Defined Elegance Unsponsored case mod by Sycuss_MoO/ Syndrifix

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Sycuss_MoO, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Hello all Enthusiast PC Builders and Case Modders!

***EDIT, A HUGE THANKS GOES OUT TO KEVIN from Cooler Master for assisting me with getting a Vertical GPU mounting Bracket when they were out of stock.

This case mod is to develop my own skills, and to take a case I have always loved into the next level. The case I am using is the EVGA DG-87.

The goal of this mod is to make this case that most people see as an OLD CRT TV into something that just oozes elegance. This will not just be done by colors but by the parts used, and the internal modifications needed to make the parts work.

Without anything further here we go!!!

The original EVGA DG-87 case

[​IMG]

Case Mod render of the EVGA DG-87

*Color of the case is going to be Midnight Blue.

*The Mirror under the window will be tinted to be darker than stock.

*The Black fins will be painted an Aluminum Metallic color to resemble Corsair Dominator Platinum ram.

*The white plastic midplate will have RGB leds underneath to create a Diffused Uniform Glow to light up the inside of the case. *No LEDS yet were shipped out with the wifi controller yesterday.

[​IMG]

Yesterday my white plastic midplate came in from

Munkymodz "site below"

The majority of my supplies come in next week.

Stay tuned to see the tear down and preparing the case for painting.
    [​IMG]

More or less this is to get the idea out there and to see what everyone things of the colors and simplistic design.

Some additional things that will be modded the rear door will be cut into two the top door will have a hidden latch that will open up from the inside so a 3rd smaller 140mm radiator can be mounted but still provide accessibility to the IO area and the back sides of the gpu.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    The case is now apart. This case disassembly was the most complicated one I have ever done. It took 3 hours to get apart.

The first step was removing the side door. on the left side of the case their is a push in pull down lever that disconnects the hinge from the window.

[​IMG]

The second step was taking the other easy parts off the back door, and the front clip panel. The Top panel had plastic clips that needed disconnected from the inside of the case. This step was very easy to do. Just be careful not to snap the clips and your good to go.

The Third Step was taking off the back door. It unlatches and is pulled up to remove. Taking this door apart after it was off was one of the more difficult pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Just some messing around with the mirror...
    [​IMG]

The several steps later, I had to figure out what screws took off the other surround panels. This was a bit more complicated as several other items had to be removed to visually see these screws. Once all these screws were found the other panels were detached by sliding up, down, left or right by a slide clip. Just like before these clips were plastic, take your time don't snap them off. Be sure to take the cables out of the clips so the mirrored piece can come easier later on.

Three hours later we are down to the frame of the case. Due to only painting the out side pieces i wont need to take down this part any further. I will remove more later for the parts instal, but for now here is the bare frame of the EVGA DG-87.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this was done I found an RGB light bulb that had a built in speaker. I decided it was time to find out how well the midplate idea would work once RGB leds are lit up behind the plate.

This Midplate by MONKEYMODZ worked way better than I had ever thought possible. The diffusion is near perfect, and the color accuracy is on point.

Red

[​IMG]

Green

[​IMG]

Blue *sorry for the blurry picture.

[​IMG]

White *sorry for the blurry picture.

[​IMG]

Teal

[​IMG]

Keep in tuned... More updates will take place in the next post.

3. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Here I test painted the metal back panel.

[​IMG]

Here is another angle of the color. the Camera Flash is making the color way brighter than it is in person. It was too dark outside to take good pictures.

[​IMG]

The radiator came in the wrong color. I had ordered the Black Carbon color like its shown on the orange sticker.

*The person that marked the item in amazon's warehouse must not have seen the white dot on the side of the box...

Item has been returned and a new radiator should be here tomorrow.

[​IMG]

GPU EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Elite
    "only using one the other is for another project"
    [​IMG]

Fully constructed Monsoon lightport with 90 degree fitting and a Monsoon Economy V1 fitting.
    I also have 6x V2 fittings. The V2's look different, they are taller and not as wide. Due to this they will be used on the monoblock, ramblocks and other visually impacting areas.

[​IMG]

4. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Top Right Origional Top panel not painted

Top Left Original Back panel not painted

[​IMG]

After the Top Panel got painted I textured the paint to look like aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Fixed the second post. I had posted more than the max allowed images on one post.

6. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Looks interesting, that midplate lighting is great but clean your house man :D

7. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite

:p. Regarding the laundry. Haha I was taking apart the case near our laundry room and doing laundry. :p. When I retake pics i'll be sure the area is cleaned up. Any other day of the week the laundry would not have been in that spot.

Thanks for the comment. Always love to hear peoples opinions etc.

Would you agree that the pictures do need retaken? I ask because on my 4k monitor they are extremely blurry.

The goal is to have this mod done by the 20th of October for DreamHack in Denver.

https://denver.dreamhack.com/17/news/

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Eeh, maybe. Those are very blurry on my 1080p monitor just as well but I can mostly see everything I think I'm supposed to ;)
    Just in the future when you take pics, especially of the painted panels try to get a steady shot. Blurry images don't really do justice at all to painted surfaces especially such as dark as the midnight blue you're going for.

9. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite

Alright Finally Edited the frame pictures along with the dissembled parts pics. I just added two new pics of the finished panel and the finished top. Thoughts on the top?

10. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    That top looks sleek af, very nice. Upon looking at the frame a bit more I just realized how big that case is, wow :eek:. Keep it going! Did you get the proper colored rad yet?
    (One more photography tip - Daylight, objects in close vicinity of a window will look a lot clearer ;))

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

11. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    The monitor for the build/ Lan... The Dreamhack Lan in Denver has a max 30" monitor size requirement.

