Delivery and availability of the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti further delayed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 26, 2018.

1. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Let's not forget that 2080, despite costing more and performing about the same, has 3GB VRAM less than 1080ti. DLSS could be the only redeeming feature, only time will tell. And sure, some improvements from drivers... but they're rarely massive.

So far it looks like a giant failure to me.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah less VRAM adds to the problem.

GTX1080ti prices are falling and here we see one coming in below the £600 mark. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-19h-gi.html

3. SniperX

SniperX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080S Trio
    Evetech and Wootware both have stock of some of the RTX variants while Rebeltech lists one of the cards as 'in stock with supplier'. So there are more than a handful floating around here is South Africa....yeah, R26k....we love our taxes and cost of sales don't we. MSRP + 30-40%

4. wasteomind

wasteomind Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    Why aren't more news/enthusiast sites picking up this story and pressing Nvidia for more info? This is shitty launch, they should get all the bad news associated with it so it embarasses them and hopefully it doesn't happen again next time. Learn from mistakes.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, this is one serious joke of a launch.

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    nVidia sux and Amd sux. What to do? :eek:

7. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
    Simple the reason she is 15/30% better at the games I play sort of mine. And beyond is how the 1070 came out. It was 5/10% slower than the 980Ti and in the last few games it has been 1070 faster. Second in my Country Portugal the 1080Ti are the same price of 2080 not is more expensive, I paid 800 for the msi Nuke OC and the 1080Ti range of 795/1000 euros. Even in the used market there is no less than 650 euros the lowest. Third party less light is little difference but spends since it is one of the most expensive in the world. ;)

8. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    nV slides convinced us all that pascal cards are bad. And pascal can't do raytracing at "unknown fps" like turing cards in games which do not support it yet.

There, 2 reasons ;)

carnivore likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Totally agree with this. This rushed release makes no sense no matter how we look at it... Don´t understand what the guys at Nvidia are thinking/smoking...

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I remember being frustrated at nVidia for the lack of SLI support two years ago and now the RTX launch is making me mad with that stupid and completely unwarranted price of the 2080Ti which I really need considering the resolutions I play in.

I'm really hoping for something good from the red team so I can switch over. The 1080Ti is still a great card though.

Dynarush_333 and fantaskarsef like this.

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    i'll play.

i think what they are thinking is "people will see how expensive this card is and they will buy up all our old 1080ti's" and judging from the reviews and all the people suggesting that they do that they are right on target.

12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Any word on general availability (on shelf) for those who can't pre-order? Stores over here are all uncertain and not taking any more pre-orders at the time.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    You can get a new 1080Ti for 650€ and used one for as low as 450€ (yes some 1080Tis were used for mining but so what, miners undervolt cards and these cards still come with at least 2 years of warranty left).

14. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    @Glottiz, got one from Tweakers.net - user Omni. It was 600 and it's not even used, brand new stuff. Great deal.

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    So does Ti stand for Time Inserted?

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just watched a Joker Productions' YouTube video where he compares the average performance increase of GTX 980 Ti to GTX 1080 Ti and GTX 1080 Ti to GTX 2080 Ti at 2560x1440 Ultra settings across 9 games here:

GTX 980 Ti > GTX 1080 Ti = Performance increase of between 57% and 92% with an average of 76%

GTX 1080 Ti > GTX 2080 Ti = Performance increase of between 12% and 45% with an average of just 27%

Sure, these are just 9 games out of thousands but it does highlight, IMO, how overpriced the RTX 2080 Ti is when compared with the previous generational leap in performance.

carnivore, Dynarush_333 and Koniakki like this.
  17. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Artificial scarcity? Unavailability makes the RTX look really amazing, for the uninformed for sure. It must be so good, it's sold out already. I better run and place a order too!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Don't get me wrong, I was also one of those who complained about lacking launches at AMD. But taking it fare and square, Nvidia is pulling this off too, and I don't like it. I think this is a sign of keeping stocks low to minimize costs (and risk) at the price of availability to the customer, and thus such a launch is not to be desired.
    Also, I honestly don't think I'll upgrade mainly because of the price. Gives me a good excuse to not fall in and blindly buy it because it's 25% faster. :D

19. TylerAD

TylerAD Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I do not think a lot of people understand the power of the new cards. Please watch the Digital Foundry video BEFORE you draw conclusions. I too was a little underwhelmed, then I was further enlightened. This maybe explains how the benchmarks/games are not even accurate when it comes to the true performance of the new architecture.

20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    How do you know what these cards should be priced at? You can't base these arguments solely on the fact that previous generation cards in that number series cost a certain price. It could cost Nvidia $300 to make a 2070.

Now saying that, I don't like the prices either but I also understand they are running a business. New technology takes a lot of time and R&D funding. Sure maybe the next gen will be cheaper, maybe it won't. But it seems like the loudest complainers are the 1080ti owners.