Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I deleted Precession x months ago and never looked back, Evga over still dont offer support of monitor the cpu usage/temps either.

Only thing Evga has to over over AB is K-Boost and I dont use it. Now if Evga could fiqure way to enable K-Boost with out castrating powerstates I might move back. As I am not fan of dynamic Boost speed at all.

None of this is Unwinder fault He want to remove RTSS from precession x year ago do to idiots at evga's forums saying RTSS was corrupting peoples pc/drivers. then people yelling at him for about it. when RTSS was not the reason. RTSS is his software he provided FREE and people at EVGA forums where blame his software for breaking things when all it does is OSD and read. Those few people that started that still claim this he unwinder pretty much said screw and said he want to remove RTSS support as a result he now got his way cause those idiots.

Nor did Unwinder tell evga to clone HIS software. If any one is to blame EVGA and people they let on there forums blame his software for causing issue. He ask evga to put stop to it and they ignored it. and the people are still say the same crap.

If it was your software and some made something that looks identical and god forbid it has the same code. you would have fit too.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Bansaku

Bansaku Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Even when I had 2 EVGA GTX660 Ti's I used Afterburner. PrecisionX was, and always will be a joke. :p

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    How is this Unwinder's fault exactly? He did nothing wrong he was trying to fix a problem with the software he helped develop. Also it is his software code and NOT EVGA's. Finally Unwinder cannot get rid of the previous version of Precision X because there is nothing illegal about that version because he helped create it. It is about the new version X 15 that EVGA created themselves without Unwinder that he can create a C&D order for because of the stolen stuff from RivaTuner.

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Well, I flagged it @ Steam saying it's Unwinder's RivaTuner/Afterburner copycat as a reason. I doubt Steam staff will care, but maybe... maybe...

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    now u noticed that ? I noticed that since version 1.0

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Nice. Also there is an option to file a copyright infringement against EVGA which Unwinder should do.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

every precession upto 4x series use us work with the permission of unwinder. 15 does not. if he find up there use his code on top if it looking liking i have no pity for evga

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Can't say I'm surprised evga severed tie with Alex.
    To put it simple, great software but he is an ass otherwise. I tried to file a bug, reproduced across multiples machines and I was called out as retarded, didn't know wtf I was doing, etc.( funny how it got fixed a few beta builds later.). He does this to everyone who says there is a bug, saying "you're wrong my software is flawless", in a sense. Now obviously sometimes it's user error, but that's not always the case.

Anyways, I don't condone what evga did, but can't say he didn't deserve it.

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Well, new EVGA Precision X is released so I was finally able to peek inside it and quickly review the contents of “100% in-house” development.

Everything is even worse than I expected.
    • Original EVGA Precision EXE resources and dialog templates were copy-pasted to “in-house” project as is, even original dialog control IDs are the same. Company PRs already claim that GUI is 100% designed by EVGA which is sadly not true, company designed concept art of EVGA Precision skin only. All product properties, entire monitoring section, setting and so on came from directly original RivaTuner (and were available in other RivaTuner based products like HIS iTurbo years before Precision was born) and EVGA has no relation to designing them at all. So company directly violated our license agreement terms and reverse engineered licensed binaries to copy data from it and represent it as their own design.
    • EVGA completely cloned original RivaTuner’s RTMUI multilanguage context help system and localization engine. Contents of “Help” and “Localization” folders were copy-pasted to new product as is from original Precision, including localization and GUI translation databases for different languages. “Help” folder contains direct mapping of dialog IDs to help files, I guess getting easy access to it as direct reason of “copying” original dialog templates with original dialog IDs. So the company also violated our license agreement terms and redistributed parts of original product without permission.
    • Even “in-house” skin still uses my original raster fonts from old good RivaTuner. But at least that can be partially justified. Out intellectual property ownership terms of agreement define that I own software product copyrights, the company exclusively owns the product distribution rights as well as non-software intellectual properties like trademarks, product name, logos and artwork I create for them during the contract. So you may try to fit “copied” fonts in this category if you close eyes on the fact that it came from original RT.
    • Fun thing, even for the installer of “in-house” product the company copy-pasted my own license agreement from original installer, which contains my own third party components licensing terms and direct restriction on reverse engineering or redistributing them. Probably you’ll at least read what exactly do you copy paste, EVGA?
    • The most sad and painful thing for me is that the company entirely copy-pasted RivaTuner’s unique concepts of displaying data into On-Screen Display. RvaTuner Statistics Server was the first tool in the industry that introduced the concept of in-game hardware monitoring via OSD back in 2005, I spent almost than 10 years on polishing it. And most sad thing for me is that original Precision was not supposed to include such functionality, so it is not included in development budget and royalty fees. I added RTSS to Precision in one of the first versions completely free of any licensing fees just to help the company to promote new tool and it truly became one of the most important application features. So it was used during more than 5 years completely free (and the company was never brave to admit that) and in final they originally “thanked” for free OSD usage by stealing it. EVGA’s brand new “in-house” OSD is also open a simple rip of open source FW1FontWrapper overlay. And If I were the developer of FW1FontWrapper, I’d read the story of RTSS and think 1000 times about it.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    We're you actually called a retard or did it just seem that way? I don't know unwinder personally but I've interacted with people from Russia/Ukraine and even nordic countries and sometimes their english can come off as a bit blunt when they don't actually intend it that way.

Actually tends to happen in posts here every once in a while.

11. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    <hug />
    Thanks for your great work. I hope they will take it down, as it's disgusting.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man that sucks. You can go to the steam's store page and file a copyright claim against EVGA. Also you can create a C&D order as well.

13. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    @Evga, have you contacted Alexey about this already?
    Some rep is bound to be reading this by now ;)

14. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

And I think we have much better way to respond to it. I'll simply allow you guys to compare EVGA Precision X 15 vs EVGA Precision X 15 done right so EVGA users can choose the tool they prefer. New tool is waiting for release around the corner. It is fair competition time, JF ;)

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Shameful.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Ok I agree with your standards.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Wow, EVGA my gfx card favourite. In fact i'd go as far as saying i'm a EVGA fanboi.

This is totally unacceptable and way out of order.

Pay the man his due's or GTFO. Unwinder put a lot of time and effort into this software and even money from his own pocket.

EVGA has now gone to new lows, in fact so low it's lower than a snakes belly.

GG EVGA you just lost a fan and i'm sure many will follow.

18. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    Hey unwinder,

evga stealing your ideas and work sucks big time, but at the same time it's a huge compliment they openly admit they could not come up with anything better themselves.

they should either pay you or come up with something of their own, but since they already chose to use your concepts without asking -to put it mildly- i think they owe you!

I think the many people that have used rivatuner and spin-off's over the years agree this is a total ripoff and sympathize with you!

regards and best of luck in solving this,
    Darkje

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    There hw and customer services is only reason i buy from them, that and my 9800gt I rmaed had lifetime warranty, the replaced 450gtx the gave carries the orgingal warranty of the 9800gt too . this is it

Great customer service but that where it stops

20. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    @Unwinder, Sorry man especially for something of this magnitude and effort you've put into all this.. I hope it all gets sorted entirely and fixed in some way. The work you've done has been simply amazing, and thats just to say the least.

@******PR008 on Steam Evga, lol nice post haha.

Glad the thread gave more insight on all of this, although I really didn't expect it to, I expected EVGA to just ignore it all. I just hope this gets settled for the entirety and mainly for Unwinder.