Devil May Cry 4 Demo Thoughts...?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by willvx, Jan 24, 2008.

1. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I just finished playing through the 360 and PS3 versions of the DMC 4 demo several times. Graphically, they are almost virtually identical and run at 60fps without a hitch, but I have to give a slight nod to the PS3 version.

Really, it's so close as to call it a tie, but there are a few areas where the 360 falters graphically IMO. Everything seems to have a slight blur/haze on the 360. While it's not graphically pleasing, it does give a smoother appearance than the PS3 with less jaggies. However, the overall quality of the environments and textures is greater on the PS3. While the 360 does indeed have higher resolution textures, it suffers greatly from AF (anisotropic filtering) issues as seen in shimmering textures; a problem that the PS3 version is mostly devoid of. The "shimmering" issue really does detract from the overall final image and really knocks points off the 360's graphic score IMO. Finally, the lighting just looks a tad better on the PS3. The HDR lighting on the PS3 just has a more effervescent, ethereal feel that really brings the environments to life, whereas the 360's lighting is a little more harsh. Like I said, close call, but I have to give the PS3 the upper-hand.

Control is another issue where the 360 seems to come up short again. The PS3 controller seems better suited to playing DMC 4, most likely since the gameplay is so similar to DMC 2 and 3; this makes sense since both of which were born and bred on the PS2. Also, the controls overall feel a bit more responsive, as if they are just fine-tuned a notch higher on the PS3. But again, as with the graphics, the difference is so small as to be inconsequential...almost.

The gameplay, as mentioned before, is straight from DMC 2,3. There aren't many innovations here, but perhaps the full game has more in store than what's seen in the demo? If you're a fan of the DMC series, this is more of the same for sure, and you'll certainly enjoy the demo, if not the entire game upon release.

I always thought the 360 would win out graphically in any cross-platform titles, but this demo has proved me wrong on that one. I also thought Burnout Paradise looked a bit better on the PS3 as well, again with similar issues as noted above. Perhaps the 360 is showing it's age, and/or the devs. are really learning to flex the PS3s muscles. This all has me very curious how GTA IV is going to fare.

In my opinion, if you have both systems and are deciding which version to get, I'd go with the PS3 personally. Regardless, it's probably best to try out both demos for yourself to see which you prefer. In fact, I'm curious to hear peoples' thoughts.

Overall, playing the demo certainly has me salivating, seeing as I'm a huge DMC fan, and Feb. 5 seems so far away now...I'm definitely counting the days.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I downloaded the PS3 demo, and it was alright. I can't say weather or not I'll buy this one, but leaning towards yes.

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    DMC is one of my favourite games series of all timke, done the first 3 numerous times on different difficulty's, cant wait to play this, need to try the demo really.

4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Looks awesome on PS3 and seems to run at 60 fps. 60 fps = winner.

5. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Yeah, what did you think of the demo Wanny? Have you managed to run through the entire level at 10:00? Yikes, that's hard...I hope the entire game isn't that hard. :O However, difficulty is what DMC is known for. Not that the game itself is hard, just the time limit.

Also, yeah...I think this year we'll finally start seeing cross platform titles where the PS3 is on par with the 360. Everyone knows it's possible, just a matter of the developer's putting the time in, and now they know the system much better as well so it should be a no brainer. MS had their 1yr. head-start and now it's the PS3s turn to finally catch up I hope.

I really think too that this is going to be the year of the PS3. Every developer seems to feel that the jump in graphics/gameplay (especially graphics) is going to be much bigger than what we saw on the PS2. Sounds good to me...the PS2 took a huge jump by the 3rd/4th generation titles.

On a side note, I picked up my Dual Shock 3 for ~$75USD. A little expensive I know, but I couldn't wait. It really rocks in Warhawk.

Also, I know it's a hot debate, but I really hope Ninja Gaiden II comes to the PS3 is some form. Everyone says it won't because Microsoft is the publisher, but didn't they publich Ninja Gaiden I as well? I don't know...

6. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    all i can say is wow, DMC 4 is nice and since its only a demo it has missing moves but damm the graphic are very nice and it has AA too with AF. i play the xbox 360 and it only has rumble in the xbox 360 and it look almost the same as ps3 but ps3 has AF which look better then the xbox 360 and play better on ps3 then xbox 360 due of the gamepad. DMC was always on PS2 and PS3 the control is still there. cant wait for pc verison to come out because there no action like DMC 4 for pc and DMC 3 was so mess up in the control that make the game unplayable.

7. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Yeah, no doubt the PC version will likely look the best. IMHO, while the PS3 and 360 versions look gorgeous they do show their limitations as opposed to what's possible on upper middle-tier PCs. Those with 8800s and C2Ds or better can likely look forward to good framerates with high resolutions.

Speaking of which, I'm really glad I played COD 4 on the PC...*drool* FLIR level *drool*...as it looked great at 1920x1080 on my large screen LCD TV and played perfectly with my 360 PC controller. Certainly much better than the console experience. I'm sure DMC will fare just as well since it's being developed on the PC platform first and then exported to 360/PS3.

8. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    i test out my HDMI to DVI cable and all i got to say is O_O. Gears of War never look so good and its my first time i see Gears of War in HD and by HD i mean 4,000 : 1 Ratio Brightness 1920x1080i vs 700 : 1 Ratio Bright LCD PC 1650x1050 but 1650x1050 look almost the same as 1920x1080i but in my view of lcd it look way better in Samsung 26in.

9. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Quite impressed, had a brief go on both 360 and PS3 versions of the game and couldn't notice any real differences graphically, although I much prefer the PS3 pad. Looks like a buy for me, the game has style. :)

10. most leftist 69

most leftist 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    evga nv 8800 gt 700/1750/1680
    To OP: x360 games always have tons of texture aliasing.
    the ps3 version will also have superior UNCOMPRESSED audio.
    and no loading.

also, i don't expect the pc version to look as good as the ps3 version, b/c it will be based on the x360 version (since microsoft is integrating x360 and pc game development, and the ps3 version uses opengl which is superior to dx in every way) and it will also possibly lack ability for cp aa.

not capcom's fault, just microsoft's fault.

I wish hd-dvd would concede to bd-rom so pc games can have lpcm and uncompressed cut-scenes. MP3 format sucks. We usually got better audio in sega cd and turbo cd games from ~15-17 years ago. i can't wait till the day everything is done in lpcm, i've missed uncompressed audio for a long time now. (I guess games mostly started using mp3 starting with the previous generation?)

11. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Actually, the producer said they are creating both versions on a PC first. I have no idea under what type of software development platform. Then they are exporting the code to the 360 and PS3.

I agree that OpenGL is superior, but if games like COD 4, which was also developed on the PC first, looks so much better on middle to high-end PC, why couldn't DMC 4 look better as well?

I guess it just depends, again, on how much work the developers put into it. If they wanted to, they could create a version quite easily that looks better than the console versions; higher res. textures, more polys, etc. They could even run in OpenGl if they wanted to. I believe COD 4 runs in OpenGl, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyways, just my opinion. Regardless, I'll be playing DMC 4 on my PS3...just feels more at home there for me. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I thought it was good. I never really played a game like this so I was kinda noob but I enjoyed it overall. What really impressed me in the demo: the graphics, 60 FPS, fast loadings, Dolby digital sound great. The game also has this little Resident evil 4 feeling in it, and man, I love this game.

Capcom is a great dev. I really enjoyed RE4 and Zack&Wiki on Wii. I'll probably buy DM4 soon or later. I will maybe buy Lost Planet if the PS3 port is decent.

Gogo Capcom, full support from me!

13. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    DMC4 will likely look only marginally better on the PC (perhaps slightly better quality textures, but almost certainly no more detail in the models etc), if at all and I'm not sure how it will run, mainly due to political and time constraints, however right or wrong that is, and it almost certainly won't be extremely optimised. You will need hardware well in excess of what the PS3/360 use on paper to run it as well as the consoles. Capcom know where the money is and they will not want to alienate the console crowd.

14. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I think you're right on the money about DMC 4 on the PC. It's almost certainly just going to be a slightly prettier version (i.e. better textures) than what you see on the consoles. I am very curious to see it action though on the PC.

As far as system requirements, I'm sure you're right about needing something powerful. A 8800 xxx and a C2D running under XP should get people on the right track I'd assume, but you never know. Look at Capcom's past port with Resident Evil 4...before the patch there wasn't any lighting or the lighting was almost non-existent. Can you imagine...RE4 without proper lighting?!?

There are some upsides to running on a high-end PC however as you can crank up the AA, AF, GAA, etc.

15. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    What a game, feels more like the orgional DMC than 2 & 3, amazing graphics and gameplay, cannot wait for this to come out, anyone confirm that there is a boss battle in the demo, as i didnt see anything because i only got 10 minutes to play the demo.

EDIT: Found the boss battle now, what a game lol imensly impressed with the graphics.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008

16. PHJF

PHJF Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Played the demo on a friend's 360, waiting patiently with my Rumblepad 2 for the PC release.