Desperately need to upgrade

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by GuitarScott, Jan 1, 2009.

1. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    Alright, i've had a system with an amd 3200+ venice, 2gb ocz plat ddr(1) ram, a 550w nice psu, and a crappy no name shuttle motherboard(had to replace my nice msi that crapped out after like 6 months in 2006.

At the moment it has a bfg 8800gt oc in it, and i can play most games at 1280x1024 decently. After putting vista back on after a year and a half buying it, cod5 and grid run a LOT slower than the same settings in xp. I do not want to go back to XP, as my wife enjoys browsing in vista much more. Need some advice on good cheap upgrade thatll allow me to play games for another year or so.

Need:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    Memory

Intel or AMD, dunno anymore. Been outta the game for a while and I know core2duo is kickass but i would think amd has comparable hardware.

2. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    LOL, what's your budget? Can't really help without that.

3. dipanzan

dipanzan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    + wat is the primary use of the system ???-cant really hlp without that also

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    How about getting ahold Windows 7 and giving that a try - it's superior to Vista in every way, plays games faster, opens apps faster - generally speaking, it's everything that Vista was supposed to be, and that's why Microsoft is rushing this out to the public...because they pushed Vista out the door too soon and 7 is the completed project.

Other than that, I can tell you that you're going to get more bang for your buck by sticking with AMD. (it's going to be MUCH cheaper to purchase an AMD system that does what you want it to than to purchase an Intel system in the same vein)

Post back with a budget and you'll be surprised at the amount of build knowledge that pours into this thread. In the meantime, check into getting ahold of Windows 7 Beta to test for a couple months...

Psychlone

*DISCLAIMER*
    This post, in no way, shape or form, is intended to give the impression that downloading illegal software is condoned by me. What you do with your torrents is your business!

5. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    didn't even know windows 7 was even working yet. Ha

Budget prolly less than 500 usd. I'm a gamer, got pretty much all the major games from 2008 lol.

6. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Well at that price, this is what i would recommend.

Phenom 9950 BE (125w) $175
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291
    It's a damn fast quadcore!

Asus 790FX motherboard $189
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339
    Currently the best 790FX mobo to overclock a phenom.

4GB Corsair (2X2GB) $69
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214
    It has good timing, doesn't require crazy voltage, and it isn't overpriced. It works for Phyclone too. :p

The total is $433 + shipping.

7. GuitarScott

GuitarScott Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT 512MB
    sounds like a good deal.