Diamond MX300 mods

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by NapalmV5, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Breaking the rules :D

2. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  3. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

im just having a lot of fun with this mx300

2x 2200uf bg nx/26x 47uf bg nx all paralleled
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so what do the paralleled caps do?

the 10year old mx300 beats the crap outta any modern sound card without a sweat

dont have to believe me :)

tally: 100$ mx300 + 120$ caps + 10$ opa4132 = 230$ total tax/s&h not included

next mod for mx300: adapt 2 x AD8620 opamps

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. masterat0r

masterat0r New Member

GPU:
    V
    thank Guru i managed to subscribe
    i started to search infos on this gizmo, 3 years ago when i finally got it after a lot of time digging the online markets. i got in contact to its sound in 2000 at a friend of mine who had the standard aureal vortex2 card. the 4 speakers, 2xUnitra & 2xTechnics, and that astonishing hardware equalizer won me in a instance.since then, i kept on asking anyone who might have this ancient but precious piece of technology.and then i got it.since then, there is no day not to be overwhelmed by its sound and believe me when i tell you i wouldn't change it not even for a 1000 bucks (a newer card i care even less). i think i might mod it just like yours with the help of an electronist friend cause music audition deserves it. if there's more juice in it, then i want to squeeze till the last drop:grin:
    I simply love my Diamond Monster MX300:kind:
    hope i didn't sound too fanatic :bounce:

5. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce™ 8800 GTS Fat
    Heh bru, I still own a Aureal Vortex 2 Superquad Digital with the black pcb. This thing unmodded still sounds amazing and not far from my Prelude for music.

I very much want some opensource drivers windows which only support the normal hardware mixing and equalizer equivalent to the linux support.

6. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

theres a lot of juice hidden by the stock components.. when i did the paralleled caps mod i couldnt pick up my jaw.. i couldnt get enough of the awesome sound..

some notes:

C89: 470uf cap: 12V
    C8: 10uf cap: +12V
    C9: 10uf cap: -12V
    the rest of the caps are 5V and lower

paralleled caps:
    - +
    + -

you can adapt high-end opamps like ad8620/797 opa627 youre not bound to 14soic opamps ;)

too fanatic? dont worry.. after 10 years its still the best sound card ive come across

you know.. now that daniel_k is not doing creative drivers anymore.. he should do aureal drivers.. how about aureal drivers for vista.. improved xp drivers.. etc..

someone contact him! :)

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    He never coded anything for real, just combined different files and maybe hacked one or two. Creating drivers requires far more than just that...

8. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately for me I only studied pure computer science and not actually computer engineering so I still find the talking to the hardware part a bit...well....interesting.

It looks like changing settings on the card is as easy as reading certain address on the card to see what it is and change it to something else in hex numbers. Now the next part where you actually need to stream data into the card confuse me still and well I will see if I can figure something out but I am working from nothing into building some fun experience. The only guide I do have is looking at the ALSA drivers which is even more greek as there is nothing in them that relate to how drivers are written for windows.

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea, so he wouldnt beable to do any thing with Aureal drivers. So he will just inup having alot of work to do. If he wanted to make them workin vista etc.

10. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

anyone know whos got/holds the source code?

there a copy flying around?

11. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    Only Creative has the only copy of the original source code for aureal vortex drivers so good luck getting your hands on that...

12. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

well i just got my 2nd mx300 back from a cousin.. more mx300 modding yay!

this rev.A carries the ti TL074 opamp from the rev.2 jrc opamp
    [​IMG]
    same 470uf16v nichicon/10uf16v caps

+ 30 nonpolar bg caps await the arrival of 4 x opa627 opamp

13. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

rev.2 - soic14 to pin14 socket mod + opa4227 dip14 opamp

now ill be able to easily use ad8620/ad8066
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 x 1000uf 25v bg nx
    4 x 100uf 16v bg n
    22 x 47uf 6.3v bg nx

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Your becoming a modding monster, I try to pick my battles when it comes to modding becasue as you have seen it becomes a bit of a obsession.

15. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

lol modding monster.. thanks :)

come rob when are we gonna see some mods from u ? :D

yeh the above rev.2 got 2 more 1000uf 25v bg nx for a quad 1000uf vs 1x 470uf stock

first time i did a quad parallel cap:
    front:
    x o
    o x
    back:
    o x
    x o

the frequency increased exponentially - love it!

about the xm.. if the xm would have through-hole caps i would take it to 150 bg caps.. lol including a quad condenser cap

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am considering DC coupling my X-Meridian 7.1 and possibly modding out the Prelude 7.1 as well as a few other mods that I don't really tell others about partly becasue they are harder for the novice and partly because I keep quite a few tricks for my own use.:)

17. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Man i had one of these, does it still sound good??? does it even support 5.1???

18. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

^ if it wouldnt sound good i wouldnt spend hundreds of $ @ caps/opamps for it :)

yeh MX300 + MX25 daughter = 5.1 digital

update: Quad parallel cap + 2x AD8620 opamp
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. GAR818

GAR818 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    But if you spent $100's why not go for newer sound cards, something like the ASUS D2X or a X-FI and mod it.

20. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

i did try the new ones.. check this thread here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=255682 ive posted a bunch of pics of xmeridian prelude claro+ but these sound cards limit me @ how far i can takem so i just gave up.. the only sound cards i got left is the mx300 and prodigy hifi