Did I just brick my card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by robert1990, Sep 3, 2011.

1. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Hi Gurus, need ur help with this problem. This just happened recently, everytime I turn on my PC, I got this weird grey line pattern:
    [​IMG]

Even if I just refreshing my screen or open a Windows Explorer, that thing will pop-up straightaway :( Tried to clean up the cards and the slot, no luck. I've even tried to reinstall the driver, it still happens. Anybody know what would have caused this? :( Thanks for ur help Gurus

UPDATE: When on desktop, if I didn't do anything (no refresh on the screen), everything is fine. Weird.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    You sure its a hardware issue? Do you have any sort of other graphics card you can try out? Thats what I always do first is test the hardware.

3. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately, I don't have any spare video card laying around. Seems like if I do something when the PC still loading the video driver (e.g. refreshing the screen or whatever), that thing will pop-up straightaway :(

4. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    GSOD (Grey Screen Of Death) typically driver related, happened a lot on the HD 5800 series.

Have you tried Catalyst 10.5? It resolved the GSOD issue for my 5870 when I owned it.

5. toms359

toms359 Member

GPU:
    N/A
    remove any overclock, complete uninstall any video driver/cap on your system, install latest drivers

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What he said ^

Don't quote me but I read it was caused by low voltage...I remember there were a few threads on this forum regarding GSOD and how to fix it..

May want to search the ATI section anyway. Is your card overclocked?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  7. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    Ah, I see. I'll have a look at GSOD thing. Never apply OC when on desktop/browsing, I only do mild OC (760 MHz core / 1100 MHz memory), when gaming with MSI AB.

8. Snappy

Snappy Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    If that's the same motherboard as the one in your system profile, you should have on-board video you could try out.

9. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    Tried to use the onboard HD4290, dunno why it refuses to work. It works only when I boot in Safe Mode, if I do normal boot, no display on my screen :(
    I was able to use it before.......

10. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Safe mode is most likely using the generic driver, normal boot using catalyst.

Uninstall the add-in card, and check your BIOS to ensure the first display is the built in GPU.

Uninstall video drivers, and re-install when ready to use the built in GPU.

PITA, but the only real sure-fire way to ensure you're using the correct GPU for testing.