1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

der8auer,I need YOUR Help! RYZEN 3000 Boost Analysis

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by gerardfraser, Aug 21, 2019.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Insane? Run "optimized defaults"?
    Yeah, let's run memories at 1866MHz => IF clock.
    Latency issues may put CPU in situation it stalls due to not having data to process => automatically lower clock.
    Default PBO Disabled => no max boost.

Same as with Zen(+).
    For example rated Max clock for 2700X is 4.3GHz and one can forget about it without PBO even on single core. At best 4.25GHz.

So, yeah! Let's misconfigure all we can that we lose 15% performance and complain that CPU does not boost above 98.3% of its potential clock.

Edit: I wonder why he does not have brain aneurysm from RX 5700 (XT) boosting method.
    Anyone cared to read what's on the box/AMD's specifications and then see what are actual default values in Radeon Settings?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Derpbauer proving time and time again that he just don't know crap if it isn't an intel.

Caesar likes this.
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    My 3700X actually boosts slightly worse with PBO on with an ASRock B450M Pro 4

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen Boost Clock Investigation by Hardware Unboxed,did not actually watch this one.

anticupidon likes this.
  6. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    in this video der8auer thinks exactly like me , I am convinced that AMD has declared false data on the frequencies of its CPUs or is there a problem in measuring the maximum frequencies

ryzen 3700x and aorus x570 ultra latest bios and amd drivers on windows 10

the pc is stable "rock solid" but there are obvious problems, the cpu always maintains a high voltage type 1.42-1.45v in cpuz and hwinfo64, the cpu fails to go in idle, it never goes below 3.3ghz while intel also fell to 800mhz. with everything in automatic and all cores 100% traveling at 4,175mhz with a boost on the single core of 4300mhz
    in a month I have never seen the cpu reach 4.4ghz in boost and 4.6ghz in PBO mode promised by AMD. holds the manual overclocking on all 4.3ghz cores with 1.425v but only through ryzen master if I set 43x100 with vcore 1.425v on the bios the pc does not start and I am forced to do the reset after 3 times that does not start the motherboard restore default values automatically I am forced to leave everything automatically and only after forcing 43x100 from the ryzen master software in windows applying the profile1. it's a strange thing I think there are problems on the BIOS!

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    The issue is not that AMD provided false information it is trying to see which parameter is holding the clocks back, kicking in the throttling. These puppies are overclocking themselves by taking into account several parameters. So as long as all parameters are lined up, the chips will clock/oc to those frequencies. Heck, I am still waiting on 1003ABB for my motherboard before assembling it all. New mobo and cpu are collecting dust because I do not feel like experiencing early adoption issues this time around.

HandR and Evildead666 like this.
  8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    The issue is NOT the CPU. It's the motherboards. How else can the same CPU, run with 3 different base / boost speeds, on 3 different motherboards from the same vendor ?
    As shown in the video linked to by gerardfraser.
    I even get different boost speeds on my 2700X, depending on what BIOS I use.
    BIOS 2501 will boost higher than BIOS 2606 which contains a newer AGESA.
    Motherboards vendors are still struggling to catch up to Ryzen 3000.
    In other words, they weren't ready when AMD launched or maybe AMD should have waited a bit.

HandR, Caesar and Evildead666 like this.
  9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'm still waiting for the last parts of my WC setup (maybe all of it will be delivered by this weekend), but i'm also waiting for the ABB Bios too.

I'm just hoping that its taking this long because they want to get it as stable as possible.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

11. PcMrRe88

PcMrRe88 Member

GPU:
    1080ti
  12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What was said above and boosting capabilities depend on conditions, meaning your cooler and motherboard mostly.

Ryzens do not drop idle clocks very low, that's by design as far as I know.

PBO does not increase your boost clocks, it may help sustain boost clocks in some cases.
    The PBO + AutoOC +200 MHz is the maximum allowed offset / extra boost, that doesn't mean you will get it.

Most importantly, AGESA microcode isn't 100 % final yet as of 1.0.0.3ABB, and not all motherboards have a BIOS available with 1.0.0.3ABB even.
    Even if not officially stated anywhere it seems to be more or less the case that max. boost clocks are somewhat lower with 1003ABB than previous versions.
    Most likely to ensure proper operation until all bugs and issues are fixed.

Precision Boost with Zen 2 is very similar to eg. Nvidia's GPU Boost where clocks are dynamically adjusted. So you don't get "locked" clocks anymore, unless ofc. setting them manually.

HandR likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Technically speaking it does.
    But mainly because it overrides all 3 power limits and time/voltage allowance.

But its functionality via BIOS is limited by MB manufacturer. As some have just Enabled/Disabled Switch, and others give you each sub option separately to adjust.
    Then there is Ryzen Master which is able to set given values in runtime as long as PBO is enabled. But that "only" changes power limit values.

Anyone who wants to understand Ryzen's clock behavior should use Ryzen Master and play around with each limit in different scenarios.
    (Funny, it provides pretty powerful tool to masses and Professional HW guys get sometimes confused by it or refuse to actually read what tool tells them.)

14. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Just tried "auto OC" on Ryzen Master and it gave me identical results to having nothing set up other than PBO off in BIOS. Then I tried PBO in RM and as expected I got worse performance. My 3700X never goes past 4.375.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    PBO alone does not increase your maximum boost clock is what I meant. Technically speaking.
    So if your chip has a max boost of say 4.5 GHz, PBO (alone) won't allow it boost to 4.6 GHz.

Yeah AMD themselves are still trying to figure out the last kinks but these "experts" already know everything, lols.
    AMD and especially Ryzen is a different beast than Intel, you can't assume everything works the same, with Zen 2 in particular.

Granted AMD could document these features better for the public but I suppose 90 % of Ryzen 2 users are happy just leaving everything at default.
    Which is the best choice for the most part I think.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz

Please note what he says about "Clock on the Box" in relation to "PBO". And all the other things. There is slight change from behavior in Zen+ as there was with move from Zen to Zen+.
    Even while it is somewhat related to X570 boards. But isn't that category of boards this topis is about anyway?

17. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I don't see a problem here , to me it was made perfectly clear that the boost clocks are "up to ....." depending on power delivery , cooling , quality of chip , motherboard ,.....
    From what I have seen so far the chips are pretty much there , some slightly under some slightly over but that is exactly what I would have expected .
    Hardware unboxed sums it up really well .

AsiJu likes this.
  18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    OK, so I did a Cinebench 20 run on my 3800X, and it boosted to 449? MHz, cant remember last digit exactly.
    I do remember that it was 44.8x multiplier, which I think would be a better judge of boost, as we may not all have the same base clock.
    I have a 99.8MHz base clock, not 100MHz, as far as I can tell.
    (edit : quick calc comes up at 4471MHz, but it was 448 or 449 something I saw)

Its not connected to the internet at the moment, with a clean install of Windows and GoG and Steam clients,and a few bench .exes on the desktop.
    I left it for a while, watching a film on another PC, came back, and saw in HWInfo 610, that the CPU multiplier had gone up to 45.3x, and the CPU hit 4516.7MHz boost clock, on one core.
    It seems it took 1.498V, as that was the max voltage seen.
    stock cooler, the wraith LED thing...79.8°C Max.

So, it does boost on mine at least, just weirdly while idling, or whatever chose to run while I wasn't looking :).

1804 1.0.0.3 AB Bios, Asus Tuf B450M-PRO Gaming.
    Just got the memory at 3800C16, thats all i've changed in the Bios, nothing relating to PBO or whatnot (getting the Rad and stuff from the post office tomorrow morning).

19. Cidious

Cidious Active Member

GPU:
    GB RTX 2070S G OC
    Got my 3600 boosting to 4300 instead of 4200. I'd say that's above specs. PBO on manual giving it a 200mhz headroom and 95 tdw. Boosts up to about 4300 with 43 multiplier Instead of 42.

MSI B450M Mortar bios V19
    Trident Z 3200C14 @ 3600C14 1.44v
    Corsair H80i V2 with conductonaut
    Corsair RM650X

Fox2232 and Evildead666 like this.
  20. Jawnys

Jawnys Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac amp extreme 1080ti
    my 3900x on asrock steel legend x570, 32 gb ram 4 stick of 8 at 3600 cl 16, cr1, corsair h115i pro push pull boost properly

voltage auto, no pbo

i found out that sound blaster connect was causing my cpu not to undervolt, closing it gave me better single core score and a bit better multi as well. i also did change the ryzen plan balanced and put minimum processor state to 5 %,

https://imgur.com/Nstbihg