Dialup User and ATI drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by funkymonkey, Jan 20, 2004.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    Hello.
    I know this isent the perfectly fair request but here goes.
    In past many months i have seen NVIDIA drivers been recompressed and 7 zipped to make them smaller and posted on guru3d download section. This has helped man dialup users like me ( dialup at home :( )
    Why dont you guys do it for ATI drivers as well. The whopping 25 MB is pain to download. Why not decompress drivers and then recompress using 7zip or another good compression utility and then have them uploaded to your file servers. This will save ya a lot of bandwidth too.
    people can always download unzipped drivers. there are 100s of mirros for them.
    Kindly look this as an option to help users and also reduce load on your fileserver.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We've looked into that a while ago, yet ATI's files are compressed quite good. Where possible each file within the already compressed archive is re-compressed. So after unzipping we need to run an extraction script over all the internally compressed files and then recompress the entire archive with a better compressor.

It's quite a time consuming task to do; with 7zip you will not notice a huge difference and it'll only save a few MB's.

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    um..okay.
    I got file size down to 19MB with 7zip SFX archive. still 7 MB difference is preety big for dialup user :).
    Anyway no problems. Looks like i should complain to ATI itself :)

4. David

David Guest

heh good luck.

5. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i know but 25 MB drivers still dosent make sence to me.
    I am preety sure they can reduce the file size .

6. David

David Guest

hey funky i dont have that 7zip program but try doing the following: unzip the .exe file with winrar or whatever and take out the wdm folder (since most of us dont have a all in wonder card) and then zip it up with 7zip and see what the file size is. I know the wdm folder is like 4mb so that could shave a few megabytes off.

7. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    18MB....

8. Phoenix_Inferno

Phoenix_Inferno Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
    use UHARC (go search for it on google). It cut my 850MB cd image down to 530 mb.....