Dell customers unhappy with BIOS band-aid for faulty NVIDIA GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Watcher, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    http://www.vista123.net/content/dell-customers-unhappy-bios-band-aid-faulty-nvidia-gpus

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2308

Watcher

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    thats why i always recommed to buy a cheap laptop (1000$ and less).. (asus EEE for 350$ is fine enough) if it craps out i wouldnt cry on it.

3. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    mass produced ****e......

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    They're likely not getting any support from Nvidia.

I don't see it to be a Dell problem, it's Nvidias problem to fix.

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Its Nvidia's problem because its a defective Nvidia part. It's Dells problem because...thats the name of the computer and the company who took the customers money...

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yea, but Dell can't fork out all that money to replace a faulty product because Nvidia screwed something up.

So the best that can be done on short notice is the bios fix.

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    They are responsible for any product they sell or use in the products they build. Dell may be able to get money from Nvidia, but customers should be able to get fixes from Dell. The customers are Dells responsiblity, not Nvidia. Nvidia's responsiblity is their customer, Dell.

8. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    True, but Dell has to do something. nVidia will likely just have to reimburse Dell for all the computers they have to fix.

This BIOS might be a band-aid on a puncture wound, but it's gonna stop at least some of the blood from spilling.

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    They have, they've issued a BIOS fix until something happens with Nvidia.

Dell has to do something, but ultimately if they fork over the billions to fix the problem, all they are going to do is sue Nvidia for giving them faulty products.

It's a bad situation to be in that's for sure.

10. greaterthenjake

greaterthenjake Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gts 320mb Sli648/1674/1836
    what gpu's is this effecting? I remember seeign something about the 8600, and 8400 mobilitiy gpu's a while back is the the same thing? asking because my bro has one in his dell.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 - RX 590
    uh oh , thats really bad for consumers , i feel for those that bought those defective products wihout knowing it :O

12. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    I was thinking about getting an XPS in the future... which GPU's is this happening to?

13. bradbb2005

bradbb2005 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4550
    +1 that is exactly how it should work.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I thought the issue was having the nvidia cards in too confined of a space? There are specifications for the amount of space required a specific card, if Dell didn't follow them it's dells fault, if Nvidia specs were wrong it's Nvidia's fault.

15. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    damn im using my inspiron 1720 right now its a 17inch laptop it has an 8600M 256mb in bios (512 shared lol, FALSE ADVERTISING) should i be ok?

oh man i know loads of peepes who hav 8400/600 in there lappys and dont know bout this issue, lol so thats why my hand was practically cooking when i was playing lan with a mate his lappy was exhausting really hot air out his 15 inch notebook which has an 8400

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    no...............

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Imo, it's Dell's problem since they sold the laptop. What parts they put in it is Dell's decision. Imo, Dell's responsible for replacing/exchanging the laptops. Whether they sue Nvidia, or figure out a deal, or do whatever, shouldn't matter to the consumer.

A BIOS update to activate the fan speed sooner should be only a temporary solution until they figure out how to get it fixed properly.

Remember the issues a few laptops had a while ago with their batteries (burning, getting too hot, etc.)? If I remember that correctly the companies that sold the laptops gave you a replacement battery. Not the battery manufacturer, right?

Another example: when you buy a new car and something breaks/isn't working correctly, do go to the car manufacturer, or the part manufacturer? :3eyes:

18. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    It works like a chain-of command thing. You take to whoever you bought if from. They go to whoever they bought it from.... and so forth and so forth.

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Nvidia will never replace all affected units, they've set aside $150-200 million to cover the cost of replacement and repairs which I doubt is enough.

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Customers should be complaining to Dell, and Dell should be bringing it up with nVidia.

A retailer/manufacturer is only accountable for their direct customer. Dell is nVidia's responsibility, and the end customer is Dells responsibility.