Denuvo protection defeated and fixed again

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Probably. They all use the same protection so if one fall others will too.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    A funny thing I noticed. A lot of people don't realize how important the ability to be cracked is for the posterity of a game. All Bethesda games are what they are because they are crackable and injection that modifies core libraries of the .exe can be loaded. Same for legendary games like Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Vampire: Bloodlines, and TONS of others. Retro/heavily modded games will be impossible for this generation, unless Denuvo is cracked for good.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Demigod is a terrible game and I reckon that's why it sold poorly. Meanwhile, Sins of a Solar Empire isn't and it's even available on GOG. Companies have been 'battling' piracy for decades now and media is, unsurprisingly, still coming out.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    While actually noteworthy titles sell like hotcakes nonetheless.

5. Prince Valiant

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Pretty much. It couldn't possibly be that the company/game is at fault, they deserve to make whatever they expect out of it. Piracy is nothing more than something to point at when something goes wrong. Maybe it's felled a few companies, maybe it hasn't, there's no stamping it out regardless.

I don't know why this sort of news gets posted about, it only ends poorly :3eyes:.

6. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    If your dumb opinion passes as fact then I suppose mine should too.

The unsurprisingly stupid argument made by the lesser members around here is that there are other games that sold well therefore piracy is great. It SHOULD be self-evident in why it's utterly useless as argument, but yet, it persists, just like your's will, despite the irrelevance of other games. As I said in my long winded post, and you failed to address, piracy CAN kill a game, as it did Demigod, so why would I, as a developer, ever leave my game to chance when i can prevent it with simple DRM?

Your response to that was "Sins of a solar empire sold well" Which I mean I guess is the exact kind of response I should've expected around here, but not the one I'd hoped for.

7. Prince Valiant

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    If you weren't so busy presuming things you might've taken the time to actually read my post. I'm not claiming anything as fact. I'm taking guesses with wildly incomplete information and recognizing it as such. I've got the collector's edition of Demigod sitting on the shelf behind me even, get off your horse for a second and breathe.

Edit: I'm not going to bother responding to you further. Anyone can see where this is going and there's no point in getting warnings issued because of it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  8. robintson

robintson Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    "The King called Denuvo v3 is dead, long live the king!" Anyways I have bought Rise of the Tomb Raider DE for about 50 euros and it is a great game , just I'm not so sure if it was worth for that amount of money. :)

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Lot's of video games that used Games for Windows Live for multiplayer didn't really last long.... also, Games for Windows live is DRM, Demigod used Games for Windows Live.. unless I am mistaken?

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    GOG is awesome.... My friend shared all his games so I got 400 game backlog suddenly.

@Reardan If demigod had been half the game it promised it would have sold nicely it wouldn't have died. I bought it and I stopped playing it rather fast because it was not that good. Unlike SupCom.

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Demigod had so little protection that pirates could even play multiplayer online.

12. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I never liked DRM, I bought a copy of Anno 2070 last year but since upgrading my rig it sees my system as a different computer and won't let me install, when DRM breaks the installation of a paid for product then something is wrong,

I think these companies are going about it all wrong, I think it would be better to release a full price version of a game day 1 for the people who want the game on release day and then a week later a pay what you want version could be released, they'd still make money and there'd be no need for DRM.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  13. Overlord

Overlord New Member

GPU:
    GTX970 SSC
    I am actually happy that denuvo got bypassed/cracked because finally I can try ROTR and if I like it I will buy it! However, companies should think of putting demos before release because games The Division don't deserve the price tag that they have...on the other hand Doom worth every penny!

14. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    I have in the past download games. Now days you can always find it so cheap somewhere.

What always got me was some that added "if you like the game buy it. Support the devs" haha.. yet they crack it and toss it on the web.

Denuvo has always got cracked. Even they have been hacked..you just never read about it. If you been around its always been like this. They know its always matter of time before someone crackes it. And now days.. its gets done way faster.

And if truth be told .. so many games made a KILLING that had no protection what so ever. They end up hurting them selfs. They tend to think MOST pirate the game when in truth most dont.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    look at those 600k lost sales that were waiting for 7 months for some reason

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Shame on those who had the finances and didnt bought the games and waited for them be cracked but for those who couldn't buy it was a nice opportunity to atleast try the games for a short time.

17. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz

..Because relevant. :D

18. magusat999

magusat999 New Member

GPU:
    6gb
    There has actually been scientific research (Im sure big money has been hard at work shutting it up) in the past few years that reveals piracy is not as prevalent as the big corporations with the bull horn tend to imply. The research concluded that while there is piracy (duh) that piracy can not be blamed for all of the things game publishers try to hang on it, and that there simply isn't that much piracy going on.

Demigod, mentioned in this thread, was simply a poor game that only reached out to a niche audience. The problem with Demigod wasn't piracy, it was advertising a game that looked like the play was one style, and then delivering something totally different (and boring). Demigod is not a good example - the game sucked out of the gate and even if people didn't pirate it it would have failed.

As for the 600k in lost revenue - these claims were specified in the research as well (its been a few years so sorry if I'm not quoting source). Publishers are looking for a scapegoat. They cant tell their shareholders that the product is simply not appealing, so they hang it all on piracy. There simply isn't enough piracy to kill a game. Angry Birds was practically free yet Roxio made a billion dollars in a couple of weeks. instead of improving the problems with their games, publishers blame it on Piracy, start wasting money on useless protection schemes, and never think about improving the game. Furthermore, those figures - like the "lost revenues" are arbitrary, speculative and just created to make the public feel that they actually lost something valuable. None of these companies has ever provided factual evidence that pirates actually deprived them of capital - and many of them flat out refuse to divulge where they get those ridiculous numbers from - because they know they are fabricating (lying) and trying to get the public vote by vilifying people who really aren't making an impact in reality.

Unfortunately most of us will never look into these things deeply - everybody doesn't have time to. We just read the headlines and go on that. This is not an advocacy for piracy, its about telling the truth - the situation will never get fixed if we keep acting behind old wives tales, running witch - hunts and believing everything some corporate entity tells us.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    What an economist with zero years of experience will tell you is that by default pirated copies don't equal lost sales. That's the tune that all the outlets play though.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Not entirely true.

I've bought pirated games before. It's mostly because these days demo's are hardly any good to gauge a games quality.

And the ones I didn't buy I often removed from my hard drive after an hour, because I found them crap.

As some people pointed out, average income. I wonder if sales would increase drastically if, for instance, Croatia (as it was mentioned here in the thread), got games at half the price.

If anything, you'd rather want a paying customer that pays less as opposed to another pirated copy.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016