Denuvo Website Leaks Secret Information, Crackers Swarm

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Extraordinary, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Denuvo Website Leaks Secret Information, Crackers Swarm

While the folks at Denuvo are leaders in the field of video game protection, the same cannot be said about their website. In an embarrassing blunder, the company has left some directories and files open to the public and right now members of the cracking community are downloading and scrutinizing the contents.

[​IMG]

denuvoAnti-piracy outfit Denuvo has taken a bit of a battering lately after chinks began appearing in the company’s armor. Last weekend, cracking group CPY defeated the protection on Resident Evil 7 in just five days, a record for the anti-tamper technology.

Just a week on, Denuvo has more problems to deal with. For reasons best known to them, the company has left several private directories on its website open to the public, as shown in the image below.

[​IMG]

Most of the content appears relatively mundane but hidden away in the logs directory is an 11MB text file called Ajax.log, which appears to contain customer support emails dating back to 2014. While some are from companies looking to hire Denuvo, a notable email in slightly broken English appears to have been sent by Capcom.

“This is Jun Matsumoto from CAPCOM Japan. I have a interested in the Denuvo Anti-Tamper solution to protect our game software. If you have a white paper about details, please send me. (ex. platform, usage, price, etc…) And, if you have a sales agent in Japan, please tell me the contact point. Thank you for your cooperations,” it reads.
    Another was sent by Jan Newger of Google, who wanted to learn more about Denuvo.

“I’m working in the security team at Google, and would like to evaluate the denuvo product to get an understanding on how it would integrate with existing solutions,” it reads.
    “I’m specifically interested in further strengthening existing solutions to hinder understanding/tampering with binary programs. Is it possible to obtain some kind of demo version of the product? Also, could you send a quote to me?

But for every business opportunity, there are dozens of emails from angry pirates, each looking to vent their anger.
    “Why do you have to make such **** software to **** over pc gamers with DRM bull****. Please inform the companies you work with that if your DRM is implemented on games they are selling, they will lose thousands of customers. Thanks,” wrote someone identifying themselves as Angry Customer.

While any leak of confidential data is a serious event, this developing situation appears to be getting worse. Within the last few minutes, more insecure directories have been discovered, some of them containing relatively large files.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, the contents of these files will be of great interest to Denuvo’s adversaries. With that in mind, TF headed over to a platform where crackers meet and sure enough, they are extremely excited and all over this breach. Thus far it appears that most of the files have been downloaded, including one that appears to contain access logs for Denuvo’s website and others which carry executables.

It’s too early to say exactly what these files do but crackers will be hoping for any piece of information or clue explaining how Denuvo works and how it can be defeated. Another bad week for Denuvo is quickly getting worse.

Breaking news, updates to follow.

Update: One of the executables contained a Denuvo slide presentation.

Source:
    https://torrentfreak.com/crackers-swarm-as-denuvo-website-leaks-secret-information-170205/

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That 24MB file contains a securom protected foxit reader exe apparently. There might be more but ... securom? Oh god. **** securom and its retarded apologists.

3. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    CPY have just cracked Battlefield 1 should be more to follow now i would think.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    One of those All your base are belong to us moments...... maybe xD

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Denuvo is the sucesor to Securerom.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    This blunder is beyond insane. Will the company file for bankruptcy?

8. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64
    You'd be surprised how many companies have unsecured websites. And usually it is not the company fault, but the people who made that website. A lot of rookie web developers never think of disabling server directory listings.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I haven't touched anything with Denuvo until after it has been removed. I remember way back buying a new game (Battlefront 2 maybe?) and going to install it, only to find out it had Securom. I ended up building a second PC out of spare parts to play coop with my buddies so that evil DRM poison would never touch my main machine.

I'm a long time gamer, since the age of 3 or 4 from what my parents say, and I always buy what is worth my hard earned money. I'm a legitimate owner of hundreds of physical and hundreds of digital games, yet I continue to be viewed as pond scum that only wants free software and to steal developers food from out of their babies mouth. Seriously, I'm so sick of DRM and things that only end up hurting or punishing the PAYING CUSTOMERS! Let my proof of purchase disable your draconian "protection" at the very least, or charge less for the infested versions of games.

I hope this scourge dies soon or gets dropped by enough potential clients that it goes under. I don't envy or hate the people who choose to do this job, but they could at least try to find a way that doesn't impact the *good* consumers experience or performance of these games. /rant

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same as most other pirates :D jk

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    +1. I remember being annoyed after finding out that Arkham Knight had this but on the bright side I bought it from Brazil for cheap on launch lol. Screw them.

I can't believe we're repeating the past decade all over again. Suckyrom is blocked in Win10 afaik and I don't trust a damn thing to come out of that company or any other one of these protection racketeers. At least with Steam CEG, I can trust Valve to not eff us over or cause problems with offline mode or the PC itself.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 2060
    so many games cracked lately by CPY, so denuvo isn t as we expected games will be cracked as so many were cracked lately, farcry primal and watch dogs 2 were the latest ones

13. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Dear lord, is this for real?! This is the most basic security level for a website. We're not even talking injecting SQL or anything, just a freaking URL, wtf!!
    Is this the 90s ?!

15. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    Yeah.. Seems too convenient, perhaps intentional. I wouldn't put it past any company that's feeling the heat and looking for a scapegoat. Not that it had anything to do with why it (RE7/BF1) was cracked.

Time to make it more complex, CPY getting it down, granted it changes. ..Pirates still don't get updates etc. Whatever ver. X game is at the time, is the ver. they're stuck with. Still, they get to play it, nonetheless.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Denuvo were pretty open when RE7 got cracked.
    Saying something along the lines that is was only a matter of time before people found quicker ways around their software.

And that they'd be focusing on updates to improve the security of it.

17. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    This company will not last.
    Prophet suggest that Denuvo will be dead by end of 2017.