Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I never said it didn't on mine; just that overall performance in terms of framerate feels the same or worst than DX11 plus I cannot use VXAO under DX12. In other words, there is no reason really for me to use DX12 for Rise of the Tomb Raider as it does not offer noticeably better framerates and loses one of the graphical settings. It's not like DX12 has anything else to offer such as better image quality or higher quality settings either.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am not surprised at all as that falls in line with other DX11 games which have been "upgraded" to add support for DX12.

I know people will say that DX12 is still in its infancy, the drivers are not optimized and this is not the final build, etc, etc, but, whatever, it does not change the fact that, so far, for me DX12 has been extremely underwhelming. At least DX10 and DX11 brought along with them new graphical technologies to play around with even in their early days. DX12 offers nothing IMO except the promise of better performance but does not even manage that.

Seems that DX12 is great for AMD, due to their inefficient DX11 driver that has a higher CPU overhead than NVIDIA's, and people with low-end CPUs but is not really doing much for anyone else, i.e. those of us with NVIDIA cards and decent CPUs. That is disappointing really. Maybe I shouldn't expect so much but can you blame me when we had all the hype about how we would seem big performance increases?

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nah, we're well past that imo. DX12 is the new dx10. Actually, its worse, DX10 didnt drop performance on one or both gpu vendors.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Shader Model 6.0 was actually demonstrated earlier this year in one of those conferences so eventually once that is finalized we might see some more graphical prowess from DirectX 12.1 or what that will be called. :)
    (MS said something about expecting to have it finalized near the end of this year so from that to implementation in newer GPU models and also the display drivers and of course a update to Windows 10 too I assume anyways it'll be a while before it starts being featured in games and other software.)

EDIT:
    http://techreport.com/news/29900/microsoft-previews-changes-arriving-with-shader-model-6-0

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I wrote it in the driver thread and I'll repeat it here - Nvidia needs to fix the performance losses in DX12. I understand that in most cases they won't gain much, but I don't want to lose 10% of my performance because reasons. Even if it's the developers fault -- they should be working with the devs to fix that stuff. I get that in this game I can use DX11 and there is no image quality penalty - but that might not always be the case going forward.

SM6 will most likely end up in DX11_3/4 too though. Remember that Microsoft plans on maintaining DX11 going forward too, 12 isn't completely replacing it.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Wait, SM 6.0 by only driver update? Is it that simple or we'll need new SM 6.0 compatible hardware?

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The big push MS made for DX12 was not in new "visual technology"... but in performance.
    The marketing always focused on how much faster and less resource intensive it was.

You shouldn't go into DX12 looking for visual changes. That's like going into DOOM Vulkan expecting new effects when the difference is performance.

As for me, I can't select DX12. It's greyed out even after the update. Yay. :p
    Wasn't that interested to begin with.
    But, tried the in game Benchmark for the first time... and that thing is a joke.
    Ran an external benchmark through another program, and got completely different results each time.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Restarting STEAM fixed it. I can now try DX12. :)

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not? It's like 10fps more at QHD which is 20% and 10fps at 4K which is like 40%.

13. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    DX12 is worse than DX11 performance-wise on my PC (3770k@4.4, 16GB, amd fury 3840 1100/550 ). I tested in-game, not benchmark. I tried loading different saves\scenes and DX11 performed better in all of them using the same settings.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It's Nixxes after all (RoTTR DX12 fiasco). Ironically, dawn engine is heavily based on glacier 2 engine.. the one used in Hitman and Hitman had a great fps boost in dx12 on AMD....

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look specifically at 1920x1080 numbers. Both look to be around 75fps. It's more than 10fps drop in performance in DX12 for GTX1080 at this resolution.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

thanks dr_rus for pointing this out;

Quote "Known DirectX 12 issue:
    - There is a known bug that causes some very high end cards to regress relative to DirectX 11. This bug is being addressed by the development team."

So, I'd take these early DX12 numbers with a grain of salt, especially regarding what we're seeing on Pascal cards.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    According to the benchmark, I saw a performance increase.
    While only a few FPS, it's still an increase over DX11.

16. Mere

Mere Guest

GPU:
    amd fury 3840 1100/500
    I've just tested the game using its benchmark at High preset(same as guru3d), and my average fps was better in DX11. However, DX12 was less stuttery.

17. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    What about minimum FPS? By taking quick look in reddit benchmarks, it seems that lots of people got nice gains in that.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided – DX12 patch is now available, performs poorly on NVIDIA

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/deus-ex-mankind-divided-dx12-patch-is-now-available-performs-poorly-on-nvidias-hardware/

19. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z

Out of all this new API hype only Doom and Vulkan comes to mind but even mighty id Software had hard time getting it to work so that both nVidia and AMD could benefit. Square Enix simply outsourced PC version to Nixxes (no doubt few weeks before launch) and called it a day. Not Arkham Knight 2.0 but we almost got there, almost, hell even some effects are still missing from Deus Ex MD PC version (lens flares)

Something is definitely effed with DX12. Look at GPU usage at those screenshots, 65%-67% DX12 vs 99% DX11

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    A couple weeks, really?
    People seriously need to get off of the conspiracy theory mentality when it comes to PC ports.

Yes, it's common knowledge that Nixxes handled the PC version. That was know last year before it was even delayed.
    Hell, it's just foolish and ignorant to think that Arkham Knight's PC version was done in a couple weeks. That rumor was never validated.

And even so, Mankind Divided is a very solid PC port. Much better then a lot of others out there...
    Sorry. But, this mentality a lot have about PC versions these days is just... wow.