Did i made a wrong purchase ? - MSI Optix G27C4

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Smokey25, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Im coming from an HP2311Gt,a monitor from 2011,a regular non gaming monitor. I recently bought the MSI Optix G27C4 because of its ability to use up to 165hz and saying its an 1ms monitor,while not being overly expensive. Im far from being impressed.

The screen looks bland,whites look like yellow,its lacking colour and text looks like garbage on desktop/browsing compared to my HP monitor. Reading text is damn near hurting my eyes with upping dpi to 110 - 120% and then still its nowhere near great to look at. Reading this text right here on this forum looks good,but when i scroll it has an excessive amount of ghosting,its like enabling chromatic aberation in a game.

In games it adds a crazy amount of motion blur and ghosting which is also very apparant when doing several tests on https://www.testufo.com/ghosting. Even my text is ghosting quite a bit when im scrolling in my browser or windows,even when adjusting Cleartype. And no matter what i try to change,its usually only making things worse. E.g if i try to improve my screens quality by adjusting the contrast/gamma/brightness ratio,the ghosting will be more excessive overall. Do want to add that fullscreen Video playback ( Movies ) look great, as watching this video or , but Gaming/typical window use/browsing does not.

Is there some firmware patch coming out soon or some new driver with better calibrated settings ? Because im about to send this back and use my monitor from 2011 again wich has less ghosting,less motion blur,better colours,and better contrast/brightness ratio aswell. And although my older Hp 2311GT is not 1ms,it felt Much smoother than the MSI G27C4 for some reason. Its damn near absurd that this is supposed to be an "1ms" "gaming" monitor and what it describes to do is absolute bs from what ive seen and most settings you can enable in the monitors menu will just make things worse. All my games play and look worse than on my older monitor.

Its also weird how you sell a 165hz screen but are unable to add in a DP cable which is needed to reach 165hz but instead give us a HDMI cable that only goes up to 120hz.

I don't know what to do atm. Shall i just return this ? Shall i wait for some firmware patch or a new monitor driver file ? Im really not happy with my purchase and atm seriously regret buying this.

I posted this message in the MSI forum ( https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=329412.0 ) ,hoping for a reply.Im so bummed atm hoping I would get Less motion blur a faster response time and better looking screen,but it seems to be the complete opposite :(

Also want to ask can using a 20pin DP cable compared to a 19pin be the cause of excessive ghosting or a lack of screen quality ? Im using the 20pin so far,i just learned about how its recommended to use one without the 20pin being enabled since its giving extra volt you dont need. Like when i turn off my PC completely my mobo light is still on and one fan keeps spinning at a lower speed and i can hear the DP cable buzz a bit,giving power.

Shall i just get my old CRT monitor out again because i remember ghosting/motion blur only having become an issue with all these new amazing 4k 8k ultimate refreshrate maximum response time superduper clear quality OMG SO AMAZING :eek:!!!! Lcd monitors . Its like they took one step forward but 3 steps back. We can have 4k 8k monitors with 165hz but more ghosting/motion blur than a monitor out of the early 2000's. It seems so hard to get a proper monitor nowadays without having to spend 1-2k,or i just had bad luck with buying this one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Did you try killing any Overdrive? Also from Tom's:

"You can also control motion blur with a backlight strobe if you wish, and there’s an effective overdrive, plus aiming points, low input lag and quick panel response."

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That monitor comes calibrated from the factory?
    Did you tried different .ICC profiles on it, and make some comparative analysis?

4. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+

I dont see any overdrive setting at all. I have some Anti motion blur setting but it just seems to make things worse.

@anticupidon Its not well calibrated out of the box i feel, i did try to calibrate my settings a bit but although the screen quality increases,the motion blur will get excessive. I 'd also have no clue how to set up a new "better" profile,im using the ICC profile downloaded from the MSI website for my monitor.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Set Response Time to Normal. Anti-Motion Off

6. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  7. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Im seeing several topics on their forum,people with different types of MSI Optix monitors describing the same issue as i have. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=319540.0

And customer support is like,disable freesync,set response time to normal..disable this disable that disable all those extra features you payed money for :rolleyes:...And then still they cant seem to fix it.

Lots of people do not seem to be happy with their monitors and especially not with their customer support. And apparantly for some monitors there is new firmware available that should fix some issues,but its required to send the damn thing to them..

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=325159.0

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    There are .ICC profiles on the internet, I had bookmarked a website with profiles for all monitor brands, but I've lost it.
    Search for .ICC database, or something.
    You can create a .ICC profile with a calibration device, like the Spyder.
    And as for the cable, even the Amazon basic cable -Display Port can used.

9. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Thanks for the reply. I found this site https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm but it doesnt list the monitor i have. Im not about to buy another device just for this monitor either. Atm im so terribly unhappy with this thing,and especially reading all these negative posts on the MSI forum from people with different types of Optix monitors i have little hope that im gonna be able to fix this and am afraid im gonna have to return this. The screen is just hurting my eyes to look at,its blurry but sharp at the same time,its so weird and unpleasant to look at.

Do you have any knowledge about proper monitors ? I would love to be recommended a monitor with near to no ghosting going on and with a decent screen quality from around 250 euro. I dont need 4k,im just having an 970GTX so i wont be able to properly use that resolution in any game anways and play at 1080p. I dont really need 165hz neither,just aslong as the response time is proper,and has no ghosting and is pleasant to look at.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sorry fellow guru, monitors are out of my league, but I can point to someone who can help.
    Tim@HardwareUnboxed is very knowledgeable in monitors area.

And maybe you are looking for this monitor

Smokey25 likes this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This is the monitor I could upgrade, giving the opportunity to buy it in Europe, which for the moment is kinda hard and costly.

12. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Thanks i checked it out but i think im gonna get this one https://www.bol.com/nl/p/asus-vg278...tgh=okVMD0W4bShxUPEKpeFFVA.1_4.5.ProductImage

Ghosting seems to be next to none, i checked out the newer ISP panel model but ive already read too much about it having Ghosting. I think TN panels might be the best pick when it comes to that issue. My older HP monitor was also TN i believe,that might explain alot since the MSI i had was VA.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well, choose whatever gets the most real, hands-on reviews.

14. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    My MSI monitor will be returned tomorrow. Im gonna settle for buying the Asus VG278QR

https://www.asus.com/nl/Monitors/VG278QR/

Now my question is, what will give me the best image quality when using 1920x1080 resolution, 25 or 27 inch screen?

15. Hemisfear

Hemisfear Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    27 inch => 1440p
    24/25 inch => 1080p

16. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+

Thought so. I will go for the 25 inch then. When i have the monitor i'll post in this thread if im satsified with the screen and how everything looks and works compared to the MSI Optix.

17. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    I decided to go for the BenQ Zowie XL2536, 144hz 25inch.The standard is build like a tank,literally its heavy as frack and really sturdy. I can shake it and try to move it on my desk but nothing is moving. You can turn the monitor in about every direction, even pivot.The screen quality itself out of the box was horrid ! Because it was set at one of those Gamemodes. Took me 2 minutes to set the screen quality to my likings. It has an external device to use the monitors menu,its super easy to use. The text clarity compared to the MSI is like night and day. I can move my browser around and i can still read my text. No ghosting,no blurring,no coronas. The screen so far is also softer to look at for some reason,its just more pleasant to the eyes. Having done all the tests on Testufo i can say Dyac is amazing. Games are smooth as butter,same thing,no ghosting or blurring or any of the issues i had with the MSI Optix.

Glad i bought this one and i would def recommend it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  18. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    LMAO. TWO DAYS..After i made my purchase,the newer version the BenQ Zowie XL 2540 got a massive discount from 499 to 379e, 4 bucks above the price i payed for mine. So i send a mail to where i bought it from and im getting the newer version for the lower price lol..

SpajdrEX likes this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Schweet. I'm enjoying paying off my monitor purchase in 5 payments with no interest from Amazon. :) Tho I also learned something interesting. When I was troubleshooting my BenQ problems, and they inadvertantly returned a refurb model to me instead of my perfectly working new one that just needed a firmware update (grrrrr!), they offered an option to keep the refurb and get $235 back if I was happy with it. After doing the math, based on their current pricing of $399 new, that would mean you can buy a refurb EW3270U from BenQ for $164. Damn. Should have thought of that earlier, and will keep that in mind on new models to come.

I decided on requesting a new one, because the refurb was a couple of revisions old on the firmware, and I would have to send it back to them to get it flashed... on this one, if you put it into HDR Simulated mode, the colors didn't get enhanced, which defeats the purpose.

20. Smokey25

Smokey25 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 FTW+
    Strange how many monitors still need to be send back to the company for a firmware update. I read the same on MSI forum,people getting a monitor with old firmware,just have them a day and right away having to RMA them to somewhere in Poland for an firmware update.. I think its ridiculous really. We should be able to do this ourselves.

Chastity likes this.