Desprate here. Installing XP: Endless restarting.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by slyven, Sep 30, 2006.

1. slyven

slyven Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    Hey. I just got a new setup which was pre-built but XP was not installed. I installed XP first and it worked fine (OEM XP Pro with SP2.) then for some reason the mouse and keyboard refused to work. So I just decided to re-install windows as i really didn't have the time to solve that issue (needed my PC fast).

However, during this second install XP has been restarting endlessly and I have absolutely no idea what exactly is going on. It restart when I boot from the CD and tried to re-install. It re-starts when i let it boot and it goes to try and finish the windows install.

I am desprate. I really need this pc to work. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Try formatting your hard drive from the beginning to be sure that there isn't any leftovers from the last win xp setup left, you can do that in the windows setup too so it shouldn't be very hard :) Then try installing windows again, that should help.
    Good luck!

3. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    or you can go to start ->control panel-> system->advanced tab ->start up and recovery section->advanced and turn off automatcally restart

4. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2060 Ventus OC
    Heat.

Either your CPU or video card is over heating and restarting the system.....more than likely, the CPU. If it was built, chances are the heatsink for the CPU was not applied properly or the fan was not plugged in/or it failed.

Open the case and check all fans. Then, remove the CPU heatsink (get some thermal paste first). Gently clean the CPU/heatsink surface with 99% rubbing alcohol. When ready, apply just a drop of thermal paste on the core of the CPU. Attach just one side of the clips...then gently attach the other side without applying any downward pressure on the CPU itself.

Plug the fan into CPU_FAN1 or however it's labeled.

If that doesn't cure it...there may be another hardware failure.