Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Well as a precision X user I welcome the new features. At least it auto updates through steam now too. Sick of all the varying trials and upgrade messages popping up on AB. I've never bought MSI stuff anyway. I totally believe they made this at EVGA.

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Why would you say that? Your proof? No need to be a fan boi because that makes no sense at all.

Nowt stranger than folk ay.... :stewpid:

3. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    What's not to like they give me support no other company has ever. They diagnosed and fixed my 4k resolution problems that had nvidia and forums like this scratching their heads. Flawless company. If I sell on there's even a guest warranty so items hold value longer.

4. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    Really hope Unwinder himself can get this whole situation sorted. Despite all the unreasonable hate he would get from random morons and his understandable frustration with it, the man is a godsend to the overclocking community. Afterburner is pretty much the gold standard.

5. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    So as long as a company has good tech support it's ok for them to steal other people's work? Got it.

6. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Don't be sad Unwinder, that's how world works, but there is other side, they won't get a dime because of doing this, because we (consumers) know who is who, and won't buy EVGA products, and we'll know Precision X made by Unwinder and stolen by EVGA. Just spread the message through forums, OC forums especially, bad words tend to spread 5 times faster, than good.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    IF its true? then get this on reddit and let the net do their talking and walking. if its not or somewhere in between then act like grown ups and sort it out. Surley if EVGA gave the guy $100,000 for the software he would be more than happy? He could even work on improving it and porting it to Linux

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Iam just sick of all the little bitches talking crap saying that he is this and that.
    WTH how many times did the guy have to tell us of the known issues or the fixes for issues? but noooooooooo a-holes still had to go and push buttons thinking they were just to smart.......and the one a-hole on steam....was not he the guy who took rt and made a little voltage adding app with it for noobs? then when asked not to do it he got all pissy and did not care if people would blow there cards up(and send them back for rma)....well anyway you haters can go blow it out your ass.
    he dont take no crap and thats why i love the guy,he is not no little pussy bitch snap chatting fool.

Evga has been giving double talk for how many years now? stupid brain dead mf'ers.
    they were crap after peter tan left...evga the same people who gave you there p67 on up motherboards that were the worst on the market they covered them up to.

Some of you guys eat that crap up then say thanks???? wth in this matter just wake up already they are scum bag jelly little bitches.
    you want you pay msi wanted and paid him to bust his brain on the 64b osd where was evga?they thuoght you custumers were not worth it and thuoght you were crap maybe they were right???

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Ok I thought that EVGA did not have access to getting a 64bit version due to exclusive contract that MSI has. I wonder how they got it if they claim that they rewrote the code themselves without copying anything. Makes no sense to me.

10. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Just had a E-Mail from EVGA to download the Precision X 15. It was in the right folder JUNK folder :).

11. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    I really don't get where all this fuzz is about. EVGA and MANY other companies have been using the RivaTuner engine ever since their first software versions came out. Atleast that's what I make up from the actual settings panel. All the software exactly does the same, but with a different GUI (overlay).

Excuse me if I say something that is not correct (correct me if I'm wrong). I do think the original developer deserves more credit, should have been notified, asked for permission. But, isn't this a little overreacted?

AMD and NVIDIA customer

Bought from Sapphire, Club3D, XFX and EVGA

Never mind, this situation smells nasty. I have read up a little bit more that Unwinder himself posted and it almost isn't coincidence anymore.

This makes me think twice as an EVGA customer too. Let's just wait till things get a little more clear.

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    The issue is, it's theft.

Would be like you writing a program, me licensing it from you...then me ending our licensing deal an continue to use said program without paying you anything else? still think that's okay?

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    EVGA: "Cloning Evolved"

EVGA: "RivaTuner Inside"

;)

Glad at this point I never have owned an EVGA product, and never will.

I completely judge what they did and greatly respect Unwinders work since RivaTuner, keep it up!

Unfortunately, the additional features Unwinder supplied to EVGA are in a grayish zone legalwise IMO. EVGA didn't contract Unwinder to do them, as he said in his second statement.

This means these "bonus" features basically become EVGA's property along the actual, contracted job as Unwinder supplied them from free will.

If you're contracted to do a job A, do job A and nothing more.

Of course, you may try and "sell" some extra service by hinting your client that I may have some improvements / additions I could do.
    Even then, be very vague about them and wait for your client's response.
    If accepted, then name your price and terms and create a separate contract if the price and terms are accepted by your client.

I work for a company that does subcontracting almost exclusively so I know from experience: do what you're asked to do and ONLY that.

As a matter of fact, majority of our contracts basically state that "any additional work done by the contractor without consulting the client is of their responsibility and the client has no obligation to pay for it".

Still, plagiarism is plagiarism, no clause will change that.

14. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Guys, let’s stop beating dead horse and move further. I don’t live in US so no, I won’t be able to start any legal action. So the company can relax and safely continue their “in-house” development without any serious legal risk. Their moral obligations and risk of losing business reputation are the only things that can stop that, so I don’t believe that it will happen after seeing all the recent “public statements” from the company PRs. I won’t start a legal action even considering that “in-house” development is only a part of story. I don’t care that the company used original RT based PX 4 during whole 2014 without paying for it per contract. I simply don’t care, money is not the most important thing in my life. So if they feel shame because of it one day – they can donate all money they “saved” this way on charity, probably it will cure karma of person responsible for PX 15 project.
    Talking about original PX, I’ll declare once again that I won’t drop the project and it will live in some form (under different branding of course) even after ending project support and licensing from the company side. So those who loved original Precision 4 are actually true winners in this situation, because soon they’ll get much more they ever had in original Precision project. Stay tuned!

15. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I think whether people agree with Alexey's way of doing things or not is irrelevant, I for one don't see eye to eye with him on many things but that doesn't in any way whatsoever give a free pass to any person or company to take his work and call it their own.

I think it's easy to take for granted and forget that without Alexey's dedication the way we overclock and tweak our hardware would be way different and inferior to what we are used to, and have been used to for a great many years. In my opinion the amount of financial return that he's seen over these past years is way less than it should be considering what he has done for the enthusiast community as a whole, and people that are taking this opportunity to deride him should re-evaluate their opinions.

It appears to me that the only thing coming from evga in response is a load of marketing nonsense, pushing their argument that it's all 100% original programming when the evidence to the contrary is clear for all to see.

Quite frankly I'm surprised how restrained Alexey's been because I would be f***ing livid at the way he's effectively been used then tossed aside so flippantly. Those of us who have been around long enough know how much time and effort he's put into his software, and surely stand in his corner on this now.

EDIT- was typing while you were posting, I think what you're doing is way and above the call of duty, fair play

16. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    how greedy are EVGA? disgrace

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
  18. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Same as other huge companies, NVIDIA, AMD, INTEL. But at least they have some brains, and don't want to lose a lot of money.

19. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    @k3vst3r "The issue is, it's theft.

Would be like you writing a program, me licensing it from you...then me ending our licensing deal an continue to use said program without paying you anything else? still think that's okay?"

No that's not ok and that's what I ment. He deserves all the credit for what he made. There should have been better communication between the actual developer and the EVGA developers before they went to re-using the RivaTuner engine without his permission/support.

20. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB