Defrag and compact Windows registry?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by HonoredShadow, Mar 4, 2014.

1. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx2080 superXS
    Auslogics boostspeed...been using it for years

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Pagedefrag doesn't defrag the registry. All it does is make the pagefile container contiguous on the hard drive. This can be beneficial (more so on mechanical drives), but keep in mind that data written inside the container can still be fragmented. Also, the pagefile generally gets deleted and recreated, so making it contiguous on the hard drive isn't necessarily a once off thing as it should be.

The registry is not the same as the pagefile, as the comment on what pagedefrag does seems to imply. The registry file containers on the drive can become fragmented, but so can the data inside the registry.

How can the registry become fragmented you may ask? Well, the data in the registry is laid out like this:
    ********###*******
    Picture the #'s as a registry entry. If you remove the # entry, there will be a gap, right? What if you then added info back into this gap, but now have four #'s to enter? The fourth hash can't fit, so it get's put in another spot, but still linked back to that original position.

The registry defraggers work internally and makes all the data contiguous. In general a registry doesn't get chronically fragmented, but as a database it's not a bad thing to keep it defragmented.

A good registry cleaner, registry defragmenter, and disk defragmenter work hand in hand, it's not a bad practice to get in to using occasionally. You have to use good ones though, there are a lot of crap ones out there. Just because Microsoft doesn't provide it, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. If that were the case, Windows Media Player would be the best and only media player to use, Internet Explorer the best and only browser, Paint the only image manipulation program...

Microsoft provide tools like SFC (sfc /scannow), WINMGMT (winmgmt /salvagerepository) etc, but people don't generally run these do they?

SFC in Windows 7 has a bug though, it leaves a thousand or so undeletable temp files in a winsxs subfolder each time it's run, and adds to the amount each time. This was fixed in Windows 8.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
  4. weasel

weasel Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I sometimes use an old regcleaner where i delete old keys manually,but ccleaner etc or registry defrag....in my humble opinion not needed.

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
  6. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Have you tried any of programs we have posted liks for above? Try programs from my message #2 in that order, they are safe 100%, I've tested them on hundreds of rigs.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually winsxs folder hardly contains any data, mostly it's just hardlinks.

And the entire registry is nothing more than 5 or 6 files containing config info for the CPU (think of them like .txt files), they do not become "internally fragmented", whatever that means.

It's all just a big scam.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    I will try one now. Which do you recommend? I tried Auslogics Registry Defrag and it does the trick but I might uninstall. Which one of your links then?

9. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014