Defined Elegance Unsponsored case mod by Sycuss_MoO/ Syndrifix

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Sycuss_MoO, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Hello all Enthusiast PC Builders and Case Modders!

This case mod is to develop my own skills, and to take a case I have always loved into the next level. The case I am using is the EVGA DG-87.

The goal of this mod is to make this case that most people see as an OLD CRT TV into something that just oozes elegance. This will not just be done by colors but by the parts used, and the internal modifications needed to make the parts work.

I know my pictures are not the best currently but before I continue painting tonight I will get new less bury pictures uploaded. Taking pictures have always been a side task, and something I have always rushed. Now looking back at them they are extremely bad.

Without anything further here we go!!!

The original EVGA DG-87 case

[​IMG]

Case Mod render of the EVGA DG-87

*Color of the case is going to be Midnight Blue.

*The Mirror under the window will be tinted to be darker than stock.

*The Black fins will be painted an Aluminum Metallic color to resemble Corsair Dominator Platinum ram.

*The white plastic midplate will have RGB+W leds underneath to create a Diffused Uniform Glow to light up the inside of the case. *No LEDS yet were shipped out with the wifi controller yesterday.

[​IMG]

Yesterday my white plastic midplate came in from

Monekymodz "site below"

The majority of my supplies come in next week.

Stay tuned to see the tear down and preparing the case for painting.
    [​IMG]

More or less this is to get the idea out there and to see what everyone things of the colors and simplistic design.

Some additional things that will be modded the rear door will be cut into two the top door will have a hidden latch that will open up from the inside so a 3rd smaller 140mm radiator can be mounted but still provide accessibility to the IO area and the back sides of the gpu.

The EVGA logo on the front facing part of the case will be turned into a LED lit logo.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    *I WILL RETAKE PICS IN BETTER LIGHTING TONIGHT.

The case is now apart. This case disassembly was the most complicated one I have ever done. It took 3 hours to get apart.

The first step was removing the side door. on the left side of the case their is a push in pull down leaver that disconnects the hinge from the window. Super easy.

[​IMG]

The second step was taking the other easy parts off the back door, and the front clip panel. The Top panel had the plastic clips that needed disconnected from the inside of the case. This step was very easy to do. Just be careful not to snap the clips and your all good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Just some messing around with the mirror...
    [​IMG]

The 3rd step was figuring out what screws took off the other surround panels. This was a bit more complicated as several other items had to be removed to visually see these screws. once all screws were found they the other panels were attached by a slide clip. By pushing the opposite direction of the clips the pieces came off. Just like before these clips were plastic, take your time don't snap them off. Be sure to take the cables out of the clips so the mirrored piece can come off last.

Three hours later we are down to the frame of the case. Due to only painting the out side pieces i wont need to take down this part any further. I will for install later on but for now here is the bare frame of the EVGA DG-87.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this was done I found an RGB+W light bulb that had a built in speaker. I decided it was time to find out how well the midplate idea will work once RGB+W leds are lit up behind the plate.

This Midplate by MONKEYMODZ worked way better than I had ever thought possible. The diffusion is perfect, and the color accuracy is on point.

Red

[​IMG]

Green

[​IMG]

Blue *sorry for the blurry picture again.

[​IMG]

White *sorry for the blurry picture again.

[​IMG]

Some other colors

[​IMG]

Keep in tuned as more updates will take place.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 11:49 PM
  3. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Test Painting the back panel.

midnight blue finished test panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The radiator came in the wrong color. I had ordered the Black Carbon color like its shown on the orange sticker.

*The person that marked the item in amazons warehouse must not have seen the white dot on the side of the box...

Item has been returned new rad should be here tomorrow.

[​IMG]

GPU EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 Elite
    "only using one the other is for another project"
    [​IMG]

Fully constructed Monsoon lightport with 90 degree fitting and a Monsoon Economy V1 fitting.
    I also have 6x V2 fittings. The V2's look different, they are taller and not as wide. Due to this they will be used on the monoblock, ramblocks and other visually impacting areas.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    [​IMG]
    Top Right Origional Top panel not painted
    Top Left Original Back panel not painted
    [​IMG]

After the last final coat of the back panel was painted in midnight blue
    [​IMG]

After the Top Panel got painted I textured the paint to look like aluminum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 12:03 AM

5. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite
    Fixed the second post. I had posted more than the max allowed images on one post.

6. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 EK
    Looks interesting, that midplate lighting is great but clean your house man :D

7. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite

:p. Regarding the laundry. Haha I was taking apart the case near our laundry room and doing laundry. :p. When I retake pics i'll be sure the area is cleaned up. Any other day of the week the laundry would not have been in that spot.

Thanks for the comment. Always love to hear peoples opinions etc.

Would you agree that the pictures do need retaken? I ask because on my 4k monitor they are extremely blurry.

The goal is to have this mod done by the 20th of October for DreamHack in Denver.

https://denver.dreamhack.com/17/news/

8. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 EK
    Eeh, maybe. Those are very blurry on my 1080p monitor just as well but I can mostly see everything I think I'm supposed to ;)
    Just in the future when you take pics, especially of the painted panels try to get a steady shot. Blurry images don't really do justice at all to painted surfaces especially such as dark as the midnight blue you're going for.

9. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI FTW3 Elite

Alright Finally Edited the frame pictures along with the dissembled parts pics. I just added two new pics of the finished panel and the finished top. Thoughts on the top?

10. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 EK
    That top looks sleek af, very nice. Upon looking at the frame a bit more I just realized how big that case is, wow :eek:. Keep it going! Did you get the proper colored rad yet?
    (One more photography tip - Daylight, objects in close vicinity of a window will look a lot clearer ;))

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 4:11 PM