Destiny 2: Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Oct 13, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah micro-transactions are a mere nuisance (if that) compared to other issues.

Other issues being everything Destiny (eventually) got right is wrong again in Destiny 2, in short, I've been told.

But at least things are improving. Maybe this will be good by the time GOTY edition is released. In other words on par with first Destiny.

I'll probably redownload Destiny 2 over the weekend and resume playing. Redownload because that darn patch still won't download!

Tried verifying files, completed ok, patch won't download still. Maybe because I haven't played in months (missed the last update or two) and W10 got updated too something got borked.

2. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    Is there a counter anywhere to see how much time you've spent on the game, like the Steam "hours played" counter?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    No, you didn't understand. That's exactly the issue. The rest of the problems follow from that. Selling transactions and appealing to everyone was at the forefront of the game's design. The rest was secondary, which resulted in all these issues.

In order to target the largest demographic possible, the game ended up generic as f. When a game is designed by committee and designed for micro transactions, you can only get garbage out of it that only appeals to people who don't play video games.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Shataan likes this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    What is the rest of the issues according to you? Do elaborate?

I'll tell you what is wrong with Destiny 2. It's not the "lack of content", it's not the same enemies over and over, it's not the micro transactions, it's not gameplay mechanics.

It's the gearing. Destiny 2 is a looter shooter. Like The Division, for example. In The Division (TD from now on), you start the game and choose what you want to play. Go DZ, go Underground, go Incursions, go roaming and kill bosses in LZ, whatever. All of these activities can drop you gear that rolls with random stats and perks. There's gearscore brackets as you level and after you complete the main game but once you hit World Tier 5, there's no more gear brackets.

Now, in TD, there's some gear, be it weapons, that are rare and everyone wants them. You can play the game for weeks and not have one drop. I'll give you an example. I came back to TD a few weeks after The House was the weapon everyone wanted. On my second day, I jump into DZ with some guys on Discord and I get a drop within 10 minutes of being online. There's one guy in the group who sighs and tells me he's been grinding the DZ for 2 weeks trying to get one. To make things even better, it dropped with god rolls, great stats and the right perks.

This other guy then messaged me a couple of days later saying he got one drop but it had a terrible roll so he played on to find another one.

It's the same with classified gear pieces, everyone wants them and it gives you something to do, something to aim for. Again with this gear, it can drop with great stats, or with terrible stats. You can re-roll your stats and perks, to an extent, so even if a piece of gear drops not so perfect, you can make it usable. You can also optimise your gear, but that costs quite some in game currency and mats and some gear really isn't worth pushing too high because it rolled badly. It's all about that journey to get the best gear and when you finally get it, it feels great.

There is none of this in Destiny 2. All the gear drops with the same perks and the same stats, once you find it, you can't improve on it. You have it and that's it. Sure, you can infuse it, but finding a random blue drop with higher Power Level just to infuse it into your BIS weapon just doesn't feel the same. Not to mention, you get gear literally given to you by the game every week so you pretty much don't have to do anything to get that gear.

It's such a bad design for a looter game. What drives these games is the fact that you can get a BIS piece at any time and it makes you feel great about putting all the effort in. Finding an exotic in Destiny 2 feels like crap because EVERYONE has that same exotic you just got. It's a pointless grind.

The game doesn't reward you for the time you put in, that is the main issue and it's an easy fix but for some reason Bungie haven't figured it out yet. It has NOTHING to do with micro transactions, you don't have to spend a penny to have the best gear in game, it's all cosmetic and gives you zero advantage.

So, in short, that is what is the problem with Destiny 2. I'm out.

Irsh, lucidus and AsiJu like this.

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Well, you are both right guys! As metagamer put it – that’s the main problem with the game. But also RealNC is right, that the game’s is dumbed down to appeal to everyone and part of that is the microtransactions model.

But to add my two cents to the loot drops – yes exotics are very easy to find now and that is a problem, but making them rarer part of the RNG is also not the solution IMO. I remember in the first game, I wanted the Hawkmoon so bad and just drew the short straw every time with it. It was dropping left and right, but never in me. It took almost a year to finally get it and by that time, it was nerfed. Very frustrating. For me the best way to do it is with quests. Make them HARD, so when you finally get it, you feel like you deserved it. Remember the Thorn quest? It was hard as balls, that you needed to charge (or something) an item in the Crusible and when you die, the charge went down. So you had to be good, you needed other good weapons (with void burn) to do it and so on. And when I got mine, I was feeling that I deserved that OP PvP weapon. And when I got killed by it, I knew that the person on the other side has busted their ass to get it, and was not just a lucky random drop.

I really hope that the masterworks exotics will bring back some of that. As far as I know, you need to do a list of things to get one, but the catch is, that no one knows what they are. Eventually they will be figured out, but if they are hard and require you to really work for to make them, now that’s how you should get an OP weapon. Not just some random drop..

AsiJu likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yup, gear drops must be worthwhile but too random RNG can be frustrating too. Balance is the key here I think.

As in The Division, gear pools (and stats) got tweaked over and over until they finally got to where they are now, ie. very good!
    The balanced RNG system also meant no two drops were ever identical, even with the same piece. Ofc the gear / character building system is quite a bit more advanced in Division than Destiny 2 anyhow.

metagamer likes this.
  7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Sorry, but how is D2 designed for micro transactions? I don't understand.

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Guys plz anyone s help with this mission, where i need to kill 4 extractors and then i can t continue after it, i just have 1 flag for public events, is my game bugged or what? There is no chandlier to access adventures as i saw on youtube vids...

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What mission is it and where?

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    strotland mission ,where there is 4 extractors i need to kill, glimmer extraction

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I think all glimmer extractions are public events? So when the time runs out it's over.

They repeat often though.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    it worked again, my game was bugged, it wasn t showing any adventures... that was weird actually.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Despite many negative reviews about this game, i'm liking it actually so far, for 12 bucks it's not bad! :)
    Not playing PvP much as i suck always at these ;-)

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    Now that Season 3: Warmind started, into playing it again. They have managed to make getting Sleeper Simulate quite difficult to get. Being lucky enough to get a group to successfully complete the Protocol Escalation events is challenging. The sheer volume of enemies to do in and then the boss fight at the end... Have failed every attempt so far; time runs out.

Then there are those little emblems hidden here and there on Mars. Have found 22/45 so far. The exotic sword after finding and destroying 25 of them is fun to play with. Son loves that sword.

The thing with the microtransactions is that what is obtained through them has absolutely no bearing on game play. It only gives shaders, sparrows, and ships. The weapon mods are nothing special that the gunsmith does not already hand out. Eververse is a complete waste and that is the only place those transactions can be transacted if anyone is dumb enough to spend additional monies.

What is a good active clan? The one I joined has been dead for a long time.

@metagamer: The real gear is dropped in the raids. Not everyone is able to complete those without a good group. Now with the new patch, even the Heroic Strikes are a challenge. The campaign is dull. The grind now is fun again because of the challenge.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    yup for 12 bucks and u get 6 other games, not bad at all

16. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Trying to find more hand held items besides gun style or mines. For some variety. Some games have repair tools or other tools to fix things. Anyone know of upcoming or existing items you can carry by hand in gameplay that show on screen other than weapons?

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    any way to fix the breakable and bad AA in this game?, there is shimmering all over edges even with smaa on

18. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    Finished the sp campaign. It was alright. Graphically outstanding, but half the time I wished I was playing a Bungie-made Halo instead.

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Resolution scale option helps with that a bit, but needs strong gfx card :-/

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Why would a dev not take care of this issue when other older games have no issues with AA...darn it bungie..