1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I just overclock my i5 4590?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Smough, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    So, this happened because I was looking for ways to increase the performance in Resident Evil 2 Remake. I am currently playing the game on an i5 4590 and a GTX 1060. The GPU is not the problem, but at that game I seems to be CPU limited at some areas. I decided to go into the BIOS and search everything to see if I could get a bit of more performance from the little guy. Turns out that leaving the clock speed fixed at 3.70 GHz+enabling Intel SpeedStep+enabling TurboBoost made Windows report a speed of over 4.00 GHz. The task manager reads it like that, but monitoring programs just read the base clock speed of the CPU (3.70 GHz). So what is going on here? Is it OC'ed?

I mean, look at this: https://imgur.com/a/9onqgbw

Lol I don't know what's happening, but I doubt Windows would miss the CPU speed and mark it incorrectly.

By the way, I am on Windows 10 1803x64.

2. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    speedstep is useless so turn it off,

windows can sometimes be finicky like that sometimes mine reports 5ghz but its actually 4.5ghz (4790k)

if you get a decent cooler you can probably oc it still but with locked multiplier you can only adjust the base clock

3. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I have tried to do overclock before, but I can't get it past 3.70 GHz. I would love to get it at over 4.00 GHz, my cooler is pretty big, that is why I wanted to OC it.

4. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    What motherboard do you have?

5. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Not the most advanced one lol: MSI H81M-E33, I've tried to look into the BIOS options, but the CPU multiplier won't go past 37x100, so i think there is not much to do.

6. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    The multiplier is locked on your cpu,, some boards allow you to adjust the base clock upwards .. if you can get just 10 mhz extra that will put you at 4ghz

7. Smough

Smough Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I don't know if I am missing some config, at the moment the best it can do is lock the CPU to 3.70 GHz. The 4.14 task manager reports is wrong because CPU-Z, HWInfo and all other programs show the CPU at 3.70 GHz without the frequency rising at all.

I've searched a bit and read that you could install an older microcode on the CPU or the BIOS to allow more overclocking, but I really don't know how to do it and the tutorials aren't very clear, besides, the tools to do the job don't seem to be available anymore.

8. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Your probably better off saving a bit of money and getting an AMD Ryzen cpu + mobo + ram

Undying likes this.
  9. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    windows 10 task manager is broken on many systems for checking clock speeds, dont use it.

Passus likes this.
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    The older Intel Core processors allow limited overclocking. An increase of the multiplier by 4 beyond the turbo multiplier. That's what I did with my i5 2400. This was possible with Sandy and Ivy. I'm unsure of Haswell or later but it would be worth a try.