Details AMD B450 Mid-range Chipset Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Definitely welcome for those who are on a budget and don't need top if the line dual gpu setup.

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    For Intel, if buying an unlocked chip you have no choice but to spend big bucks on the best chipset.
    A least for AMD you can chose what features you want your motherboard to have. I don't need all the ports X has to offer so a premium B board would be a better buy for me over a cheap X board.

4. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Dual GPU isn't even a thing anymore these days since there is zero support for it.

Silva likes this.

5. matox

matox Member

GPU:
    8870M - 2GB GDDR5
    Forgive this noob. But any news on memory speed?

6. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Whatever happened to the itx-specific x300/b300/a300 chipsets anyways? I've never seen a board using those.

7. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    OEM....

8. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Crossfire/SLI may still be usable in many modern titles but I do find it a bit hard to justify for gaming PCs nowadays. Multi-GPU setups are still very much a thing, but really only for workstations and servers. I'm guessing this is one reason why sockets AM4 and 1151 are a bit anemic with their PCIe lanes, while larger sockets are full of them.

It is a bit weird, but I'm guessing the cost differences of the actual chipsets were too insignificant for mobo manufacturers to wait for them. ITX is in-demand so it probably made more sense to pay a little extra for a B350 chipset and revolve a motherboard around that. You can actually take advantage of most of a B350/B450 chipset on ITX, though it seems most board manufacturers don't bother. As for the X370 boards, those are just plain stupid since (to my knowledge) none of them offer any benefits over the B350 variants. But, it gives the manufacturers an excuse to charge more.
    That being said, yes, I have an X370 ITX board, I knew it was stupid before I bought it, but it was the only option at the time and it was being sold for the same price as the B350 option.
    I don't think OEMs would support B or X chipsets.

10. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The memory controller is housed inside the CPU, support for memory should be similar to the previous chipsets.
    For instance F1 2017, Wolvenstein 2, AC origins, Forza 7, Middle Earth SoW and Total War Warhammer 2 have really poor scaling to the point you are just better off using a single GPU.
    The problem is that DX12 forces the game maker to implement the multi-gpu in their engine, i really doubt there will be much support in the coming year for all the newer games.

11. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    With news like this and with RAM, SSD, & GPU prices dropping expect a huge surge of budget buyers. I'm one of them and the market has been owned for the last 3 years by miners and people that have the money to build or upgrade. I know I'm not the only one holding on to an old system that only plays new games at around 20-50 FPS. The struggle is real. Bills come first then my car then my computer.

To be honest I was just going to build a RYZEN (1-2 months ago) setup but once I saw the prices of RAM and GPU's I knew it would be a foolish time to build a system and let greedy companies take advantage of me. Hopefully prices will be better in the summer.

Last edited: May 23, 2018