Diablo 3 stuttering - GTX680 SLi

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Altra001, May 15, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It's not just an "occasional stutter" though for me; I get split second freezes during combat and framerate dips to 3-5 fps within the first few minutes of play which render the game almost unplayable. Even when that eases off and performane stablilises I still see lots of rubber-banding, usually my character appears to "jerk" backward when running forward, even outside of combat (so it's not a knockback for example). For me, the game's performance is ruined by unacceptable levels of server lag that make it feel like I'm playing it on a massively underspecced system, which it obviously isn't.

I could complain to Blizzard about it again but they've already pretty much ignored one support ticket which mentioned the poor performance so I doubt that they'll ever fix it. They won't care anyway as they already have the money from over 6 million sales.

2. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hope they come out with a few more optimisations, the game sure as hell needs some :p

4. OutGears

OutGears Member

GPU:
    HD 6970
    Hello,

I have a bug In Diablo III with my GTX 690.

Sometime after a load the game passes from 60 FPS to 15-20 FPS.
    If I Alt-Tab the game returns to 60 FPS but But if I cross a zone of load once again, the game crash as well as the Nvidia driver.

Have you an idea ?

Thank

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Got stuttering aswell, but i doubt it has anything to do with the game or drivers.

I think it's the server lag causing it. Sometimes it feels like playing at 50FPS while the FPS counter shows a steady 60 (V-Synced)

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The game gets noticeably stuttery for me when the latency increases from the normal 65-80 ms to 125-250 ms. Sometimes when I resume a save game I get appalling framerates for a few minutes though I don't know what latency that is; probably 1,000+ ms!!!

Just finished the game FINALLY on Normal, thinking that would cure my Diablo III addiction, but now I'm finding pages so it hasn't worked! Damn! I'm hooked all over again! :(

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Trying to kill Diablo on Hell atm..but keep getting killed by myself in phase 2 :p

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  8. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    diablo 3 has noticable "swap" issues in the beginning of the game, mostly after cold start (horrible swaps) after that it runs pretty decent (if we forget the problems with vsync) fwy inferno act 3 = alot of repairs :)

9. RedruM-X

RedruM-X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
    If you copy paste the game folder on an USB memory stick all those "swapping" problems which are actually asset loading and prefetch/buffer problems with the game disappear. There's tons of threads about it on the forums of Diablo and this is a proven solution. The real fix will be released in a future update is what Blizzard says as they have confirmed the problem. Let's just hope they also really find the solution. ANd btw, they do not happen only after a cold start but give non stop problems throughout the game.

10. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    Using afterburner's frame limiter rather than in game also works wonders

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Farming inferno atm. and didn't run into any performance issues.
    Probably one of the best running online games with exception of previous server downtimes.

12. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 Ti
    I tried alot of fixes and found a few that may help,

Open the games config file, "C:\Users\*your user name*\Documents\Diablo III"d3prefs.txt"

Set HardwareClass "1" this is usually higher, and it controls the quality of spells and shadows, not really a big difference in graphics, but it helps in big battles.

Set DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" controls the detail level for texture filtering, you might see textures become a little blurry in the distance.

Then goto nvcpl,

Set the pre-render frame limit to 4

Use D3Doverider, and enable ONLY triple buffering.

Use a tool like Im Disk virtual disk driver, and load the game into your RAM, and make RAMDISK, this makes loading stutter become even smaller then on a SDD or USB flash drive!

There are other tweaks, that might help even more, but could also hurt your system, so try them at your own risk.

I tweaked my windows prefetch, completly disabled it, turned off the pagefile.

And last, use http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/ this tools lets me decrease my windows timer resolution, to 0.5ms, with the free version.

And to make this cocktail complete, I left HPET enabled in my bios and used a command in windows, you can do this through CMD.exe.
    And type in cmd "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true"
    This makes windows use HPET instead of older timers.

Also Hyperthreading is left turned on.

And using 300.83, because of issues with the 680GTX with other dirvers.

The result is that the game doesn't stutter as bad as before, still had some stutters, but they are almost so small that you can't see them, and aren't as anoying as before.
    Blizzard said they will add performance improvements in patch 1.03

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I was playing Diablo III for about three hours or so yesterday after and had to endure the more horrendous stuttering throughout the entire session. Turned out it was caused by the latency being around 250ms for the almost the whole time. It was so bad that the game was actually freezing up momentarily every 5 seconds and when enemies were about to appear onscreen.

So I quit the game due to it being pretty much unplayable and returned to it later. It was much better as the latency was back to its 'normal' 60-80ms. Seems that as long as the server latency is 100ms or less (ideally sub-80ms) then the game runs relatively smoothly for me (GTX 600 series v-sync stutter bug aside) but at 150+ms it becomes more and more unplayable.

14. Ash

Ash Active Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI
    Try running the game using a single-GPU setup, instead of the GTX690 built-in SLI.

15. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    I think some people are misunderstanding some of the stuttering that some people are getting honestly. Its not a normal FPS stuttering or really anything like that. Its sorta difficult to even explain or record. Its almost like a sync issue that tears in sections and it can get pretty bad. Mind you there's also people that don't have ACTUAL FPS drops and such either.

I had the same issues and it was giving me migraines everyday.. Spent a few days trying every possible tweek.. Finally did something that fixed it but I have no clue what.. I am on 301.42 currently, and none of the typical answers for this problem did anything for it. They either made it worse or only slightly better. When I tried to actually record it I only got slight bits of it at times and honestly having it recording made it split/stutter less it seemed..

Anyhow just wanted to give my 2 bits cause I think alot of people are just kinda generalizing everyone with a stutter type issue into the same boat.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I'd describe the Diablo III issue as 'jittering'. It's like the game is skipping between two one-pixel offset images every few seconds and looks as if it is tearing (even though v-sync is enabled), especially noticeable on the subtitles/speech balloons. It gives the game the appearance that it is running on really dated hardware. I don't think I've ever had a silky-smooth game in the 125 hours I've been playing it yet the framerate sits at 60 fps for 99.999% of the time. I'm not sure whether it's because not everyone notices it or whether it's an issue with NVIDIA graphics cards because I've seen AMD card owners claim that the game runs smoothly for them.

Since the weekend though, my game has started to run worst even though the latency is back from 150+ms to the normal 60-80ms. I get momentarily hitching/freezing every time a group of enemies are about to appear (so I always know when I'm about to be attacked) and very severe lag for the first few minutes of play. IMO, this game is an absolute mess performance wise, all the more shocking when you consider how basic the visuals are (my GPUs are running this game in their sleep and neither card exceeds temps of 48 C while I'm playing despite running at 60 fps).