DICE Claims That 15+ Titles Will Support Mantle

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Maybe but that doesn´t change the fact that it´s only supported by AMD hardware, at least for now, and that´s bad. And that G sync and physx it´s just for Nvidia and so on...

2. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire

yes - i like you!

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I could simply not agree more with you on this.

Shame though Nvidia wants to sell more GPU's so does AMD and to entice people over to their camp they have to put their name on game boxes to show this game is optimized for their hardware, etc.

Nvidia have been the main culprits of this in the past with PhysX, CUDA, and now G-SYNC, TXAA, etc.

AMD are just following suite and trying to sell more cards, which ultimately by the looks of it will divide PC gaming into two camps, those with AMD who can play Y games and those with Nvidia who can play X games. Both can play each others games but there will be problems.

Its going consolized, like on consoles you can only play Uncharted on a Sony machine and you can only play Halo on a Microsoft machine.

Ultimately this will be very bad for the industry.

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    PhysX has so much potential, I wish AMD would just step up to the plate and pay for usage rights. Unlike a lot of people, I don't think nV should give it away. They spent a lot of money when they bought 3dfx, Aegia, and all the work they've done on it over the years.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    you'll not convince anyone of the fun that can be had with PhysX, not on this forum.
    it's my no.1 effect personally.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The issue with Physx though is that you do have Directcompute and OpenCL. True, they aren't as developed as Physx, but they're already supported by both AMD and Nvidia. Physx on the other hand would require AMD to completely change the GPU design, probably very much moreso than Nvidia would have to do to support Mantle. Also, Mantle will be free for Nvidia to adopt, whereas AMD would have to pay a lot for Physx. You might just say pay and be done with it, but no doubt Nvidia will be wanting way more than is reasonable (considering OpenCL/Directcompute etc).

I'd much rather see OpenCL implementations take off, not a restricted platform implementation in terms of Physx. In terms of Mantle, well supposedly that does give a massive boost to framerates which would be more advantageous than Physx clothing or partial environmental effects.