Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    I know Alex said he wasn't seeking legal action, but out of principle and to protect software developers all over the world, he should. Perhaps some lawyer could contact him and have a look at Alex' and possibly pursue it pro bono publico.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    This guy had a hobby, he didn't have to give his hobby out to the world. Obviously his head got turned by money. He tried to make a few quid for himself by sharing that hobby.

Then he gets hit with false allegations claiming his software was damaging peoples computers, then he gets attacked for not putting new betas out on time and other stuff. All while the vendor he was in contact with never backed him up. They could of put a stop to all the non sense and he then wouldn't of being subjected to loads of abuse for nothing.

Still he continued to work on it and help people. To me he comes across as the typical crazy Russian guy and i don't mean that in a bad way either. In fact i feel sorry for the guy if you know the history of RT and the uncalled for abuse directed toward him for no reason.

Same stuff has happen to other software programs as well, soon as a big company get hold of it then it dies a slow painful death, sometimes intentionally i believe. It called cornering the market by all means necessary.

As has already been mentioned, it looks like nearly 300 people have lost their lives on the Russian/Ukrainian border in a terrorist type attack or a major failure of the 777. Kind of brings to reality these often petty arguments over copyrights and ones intellectual property. Reports saying there might have been UK,Netherlands and US passengers aboard as well :(

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    EVGA are digging themselves a nice big hole here.

4. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I switched over to Afterburner just now. I hope this will not end bad for all people involved with RivaTuner and EVGA's PrecisionX.

Btw, the news is very sad of what happened to that plane with all those people. It shocked me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

5. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    WTF 3dmark11 score with the new PrecisionX 20312 and score when disabled 20596??

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I dont remember specifics, just rubbed me the wrong way and got banned iirc.

7. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    For me, if I was to use the EVGA software, it would almost be equivalent to piracy. Stolen and rebranded as their own work. Blah! That's just poor form on EVGA's part.

I want to thank you Unwinder for your hard work and support over many years. And I hope that EVGA has enough sense to rectify this situation on their own accord. However, I still won't be buying anything from EVGA ever again. Not that I ever did in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've owned several MSI cards over the years. In fact, the HD7950 I use for F@H is an MSI card. I've even owned a few "MicroStar International" graphics cards and motherboards.

Whether Afterburner is bundled with your card or not, you're not paying for it. MSI provides it 100% free. You can even go to their website and download it from them directly, for free.

And, if you can't pull your head out of your ass long enough to figure out that there are more important things in this world than a piece of software....don't bother responding to any other post I make. In fact, don't bother either way. I'm done dealing with disrespectful, clueless little kids.

9. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I would think some where the price they paid for AB is figured into the bottom line, even if it only shows up in a few sales made because it was offered for free it still has some kind of value.

Sure there are more important thing then a piece of software, but when you click on a thread about it, and respond to it in any way positive or negative you just showed that it had some kind of importance to you.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Neither do I if they used all their own code for the software but they didn't.He can be abrasive sure he can but he's not obligated to respond well to morons that demand things or can't be bothered to read a help file or **** things up themselves and say it's his software with no basis in truth.He's not a PR guy he's the actual developer and you usually don't get to talk to directly to those guys.Personally his reaction to people in my opinion was most of the time better than mine would have been under the circumstances.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Fixed then, although I don't think southamptonfc was attacking anyone or anything here, so sykozis, best not to take things too seriously right now (even if you and I remember the moral catastrophes that were happening when Beta 18 was close to expiry).

12. deathnite

deathnite Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
    Long time reader of Guru3D, but never got to register until now.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on these overclocking utilities regardless of what is happening between EVGA, MSI and the original programmer.

I have used RivaTuner back in the day, then moved to EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner, but contrary to what some might think about the design and even though I have an MSI card, I always preferred the look of precision's main GUI/skin over afterburner, although I mostly use these utilities to display in-game monitoring information.

At some point these utilities started requiring Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 on Windows 7 and stuck to using an older version of precision, 4.0.0 which I believe was the last one which didn't require the redist package.
    Now with the new PrecisionX 15, the redist package is not a requirement anymore and the utility runs without it. I was finally able to upgrade and use a newer version.
    Unfortunately, Afterburner still requires the redist package. So unless it ditches this requirement I won't be able to use it.

I try to keep my system as clean as possible and install only what is really required, in order for it to start-up and run as smooth as possible without any software clogging it up over time.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ... MS Visual C++ redist shows as 600KB on my rig. I'm not sure what you're complaining about. If you're having trouble with 600KB, you might want to stop using floppy drives.

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Nobody is complaining about if evga should or not make a independent program, but you really have to be blind, if you don't see a copy paste resemblance of rivatuner or AB.

In the other hand, if he is, was, rude, or not. Doesn't title ANYONE to copy anybodies work, time.

Your comment is like, ohh yeah hes a *** lets justify that with a copyright infringement, everyone hates him so yeah.

ARE YOU SERIOUS???!?!?!??!

15. Boulard83

Boulard83 Member Guru

GPU:
    16gb Crucial ballistix
    This guy is try to sort out some of the lies.

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2192530

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You're disillusion, paranoid or both if you think installing any version of VC++ will slow down any system of any spec in any way what-so-ever. Every fresh install I do I normally install the x86 and x64 versions of every year of VC++ and .NET.

If it's true that newer versions of Afterburner are supposed to allow for a universal skinning ability (allowing for prec-like skins) then you might want to rethink your sillyness.

17. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    Well 10 pages of this thread seem to suggest that people do think this piece of software is fairly important.

I was simply pointing out the obvious problem with your (clueless?) statement about people just using the previous version when the beta expired.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I remember quite well what was going on....and southamptonfc acted as if AB was more important than any world event.

19. Goldie

Goldie Banned

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    I've been testing precision 15 all day and night and gotta say, be it devils advocate if you like, but it's real impressive, shame Unwinder won't see any return for all the hard work.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Bout time you grew a pair Sky

Sure tell me that anything comes "free"