Did Newegg/UPS screw me over?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cartman372, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    980 FTW
    So here is how it goes:

The day before Christmas, I ordered myself a Logitech Z-5500 as a Christmas present (to myself) and got it through Newegg.

The price was $302.99 for the Z-5500 and $44.58 for "UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service" so the total came to $347.57.

Well I got my Tracking Number the 27th (yesterday at the time of posting), I went to UPS.com to check the status of the package and it reads:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Rescheduled Delivery: 01/05/2009
    Shipped To: GAINESVILLE, FL, US
    Shipped/Billed On: 12/26/2008
    --------------------------------------------------------

I saw the delivery date and I couldn't believe it. So I called up UPS to see what was going on, and they told me that it wasn't UPS 3 Day, it was UPS GROUND.

The thing that makes it even more messed up, is that Newegg doesn't offer UPS Ground (which is 3-7 Bus. days) for the Z-5500. They only offer UPS 3 Day, 2nd Day, and Next day or FedEx Express, FedEx 2nd Day, or FedEx Overnight.

And I did notice that on my Order Confirmation that was printed, it says "UPS Ground: $44.58"

But when I originally selected a shipping method, I chose UPS 3Day. Now that I look at Newegg's site, it shows the Z-5500 has Free Shipping, and the free shipping only applies to the "UPS Guaranteed 3 Day Service".

So all in all, I've paid $44.58 for a method that was supposed to arrive in THREE days (Guarenteed 3 Days), now it's going to be six days (not counting weekends). Today (monday) I will be calling up Newegg to TRY and get this sorted out. But all that can really happen, is the Shipping costs MIGHT get refunded, but either way, I wont be getting this till the 5th of January (which happens to be the day my Winter Break ends)

So does it sound like I've been screwed atleast for the time being?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Something is fishy, I'd contact Newegg and ask them asap.

3. Bio Shock

Bio Shock Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6950
    i had a similiar problem, except my shipping method was 2 day AIR of all things.............ordered a new motherboard from newegg on the 23rd and i still dont have it

it actually made it to my city today (27th) but it being saturday UPS dont deliver and when i called they said i couldnt pick it up unless specified in the order....so im stuck another 2 days without it and its sitting about 10 minutes away

but heres what i did.........call newegg customer support and tell them you arent satisfied with the delivery option since you were expecting it to be here on time as a gift, when i told the lady on the phone i had 2 day air delivery and still didnt have my package they offered to take all shipping charges off for me, which came to $23 and some change.....its only right they reimburse you for the costs, they cant charge you for a service you didnt receive

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Newegg does not ship on weekends. Also if you order something on a Wensday, you will not get it till at least Tuesday, no matter what shipping you pay for. With Christmas being in the middle of that mess as well as New Years, that is a very acceptable date. Sure it may not be what you wanted, but thats alot of off days and weekends in there. The order was not even shipped by friday, so at soonest it will be shipped Monday. Then the New Years takes 2 days off of that and then a weekend. Happens at the holiday season.

5. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Wait, you paid that much money for Z-5500 speakers only? I have seen them as low as $150 (on sale of course), but you can find them all day long for under $200.

What are you talking about about everything takes at least 6 days? I've had things delivered from NewEgg in 3 days every time I get 3 day shipping. Hell they even brought it in 2 days once when they shipped from the NJ warehouse instead of CA.

6. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Good Lord in a hand basket I have never paid over $30 dollars for shipping on anything ever!
    Also $300 for the Z5500??? WTF??? I've seen them around $150 as well.
    I too have had things delivered from NewEgg in 3 days time not including weekends.

Cartman372 you should take in to effect human and or machine error. Also remember the holidays push orders back as well the winter weather. As well UPS does not ship on Sundays or Holidays I don't know the exact day/s but for sure Christmas.

Also I doubt NewEgg "screwed you" they don't get to be that big and popular and go about regularly screwing people.

7. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    There are 2 holidays involved in his order. That alone will bog down UPS. Around the holiday season you can pay whatever you want for fast shipping, but there is no promise it will make it there in that time. The best that can happen is a refund of the faster shipping. I live in Texas and have had items ordered on or after Wensday arrive 6 to 8 days later, even with rush and "next day" shipping. Next day shipping does not mean it arrives the next day. Read all the fine print on what the different methods mean. On non holiday orders I have had good luck with Newegg. Rule #1 is order before Wensday if you want the item before the weekend. Sure I have gotten items in 2 days or less(they have a warehouse in Dallas,Tx) but I do not count on it. Also we are talking about UPS here, while they are pretty good, they are human and will make errors. Drivers also can and do miss packages on their trucks. Having them rushing their asses off for the holidays makes it worse.

8. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    You could have found those speakers for at least $150 less than that. For shame.

9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    Rochin: i'm not sure that YOU had read all the fine print. Newegg's "Guaranteed 3-day shipping" even says right in the information for it that it does not include processing time.... which if you place the order in the morning tends to be done finished that night, and possibly even packed and with UPS that night. And you say that ordering something on the 24th with 3rd day shipping and not getting the item till 12 days later is acceptable "because of holiday's"? I ordered an Asus Eee PC 1002HA on Thursday night (in case you weren't aware.... CHRISTMAS NIGHT). Processing was finished Friday, and i already have the tracking numbers, and the Eee has already been scanned in at the NJ warehouse. I live in PA. It's still scheduled to be here this coming Monday.

Granted... i know i'm probably a fair bit closer to the warehouse where my Eee is shipping from than he is to his.... but i can't really see anything beyond possibly New Years Eve as being acceptable "because of holidays".

10. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    even with the chirstmas time, weekends and other time, what about the FREE SHIPPING on the item.
    so yea if you get them to refund that, i would call it good.

11. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
  12. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    hmm weird, my sister ordered me these for christmas. she was having some issues with the billing adress(we moved, she moved out) and so the order got voided the first time, it was the 3-day ground for $50, plus the regular $300, and $20 tax(estimating, i dont know the exact numbers)

though on the 26th we went back on to check if it shipped(when we found out it got voided) so we reordered it, and it was free 3-day shipping! i think they did something strange with the holiday shipping @ UPS. not exactly sure what was going on.

luckly i live in california, so the newegg warehouse is only about 200-400 miles away.
    but the order got voided again. XD

definitly something weird with your shipping, UPS probably delivered it to the wrong place, and sent it back. :bang:

UPS, otherwise known as "oops".

13. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    I work for UPS, so consider this "informed." The voids are not an action that UPS performs, it is strictly on Newegg. They probably cancelled shipment because your address does not match. If all you see is billing info received and the void, UPS never picked up the box. The last thing UPS wants to do is miss out on a billing.

Now, back to the thread topic. Cutting out all the caveats: UPS makes no time guarantees for ground packages picked up or scheduled for delivery in December, regardless of cause, period. Without knowing the particulars, I can't speak to the basis for the revised delivery date, but it does not matter. And yes, it is in the terms of agreement.

However, everything I have said pertains strictly between Newegg and UPS. Your beef, in regards to service level, shipping costs and timeliness is between you and Newegg. UPS is not, and will not be, involved with that dispute. Whatever promises were made to you, and any ensuing remedy, must come from Newegg; it's their guarantee, not ours.

Moral of the story? CALL NEWEGG!!!

14. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
    You can get them from Dell for $269.00 and with Free shipping.....Funny thing is about a year ago when I ordered my Z5500's I choose Newegg as well, After placing the order it set in processing for nearly 5 days, I called to find out what the problem was and they stated that the Warehouse was out at one location but was available at another, but in order to ship it from the other warehouse I would have to reorder since they decided to cancel the first order(without notification or Email) , They apologized for the mixup and offered me $10 off on the shipping..Of course I would be looking at another 4 to 5 days before delivery....I basically had to bite my lip in anger at this really lame bone they were throwing my way..told them to keep it and placed the order with Dell, got it 2 days later with free shipping to boot...I still order from Newegg quite often but they do drop the ball from time to time.....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz

16. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    yeah took them 10days to get my package to me ordered it the 17th won't get it till the 29th. Filed a complaint with newegg and don't have to pay the shipping now. just call them up and file a complaint on the shipping and usually they won't make you pay it.