The Box

[​IMG]

Opening the box oooohhh

[​IMG]

The Calibration Sheet,

[​IMG]

All the Stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Well now that I have had ample time to check out the new monitor I have gotten back to work. The rest of the line work is complete on the front top and rear panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black radiator is now in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reservoir I want... swiftech release this already pls..

[​IMG]

Some additional pics of other case parts being painted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I tinted the mirror.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  13. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Niiiice, looking sleek ;) Great choice for a monitor, these Samsung curveds are great and overclock well. Got dayum at that rad and res, magnificent.

Sycuss_MoO likes this.
  14. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Finished The Case Mod. Now for the internals of the build.
    "Waiting on a few remaining items for the build"

Teaser Shots. These were uploaded and compressed by FB prior to this post.

EDIT on 10/2/2017 "If the color looks a bit purple its not, its a true midnight blue that is lighter with a florecent light source with out flash causing the purple look."
    Currently my camera/lighting is effecting the color of the case.

The top piece does not have silver artifact running along the front ledge...

[​IMG]
    Picture of the top piece showing silver on the front of the case... I don't know why my camera caused this effect. wth... "This was caused by the camera flash refecting off the metalic surface" :-O

Proof below showing what the silver stripes look like in the front. LMAO so confused to what caused this in the picture. In fact it irritated me so much that I almost didn't post any pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite

***EDIT, A HUGE THANKS GOES OUT TO KEVIN from Cooler Master for assisting me with getting a Vertical GPU mounting Bracket when they were out of stock.

The Bracket should get here today or tomorrow
    [​IMG]

Case Pics in a more natural lighting with no flash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now you can all see that despite my image upload issues from last week the paint is actually quite darker. I am taking the case outside after posting this to see what sunlight does color wise.

[​IMG]

16. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Outside pics as promised. This is the true color of the case. I love it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting for two packages to arrive today on my day off is making me antsy. If I was at work I wouldn't be thinking about it all...

To anyone out their that thinks a curved monitor would be weird or bad... or both. Using my new curved monitor to type this message is weird for sure. However gaming on it is beyond amazing.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  17. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    I had to cancel the order of the Alphacool Eislicht RGB LED Panels.

Needed the funds for the item below.

Used EK GTX 1080ti FTW3 Block and Backplate are in route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Some more parts are in.
    I am still hoping that Swiftech Chooses me out of the 5 to test out a new D5 pump Rez combo, but due to the lack of time prior to the Dreamhack Denver event on the 20th to the 22nd of this month I had to get this build going.
    If i do get to be chosen as 1 of the 5, I'll take apart the loop to install swiftech's new masterpeice.

Monsoon "MMRS" D5 Pump Reservoir with D5 5 speed pump
    "I am personally not a fan of PWM pumps I prefer the peace of mind with full flow control".
    [​IMG]
    Not Sure if i will keep the black and white. I might replace the white peices with black or the black peices with white.
    PS. the pump cables were 4ft long. "WOWZA"
    [​IMG]

I thought this mounting bracket would work. Very Sadly mistaking.
    A different mounting bracket got here a few days ago
    [​IMG]
    The assymbled MMRS. "Looking Nice. Might be to contrasty for this build, might have to go full white.
    [​IMG]

The 12v to 24v converter for pump. This little device will give my D5 Strong an increase of headpressure
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are plenty sites showing documentation showing both sides of the spectrum both showing a significant improvment to the head pressure when running the D5 pump at 24v vs the stock ~13.5v and other sites saying that its useless to run the D5 pump above stock volts. "main reason I decided that this would be a good idea is that my loop is going to have over 16 angled fittings / or 45-90 degree bends if i change my mind and go with Thermaltake RGB fittings".
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture showing not so significant improvment from martins labs.
    [​IMG]

"Ooooh whats in this fancy box? Lets take a peep..."
    [​IMG]

Its the Monsoon Hardline Deluxe Bending kit. Love the case, no need to find storage for the new tools.

Top left: Saw and tube holder for saw
    Top Right: Tube Insert and tube beveling tool.
    [​IMG]

Drain Port.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EK CE 420 Radiator
    [​IMG]

Due to the size of this case I made some black and white alternating cable extentions.
    "I might change the order of them so its white on the outside with a pin stripe of black".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come soon.

19. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    The Vertical GPU mount came in!
    The gpu being used for test mounting is just a spare extremly dusty msi 970 gaming gpu that was the wifes prior to her gpu upgrade..
    The Block and all remaining parts should be here friday. Fingers crossed.
    I thought that the riser cable would slide into the bracket... alas it does not.

I am going to switch this one out to a riser cable that flat mounts.
    This will alIow me to get the GPU 1 slot closer to the midplate, then I can fabricate a cover with a angled temp display at the base of the gpu.

*Edit different plans.. I am going to cut down the bracket and cut the midplate so the riser can pop through it.

Just not a fan of the massive area under the gpu. I want it flush.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  20. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Update: the spread this is just spare parts, lights, fittings and cleaning stuff.
    [​IMG]

Res with new frosted 150mm tube
    [​IMG]

Mayhem blitz part 1 in rads for 6 hours
    [​IMG]

Old clear res tube left, New frosted larger rez tube right
    [​IMG]

The paint looks rough due to the amount of dust in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Alphacools satin 16mm od hardline is in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gpu block is here.
    [​IMG]
    Massive
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017