Dell Glitch?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Amakusa07, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Amakusa07

Amakusa07 Active Member

GPU:
    SLI GeForce 7800GTX
    [​IMG]

What the heck is this? That ram alone costs about as much as it would take to built the best desktop rig up to date...I was going to order this until I saw that, which made me think that what I'm getting isn't good bang for buck.

2. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    4 Gigs of RAM is quite a lot, especially in a notebook, but that pricing is a tad extreme. I doubt it's a glitch, maybe they have to customise the notebook to fit the extra RAM?

3. Somobody told me the other day dells stock took a big fall due to them selling products for alot higher than there competitors... this is a good example of that :p

I saw the nicest laptop the other day on ebay for 2k that would desimate that system....

edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-GAMING-NOT...QQihZ006QQcategoryZ114205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It was one of these but a more expensive one, but wow this is a good deal. If I was getting a laptop this would be the one I would get since its not too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  4. Omeguz

Omeguz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600 256 MB AGP
    It's only got 80 Gigs on the HD though, a little low these days. Sure you can get an external one, but then you've got to lug that around with you.
    Also, it only has 1 Gig or RAM. I would seriously say it'd be smart to get 2 at this point, just to be future safe.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice laptop, especially for that price!

5. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    The reason why that memory is so expensive is because its composed of two 200-pin DDR2 667 2GB DIMMS, such modules aren't common place and it's conceivable they would cost quite a lot.

6. Yeah I would just add some ram and be done with it, I dont think I would need alot of space on a laptop as it wont collect all the garbage my pc does, but a hdd is not too expensive eather.

7. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    It is kind of funny because www.cyberpowerinc.com sales such laptops with the same tatto if you call it on the back of the machine.

8. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
  9. MToguro

MToguro Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI Gigabyte G1 970s
    That must be some godlike performance boost to cost more than most high-end computer systems alone... What is it exactly about that memory that bears it that hefty price? I assume it's about 25x better than all of our memory (which costs $450.00 or less)? Or is that only laptop compatible and for some issue with laptops yadda yadda, it's more expensive?

10. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Simple supply and demand. Those dimm's use special very high density chips (256x64) that are expensive to manufacter and they have very low demand because not only do very few laptops support them but very few people really need that much ram in a laptop.

And of course to take full advantage of 4gb ram you need 64-bit os and 64-bit DDR2 laptops are just comming into the market..and those are AMD only.