Desktop's Video goes black, monitors do not detect video!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by patach, Sep 21, 2009.

1. patach

patach New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 51
    My desktop is a Digital Storm PC, running Windows XP.

I was playing Left 4 Dead today, when I heard a pop around my system. Being that I wasn't sure what it was coming from, and there was no change in the game, I kept playing.

However, after the game, I started web browsing and all of a sudden, my two monitors went out. The computer, however, kept running.

I turned off the system and turned it back on, the monitors detected “no video” and remained black. However, the computer itself seemed to turn itself on well. I plugged in a spare monitor, and found the same effect with that one: “no video detected”.

While the desktop was on, I used my laptop to check the hard drives on the desktop through the LAN, everything was intact, I was able to browse through my files and copy them over to my laptop. It didn't seem the PC was deterred in any way asides from video.

I did notice that my “side fan” (attached to the case of the computer) wasn't spinning and creating air. So I opened my computer, airblasted the dust from it so it could spin easily, and then air blasted the rest of the system. I then plugged it in to see if any other fans weren't working. The power supply's fan was working, the video card fan was working, motherboard and side fans were working.

I plugged everything back in, but the same problem persist.

I'm thinking that the video card is the problem, and that it's finally gone bust perhaps due to the fact that the side fan wasn't working properly. However, I am not fully sure about that. Is there anything you can suggest to me? Is it really the video card, or is this a symptom of something else? If it is my videocard, can I save it? Or should I just go and buy a new one?

Let me know what I can do to get my video up and running again. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Specs: Power Supply: 620W Corsair HX (SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition) (High-Quality Unit)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
    Motherboard: nVidia 680i LT Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
    Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 667MHz (Dual Channel)
    Floppy / Media: Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
    Hard Drive 1: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
    Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600GTS 512MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
    Windows OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Includes Service Pack 2)
    Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    try taking the graphics card out, giving it a wee blast, and then re seating it..... sounds like itd could be a gpu problem :(

you could rma your card i think if it is!

3. Mark121

Mark121 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660
    patach inspect your video cards for leaking or blown capacitors.
    That pop you hear could have been on of those caps going bad.