Destroying Headphones/Speakers

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by andawra, Aug 29, 2010.

1. andawra

andawra New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTS 512
    So right of the bat, is it possible to destroy your Speakers or Headphones by over-steering ?

i recently got myself some of those sweet Sennheiser HD 555's, i also got an creative xfi

i noticed those little suckers could pull a lot of volume, i had to put the volume down to like 20-30% for it being comfortable

i pushed it a little to see how loud they would go at 100 ( not wearing them ofc )

they almost acted like speakers! but i could hear the over-steering, it crackled and the sound was distorted

can something like that damage the headphones ?

because ever since, me being my paranoid self, i can sometimes hear a feint crackle, but that could also be nothing

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea you can blow the headphones drivers out if you play them too much at max volume.

3. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    I have the 595 but I've never pushed them that far. But yeah, too much volume could kill the hd555.

About the crackling thing, you're not paranoid but it's probably not the headphone. The x-fi sound cards have a habit of producing crackled sound. It should be gone with the latest drivers or try rebooting if you hear it. You should also hear the crackles and pops if you're not listening to anything.

If you only hear the crackles when playing audio even at a low volume and you're certain it's not the song or video etc, then the headphones are busted.

4. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2070 Mini OC
    Yeah, I'd assume the crackling was clipping from the soundcard, those Sennheiser's can take a fair beating (but maybe not 100 Hz and below for long periods of time at that high volume).

5. andawra

andawra New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GTS 512
    Well i don't hear a constant crackle anyways, just sometimes, maybe that's just the xfi being the xfi as you guys already noted.

I already use the latest danielk driver pack so that should not be the problem.

Good to know though that the drive can be damaged that way, makes sense after all :nerd:

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    You can blow them out, but it should never happen at the volumes you can physically listen to as a human with the headphones on your head. But there are these morons that use their headphones as speakers from time to time...

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You can blow headphones or speakers easily with too much power.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yep, but like I said, it shouldn't happen with a decent pair if you stick to noise levels which you as a human can physically stand with the headphone on your head.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, which is why I said "over powering" them...if they are cranked beyond what you cna listen to comfortably and you will damage them. Works exactly the same as when people blow speakers, just too much power.
    If they are used within their proper operating parameters they should be fine.

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    To properly jam Slayer, this has to be ignored. :D