Detonator 51.75 & AquaMark 3 results

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 11, 2003.

1. mighty_fc

mighty_fc Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 470M 256mb
    thanx TheDigitalJedi i tend to like typing :D im doing my best here trying to express myself in english lol

2. obsceneGFX

obsceneGFX Member

DigitalJedi, when I said you don't have the authority to make definitive statements, I meant in terms of having done a proper test to compare the cards (IMO). You're certainly entitled to your opinion based on your own experiences, and I'm sure many people appreciate your efforts. :)

I can't believe people are still so misinformed about the whole human eye/fps thing. Why do you think the human eye can't see more than 30fps? Is it because movies appear smooth at that framerate? Well, guess what, movie frames use MOTION BLUR to give the eye the impression of fluidness, instead of discrete images like in computer games.

Gamers were first shown the difference between 30 and 60fps with a demo by 3dfx. People can clearly see a difference up to 100fps and beyond. But the importance of a high framerate is not just for visual smoothness. It also affects control precision and accuracy (relating to sampling rate). Then of course there's the fact that a higher framerate can prevent the game from becoming jerky in especially intensive situations.

Edit: Sorry mighty_fc, I originally quoted you by mistake.

By the way Alessandro, this is a video enthusiast website where people like to discuss all aspects of video cards. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  3. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:

Mighty_fc you have better english and typing skills than many people I know here in my apartment complex. LOLZ! :D

4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:

I couldn't agree with you more. It has been proven time and time again that computer users develop an "enhanced" form of vision if you will, that enables them to see far beyond the limited amount of frames stated by Alessandro. It's not just with frames but we also can articulate visual detail better than a non computer user as well.

5. marz

marz Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI geforceFX 5900 ultra
    Movies are filmed at 24 fps... just a little tidbit i learned in film class

6. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Lots of hypocrites doing the rounds today.... :rolleyes:
    If the roles were reversed and it was Nvidia in ATi's position, the FanATics would be crying bloody murder, recommending people boycott the game, and I defy anyone to say otherwise ;)
    Unfortunately, "Halflife 2" appears to be a stinking pile of dung running on anything less than an ATi card, thats pretty obvious and in the end it might very well work against Valve.
    As they're not just looking to sell HL2 (and 9800's), but also the "brilliant" Source engine for upcoming games, and I can't see why many Devs would use it over the Doom3 engine when it runs much worse on NV hardware (a large slice of the gaming market).
    I just thank the various gods that Quake 4, and many future games, especially Raven ones (Elite Force series, Jedi Knight, Soldier of Fortune) will be using a more equally performing and most likely better programmed GFX engine, where both ATi and NV users alike can experience decent levels of gaming.

7. obsceneGFX

obsceneGFX Member

LOL, talk about hypocrisy...:rolleyes:

The HL2 engine is scaleable, so there should be no problem with performance on various cards, depending on the chosen quality level. The GF4s are looking very good with the DX8 path.

What wll you say about every other game that pushes a similar level of shading as HL2? Doom3 doesn't make extensive use of advanced shaders so obviously it will perform differently.

And marz: movies today are displayed at many different framerates, from 24 to 30, up to 45 (IMAX).

Sorry for going offtopic in my posts. :)

8. Sivo

Sivo Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9600
    I cant belive I just read all this...

9. marz

marz Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI geforceFX 5900 ultra
    imax film runs at 48 fps

but a majority of major theatres use conventional 35mm film which is filmed and displayed at 24fps

films captured digitally at 30fps have to be edited to 24fps if they want a movie look. Which is probably the motion blurring your referring to.

i've not seen a theatre with a projector that displays at 30fps but lets get back on topic on video cards..

personally i don't really care.... i'm just waiting for deus ex 2 =)

10. obsceneGFX

obsceneGFX Member

Oops! I can hardly see - my contacts are all dried out hehe. Yes IMAX is 48.

11. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Theres nothing hypocritical in my post, that remark was in regards to the ATi drones complaining about the conspiracy theories (Valve/ATI), when they are just as bad!
    Learn to read in future, it will serve you well!

12. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    On another note, who cares if they make "optimizations" for games; aslong as it's "good" optimizations that improve performance without noticable image quality loss. Both ATi and nvidia have had issues in the pass with "optimizing" the bad way in games. ATi had that squabble with lowering the LOD in Q3 to gain a couple fps, along with blurrier textures.

13. mighty_fc

mighty_fc Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 470M 256mb

pal 24 fps , ntsc 30 fps and its the tv systems (pal/ntsc) that forces these fps to be used. u dont have to have 24 fps tomake itlook like film.. the fps is only system depending
    motion smoothening as far as i know is only used on tv's adding a xtra frame inbetween

14. Ultraq

Ultraq Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT AGP
    *looks at the table, compares results of GFFX5900U vs Radeon9800P*
    [​IMG]

You people are fighting over THIS?! You people are fighting over 1 MEASLEY FRAME PER SECOND?!?!?!? 20 pages of bitching and moaning over 1 FRAME!!!!???
    Oh wait, no, at about page 3 the ATI mofos start talking about Half-Life 2. So what are complaining about now? 2 frames-per-second?
    Ooo look, Doom 3 comes in at page 12, and now the crown has gone to nVidia for nicer images and...3? 3 frames? WOW that's a HUGE difference! :D

Please go outside, breathe some real oxygen (no, the air coming out from your computers exhaust fans is not oxygen), and do something more constructive. :rolleyes:

BTW, didn't Hilbert request that this thread be made for discussions of Aquamark and the new drivers?

15. mighty_fc

mighty_fc Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 470M 256mb
    who's fighting ? :vader:

16. apolir

apolir Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    @TheDigitalJedi

your post about where the hardware idustry is heading is my exact same thoughts. it was the main reason i chose my pc for gaming back in 1991? or whenever sega came out. after playstation and n64 had their exclusive titles i would be glad i chose pcs over console because pc's didn't have that problem,but sadly it looks to be heading that way. i hope to god im wrong about this but, hey you never know

ps: remeber how commadore64 playing every game on earth? never had fps or iq problems lol

17. mighty_fc

mighty_fc Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 470M 256mb

thats it im dusting off my old c64 again!! :rock:

18. orcman

orcman Guest

my cousin still has his tandy, it doesnt work, but he still has it.

19. Monrad

Monrad Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro =)))
    NO, I want more discussing.

If you are going to bring C64 to the topic I can say I have a C128 and it RULEZ. I've run 3DMark2001 on it and it scores 0.00035 when C64 only scores 0.00020

C64 SUCKZ

PS:
    I'm not posting any serious crap because this forum has lost sense. Thanks JediKnight for those great benchmarks. If I had money, I'd do benchmarking too, just for fun and comparission. It makes sense the fact 5900U wins by some little FPS over 9800Pro. I've saw that in some reviews over the net. I also saw how can ATI wins over NV in tomshardware... but... look at his articles, he obviously loves ATI.

We are too far away from reality discussing because one single game performs too much better in ATI cards than NV cards. We are facing a change in graphic technology and we'll have to wait until everything become standard.

20. mighty_fc

mighty_fc Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 470M 256mb

OHHH dont make me go Spectrum 48k on your behind ;)