Destiny 2 AMD Ryzen 3000 Issues solved with chipset driver update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bungie’s Destiny 2 doesn’t currently work with on AMD’s latest CPU. It’s was not clear why this is currently the case. The problem cropped up a few days ago when Ryzen 3000 early upgraders found they couldn’t run the game. A week ago, Redditor Trinsikk posted. AMD now has a solve available.

Read more

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It actually is known why Destiny 2 wouldn't launch,

the game makes use of the RDRAND x86 instruction on Intel Haswell+, and AMD Jaguar+ architectures, AMD's implementation is guilty of returning -1 after coming out of certain power states, instead of a value in an expected range as the Seed would determine.

This should only have posed a problem on Zen 1/2 after a Sleep and resume cycle, but because Ryzen 3k is completely sleeping individual cores it was experiencing the same thing without such a cycle.

Reason for this is that AMD doesn't implement core entropy states.
    What is not known is how the chipset driver resolves it.

Is it saving the state prior to letting the cores sleep and then restoring them on the next time the instruction is utilised?
    Is it virtualizing an entropy state or just emulating the instruction entirely?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    GSDragoon, schmidtbag and Fox2232 like this.
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    LOL that's why it would not launch, i had no idea it was my 3600 causing it. :p

EDIT: Installing that chipset driver now to test.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It apparently doesn't work if SVM is enabled in the bios, suggesting there might be some register save and restore trickery at work.

5. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    So is it a BIOS update or a chipset driver update needed ?
    Headline says chipset, text says BIOS o_O

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it was supposed to be a bios update, but they are resolving it with a driver right now.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Totally unacceptable really. Does AMD not test popular games with their CPUs? This is obviously on their end, not the developers.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Robert said this game isn't in their testing suite because its highly difficult to get any performance numbers from it.

Also they probably weren't expecting their lack of core entropy to bite them in the ass this way (far as i know Zen2's low power state is much like how the cpu goes to sleep in S3 standby)

MBTP likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Testing all popular games is nearly impossible.
    I bet there are test suites for every single x86 instruction and combination of them and parallel executions of them.
    All in all testing games on a cpu is not what I would expect.

Is weird to me that none of their test caught that the instruction wasn't working in a particular power state, or that the core is not waken up on that instruction, but this is not something you find out running a bunch or a ton of games.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm surprised it wasn't caught on Raven Ridge first, since it also implemented CC6 and CPUOFF.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The fault is on their end, though, it's unrealistic for them to test every popular game. And even then, Destiny 2 isn't that popular.

The more confusing issue is how they somehow didn't notice booting issues with Linux. I understand the Ryzen series isn't really all that interested in the Linux desktop, but, if Zen2 were released on Epyc first, that would have been a much bigger issue. On the other hand, they also probably would've noticed the problem long before launch day if they released Epyc first.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    It's Destiny 2 on Linux... like .01% of people affected.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Actually, Destiny 2 doesn't run on Linux at all; the problems are separate, but, they're both related to the same underlying issue (rdrand).

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    The driver does fix it, played it this morning for an hour.

15. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    RDRAND x86 instruction returning -1 is the culprit of boot issues on Linux distro with systemd requesting the value from motherboard firmware

16. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Installed these on my x470 platform because why not. BTW, i've noticed this and previous official/stable version do not come anymore with power profiles for ryzen. Can anyone confirm it? Or is it because i'm on x470?

17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Not having it too on my B450 mobo anymore.

18. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    There is supposed to be a major update tomorrow from AMD. I don't know if it's an announcement or an official bios roll out, but they are supposed to have some details. This announcement is going to supposedly address the high voltage at idle, WHEA errors, and Destiny issues. There is a long thread on Reddit and an AMD representative is supposed to be posting there tomorrow with the details. I would imagine an official bios will be out soon to get your power profiles back too.

spectatorx likes this.
  19. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    The game completely crashes for a single out of range random number? and the devs pretend users to wait for and install a complete bios update instead of actually patching their game????
    I'm not defending AMD, just saying the game devs are treating their customers (ok, a small part of them) like crap..... patching that should be a 10 min task ....

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    VESA modes have nothing to do with x86, so im not seeing your point here.

have you seen the game code and how much relies on that instruction?