful with the paintbrush I see! lol! :)

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Yes but speed of the whole 4GB would has dropped pretty significantly.

The main issue with the 970's is that they disabled three SMU's to make it different from the 980 and give it 1664 cores rather than 2048.

By doing this they crippled the cards output processing as the card even with 1664 cores can't feed the 64 ROPs. So they turned off a portion of the L2 cache and placed a bridge between the other L2 cache so the memory controller can still info to last few ROP's.

But doing this caused the memory to slow down dramatically so they created two pools of memory 3.5GB and 0.5GB keeping the first 3.5GB running at peak speeds running over the 256bit bus and then accessing the 0.5GB bus when needed.

The miscommunication between their marketing team is what caused this issue. As they marketed it as 64 ROP card when in fact it has 56 ROP's but even then the 1664 cores can't feed 56 ROP's they can only feed 52 ROP's. So even though we do have 56 ROP's we are only using 52 of them.

Watch the PCPER podcasts they explain things much better than me.

9. samusprime89

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    got a video up on youtube, as you can clearly see the Vram usage is going beyond 3.5gb easily and with no stutter! please guys we need more testing, if you have a gtx 970 test these games and see if you find the same results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKUzktpBr2g

10. ChatBR

ChatBR Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB
    Placebo effect.

Just shows how it was never that big of a problem in the first place.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Some of the people that experienced stuttering had it from old drivers for other components in their system, DPC Latency spikes.

Some had stuttering cause of leave overs from AMD drivers.

And some because they think that they can push the GTX970 as much as a GTX980 can be pushed.

A lot of them got hysterical and blamed it on the 4GB discovery.

The 347.52 has performance improvements for some games when used with the 900 series, but I doubt that it fixed the stuttering for those with the mentioned issues.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Maybe he used a marker on his screen :D

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    192-bit bus = 3 x 64-bit. That means 1.5GB, 3GB, 6GB, etc... are the possible configurations such that all the VRAM operates at the same maximum speed. The 970 would have been a 3GB card had it had a 192-bit bus, and it wouldn't have qualified as a 970 anyway (should be a 980 with some components disabled as all previous generations show us).

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Not my image :)

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    A 192-bit memory bandwidth would seriously cripple performance in for example CryEngine games, and in most DX9 games with forced SGSSAA.
    Even 256-bit isn't optimal in this respect.

Future Maxwell cards will most likely be 384-bit (like the GK110 used in Titan, 780 etc.), which will allow for very fast 6GB and 12GB cards.
    This is what I'm waiting for (SLI of course) ;)
    And there is no real "problem" with the VRAM of the 970, it just allocates memory in a different way than for example the 980.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I was wondering when someone would start yet ANOTHER 970 VRAM thread based on a "benchmark" that just doesn't work.....

17. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    This thread has to be closed.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If we keep bumping it, it will grow. Just do not click on it.
    PS. sorry for the bump. Notice the smiley face in the thread title?

19. Axaion

Axaion Active Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    yeah man the bumps are unreal

20. samusprime89

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.