Did I just get PWND by nvidia?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by pixelsmack, Nov 30, 2011.

1. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I've been running an ATI 6970 happily for a while now. I recently was given a GTX580sc as payment for a freelance job. So I of course plugged it in.

After some setup I had everything running well. My system is of the home built HTPC variety. My PC connects to my receiver and that goes out to my TV and speakers. All a single digital connection via HDMI.

Using the nvidia audio setup I set sound to 5.1. Did the test and heard sound come from each speaker. This was from within nvidia's own CP.

Sidebar...
    My motherboard supports Dolby Digital Live. This is a MUST for HTPC users who want a single cable digital solution for their multi-channel audio needs. Video games output multi-channel PCM and this is something that gets passed out any digital output in 2-channel stereo otherwise.
    Now to continue...

With my ATI card the HD Audio Sound Manager on my motherboard saw the ATI HDMI Audio device and let me control it. i.e. set it to Dolby Digital Live. Thus giving me awesome 5.1 for all my games over HDMI.

To my horror I see no Nvidia HDMI output device here! In fact it seems the sound I am hearing must be coming solely from the GTX580s onboard sound. It somehow is not integrating itself in to my systems onboard sound. Thus when I play games I am getting only 2-channel stereo! According to sound manager I have no HDMI connection. :bang:

Any ideas or is this the way it is? I might be able to run optical digital audio out from my computer to my receiver and get DDL that way. That's quite a run of cable though. Far from ideal and I might be selling a GTX580sc soon. :\

UPDATE
    It might just be my $300 Yamaha receiver is saving my butt here. Seems it can see all 5.1 channels of a multi-channel PCM signal! So my games are 5.1. Hell my games are outputting much higher audio quality now because of this. (no more DDL compression) It use to be that receivers would only see 2-channels of MPCM due to bandwidth. I guess this is no longer the case? The death of Dolby Digital Live?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Yah HDMI has enough bandwidth for 5.1 Uncompressed Audio. Dolby Digital Live & DTS Connect were made back when Optical & Coxial were the only methods for Digital Audio. Those connections don't have enough bandwidth for full uncompressed 5.1 audio.

3. nakquada

nakquada Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Agree here. Although optical cables have no bandwidth limitation (125mbps roughly), the old DDL and DTS-Con formats are indeed limited to 1.5mbps, resulting in a somewhat bottlenecked, lossy audio solution.

4. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9-290x Windforc
    you better sell that gtx580, cuz all geforces dont have/support pass through audio(which allows you to pass uncompressed 5.1/7.1 dts over HDMI) but all readons from HD4XXX to HD6XXX have this. so your better off using your old readon again.

5. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I was happy with DDL. So if keeping this 580 means DTS-Master Audio files get down-mixed to DTS-HD or even just DTS I'm fine with that. I hardly have the speakers to take advantage of HD audio in my tiny Hollywood apartment. :)

(I just don't want 2.1 only)

6. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    NO, you will be stuck on 2.1 ONLY with GTX580 and no DTS what so ever with GTX series. they will say on the box that they support 7.1 hd audio. thats just for advert and nothing more.

7. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    I'll keep a look out for that. I haven't had that happen yet. My Yamaha confirms as do my ears I am getting 5.1. But I haven't played a DTS-MA disc yet. Is this only true for DTS-MA audio tracks? As I said, so far everything else has been 5.1.

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Er... get a dedicated sound card o_O

Why do i even need to explain this?

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ^this

10. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    My dedicated audio is onboard HD Audio.

I'm watching Sunshine right now using PowerDVD11 inside of Windows Media Center. The bluray is set to DTSMA. My receiver says the signal is 3.2.01/48khz bitrate ---. Which it does when the bitrate is over 999. My ears confirm this is not 2.1 but definitely 5.1.

Maybe nvidia fixed their drivers for te 580 cards? Cause it's working.

11. ati666

ati666 Master Guru

GPU:
    hope so, if it is; then this calls for celebretation.

12. sfg3

sfg3 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 580 GTX SLI
    I use HDMI Audio output on my 580's to a receiver. It works fine, except that you can't enable just the audio if you don't intend to use the video signal.

You can't bitstream DTS/DD formats directly but your computer/player can use it like normal 5.1 speakers. It is still a digital signal and can have the same sfx applied by your receiver if that is your thing.

Example:
    DVD -> player -> player/decompress -> receiver/sfx -> amp...

Instead of (bitstream):
    DVD-> player -> receiver/decompress -> receiver/sfx -> amp...

Last I looked driver support for dedicated sound cards was a horrid pile of misery. And dedicated HDMI sound cards weren't working well at all either.

-sf

13. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    yes enjoy, things wont sound all console like anymore! I remember there was a thread about why pc games dont get lpcm sound... cleary they do and it sounds better than any other gaming system except of course those ps3 exclusives that match the quality.

14. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    what are you going on about? Worst case scenario you will have to install an inf for the monitor (drm). Or it will output lpcm, any bluray program can do it. My receiver can handle lpcm but none of the dts master or anything, so I like powerdvd convert to lpcm which is still quite awesome.

15. kevnb

kevnb Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    sure it can, but 99% of games output lpcm. Dolby digital live just converts in real time, like the cruddy consoles do.

16. eiren

eiren Active Member

GPU:
    GTX480 @ 890
    Spot on. LPCM is exactly the same output as DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD, it's just uncompressed in a different place.

It's like a zip file that you want to send someone.

You can either unzip it before you send it to them (LPCM) or you can send it over zipped up for them to extract/decode at their end (DTS MA/Dolby True HD) to be more efficient.

Both methods give you exactly the same file contents in the end, and the same is true here.

So LPCM is just as good as any other HD audio format, and you can get this with all NVIDIA HDMI cards.

17. pixelsmack

pixelsmack Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX-580sc (3gb)
    Thanks guys, this is a good thread. Helps to explain and reveal. Not too many people seem to care about this so good that it's here now. :)

18. Gonzo7

Gonzo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GTX480
    on my htpc i use the shark codec packs as you can set it to bitstream certain sources to the amp.

19. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Sounds very good, enjoy... However, the most awesome sound experience is not through any digital connection at all, like what we discuss, in the Audio section on Guru3d :) It's multi channel analog :) Just go to the audio section of Guru3d for more info, if anyone wants to know :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Oh god so my HT through coaxial/toslink is BS ?
    I regret buying it :/ now I want a regular 5.1 system :(