Diamond Stealth 3d / S3 Virge drivers for WinXP

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by Bill Yiannakos, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Hi to all:)

I am new to this forum and I'm searching for drivers for Windows XP for my old Diamond Stealth 3D videocard (NOT Stealth II). I know that this card uses a S3 Virge chipset, so I think that a driver for this chipset would be suitable too. I've searched the database of Guru3d, but I wasn't able to find anything. Windows XP don't have any default drivers (they actually recognized my Diamind stealth 3d as SCSI controller!!!). I also have a Matrox Mystique and a GeForce 2 MX400 that work fine.
    I installed some s3 Virge drivers that come with XinXP, but I was received an error message saying "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

Thanks in advance :)

2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Ela re patrida! (Just told "Hi" ;))
    We can't speek in Greek cause this is a multynational page.
    K here it goes. Its really hard or even imposible to find an XP driver for Stealth.
    I read after a search that a guy used a Savage4 driver and it worked as a "legacy" driver.

U can try here and lets hope u get lucky :D

3. The first reply to my first message, and this from a Greek?? WOW!:D :D :D
    In the site you specifie I only find drivers for Win 95/98/NT. Do you think they will work on XP?
    I'm asking so because they need to be a member in order to download them, and I hate registrations:mad: :mad:

However, thanks for the immediate reply:cool:

4. I forgot to say earlier that I have tried many additional drivers (se virge dx/gx, s3 savage4, some other s3) and all times, after the driver installation I received the same error message "The device could not start". Does this mean that my card is possibly damaged?

As you can imagine, this is not my primary card, but I just wanted to use multiple monitors (I already got one on my geforce and one on my mystique.I also have a third monitor, and it's a pitty not to have a third video card!!:p :p )

5. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Hmm. 3rd card u say.
    I am not really sure but i think that windows support up to 2 VGA cards.(Parhelia is another thing cause it may support up to 3 monitors but its a card's property)
    But i am not really sure. (Perhaps that is why it cannot start it.)
    Try removing one of the other cards and install the Diamond with a standard VGA card driver to see if windows will be able to use it.

6. Aropredator

Aropredator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 1024Mb
    I've already check with Windows Hardware Compatibility List (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/search.asp) and found that S3 Virge based cards doesn't compatible with WinXP. The highest OS were only WinME and Win2K. So I guess youre out of luck.

You gotta blame Ms for this :p cause even newer than s3 virge cards (e.g. verite2200, banshee based cards) wasnt supported officially by WinXP. Maybe Ms drop the card from XP compatibility list cause the 4mb limit on virge cards cant do all the extra stuff in XP interface.

7. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Isn't it supposed that Win2k drivers are compatible with WinXP?
    (Or so M$ told at first. :D)

8. Tekorei

Tekorei New Member

9. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    Unlikely, I've run XP on a 2mb Cirrus Logic. :)

10. chrismeyer

chrismeyer Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT 512meg
    wow talk about digging up an old thread this ones 4 years old guys

11. AndrewTiger

AndrewTiger New Member

I have a s3 video card like you,and have same problem.and I Fixed it.
    you just enter BIOS setup,and set the PCI slot Video card first when computer power on.
    when you enter Winxp system login screen,the AGP video Card and S3 PCI video card will be work together.
    If you have any problem,you can contact me with MSN:hude5@msn.com
    good luck~~