Delid your CPU with the Delid Die Mate

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Personally I think this is a nice product, I'd even consider getting one if the price was lower (is that $80 even confirmed?).

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Doesn't that damage your hearing even more?

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    heat is literally radiated energy. keeping temps low controls transistor leakage

a 10° decrease can stabilize a previously unstable chip, so i disagree with the premise of your statement

im not suggesting these things matter to the average geek who builds his own rigs & likes his air cooling just fine. im saying that there are concrete reasons to delid. this product fills a neat niche, im glad its being catered to...& there are plenty of overclocking enthusiasts who agree

i dont even know where that figure came from

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Intel doesn't warranty modified processors.

Delidding and replacing the TIM doesn't actually decrease the amount of heat the processor produces. It just makes heat transfer more efficient if done properly.

That statement proves your ignorance. Lapping a processor IHS does very little to decrease temperatures if the gap between the CPU die and the IHS is too large.

5. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    replacing the tim? skyo i was assuming you leave the thing off; direct die contact or bust :D meanwhile direct contact facilitates efficient heat dissipation - where lower operating temps minimize transistor leakage (which is wasted energy)

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    It is so sad to see how easily people forget, how easily they resign, accepting wrongdoings of the "stronger ones" saying ("you can't beat them, so swallow what you've been served").
    And then, the very same people get even PROUD of themselves: "hey, look at me - I managed to survive the bitter blow". Yes, oh yes, just keep on with turning the other cheek for even more slapping, you good Christian...
    Instead of forcing Intel to come to it's senses by an cooperated action such as a petition signed by millions of us, we just give up. It is easier to ''occupy the Wall Street", I guess...

7. Vandrell

Vandrell Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    Is there a reason why the big processor manufacturers no longer release their products with an exposed die like the good old Athlon XP? That would avoid **** like this in the first place.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually, repeated exposure to excessive noise levels is cumulative in damaging your hearing. By 'further in your tolerance' what you're really saying is you're partially deaf so louder noise is less bothersome. Long term exposure over 85 db is proven to damage your hearing over time. Pretty much any headphone can exceed that easily. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/noise.aspx You're welcome.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You can leave the IHS off with some coolers. You risk damage to the CPU die and/or socket though. BUT, you're still not reducing the amount of heat the CPU actually produces.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You claimed both that repeated exposure would not cause more damage once your hearing was damaged and that you "can't damage your ears" with regular headphones. Both are objectively false claims. Irreversible damage can happen faster than you think. Changing your argument to going completely deaf is silly. Lets move on.

11. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    if you can keep the chip under 45° then yes i would call that chip perfectly stable

uh no i didnt i said there are good reasons for folks to want to do so

no, but guru3d used to have its fair share of benchers on ln2 or dry ice, along with plenty of watercoolers. ive been gone for a while. maybe the constituency here has become casual enough that someone doesnt honestly understand why others would want to do this...thats fine. you dont have to do it yourself

thats wat a backplate & caution are for. high transistor temps increase leakage, which decreases current, which - yes - does generate excess heat by itself as operating temperatures increase...which translates to higher power draw as well. power draw of a chip can be calculated by P = C x V² x freq, where C is the capacitance

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Low temperature does not mean stable. A processor can just as easily exhibit erratic behavior at 45 degrees, as it does at 80 degrees. Temperature and stability are only very loosely related.

Backplate doesn't protect the CPU or the socket. Blackplate helps support the weight of the CPU cooler. When you remove the IHS, you're exposing the CPU die, and placing pressure on it directly. Pressure that it wasn't intended to take.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    It isn't worth the risk if your just gaming, end of.

Its like I've said in this thread, its mostly for extreme overclockers/enthusiasts. Its not even marketed towards gamers! Why would it be.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Most people won't do it, those few who do will give a **** though.
    No point in arguing against delidding on an enthusiast forum.

15. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Every product has it's buyer.

Is this thing safer than than scalpel or vice deliding method?
    Imho it is. If you want a bit more safety while removing the lid from $300 or $400 CPU then every single percent of additional safety measures counts.

Is this thing ment for everyone?
    Nope, not everyone share the same need for deliding CPU's. For those deliding more than few CPU's per year this thing could be quite useful even with (unconfirmed?) $80 price tag.

Is there any room for improvements?
    Yes there is, read my earlier post about heating the lid while removing process.

End of the story.

16. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Yep. It sure is. All that time I spent lapping my i5-4670k to make it perfectly flat only netted me a few degrees C. Then i took the risk and removed the IHS using the hammer, vise, and wood block method. Worked perfectly. And after shaving down the portion of the IHS so it would sit lower and make actual contact with the CPU die, and finished things up with liquid metal... it dropped my CPU over 30'c under load.
    Before doing any of this, my 4670k @ 4.4ghz was running 90-92'c load. Now it never gets any higher than 55-58'c load. it idles around 30'c.

Soo... if that's idiocy, then yep... i'm one happy idiot with a CPU that runs cooler than an un-modded chip could do on a proper water cooling rig.

17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

People that delid their chips shave down the underside lip of the IHS so it sits lower and removes the gap between the core and IHS which in turn greatly increases heat transfer.

18. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    thats a gross overstatement. when you start really pushing a chip, voltage & subsequently heat are your limiting factors for a fairly wide threshold until the chip just craps out

a backplate keeps the motherboard rigid yes & facilitates the even mounting of a block (or heavy air cooler, sure)

any random gamer should not attempt it period. only those inclined who understand the perks & risks.

& those who do care constitute the entirety of the extreme overclocking scene. leakage & transistor cross-talk are large causes of instability in semiconductors & some people will do anything they can to minimize their effect. if you dont care about pushing silicon to its limits, it doesnt matter; in which case, this product is nearly irrelevant i guess. i recognize my initial post was a bit obnoxious, but i have rationale behind my assertion. this will be my last reply as i dont wish to drag the thread down into argument instead of discussion

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I responded to your statement that "if you can keep the chip under 45° then yes i would call that chip perfectly stable". My response to that statement was hardly a "gross overstatement". Your statement insinuates that temperature is the determining factor in stability, which is wrong. Temperature is a limiting factory in overclocking, but has no bearing on whether or not a system is actually stable.

20. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    The manufacturers grew tired of the flow of CPU's that came back damaged because people can't mount a cooler properly.
    IHS makes the processor less fragile and more fool proof to install and so more cost effective.