Defender is useless.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Reddoguk, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Nah, those are fine. It's the scummy gaming sites like sharemods that install malware on your computer.

mbk1969 likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I find using NoScript helps quite a bit. that way random scripts cannot run on websites without you allowing it, you do need to manually allow scripts on websites you trust mind you... but yeah, NoScript is great, for example Guru3D forum here has 5 scripts running, I allow 2 of them.

Using a custom Hostfile is also good, I use this one http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm , the individual that made it updates it from time to time, I've used it for years

To install the Hostfile I use a program called HostsXpert, with it you can also set the Hostfile to read only so it cannot be altered without your input.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    AsiJu and 386SX like this.
  3. XenonS

XenonS Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    But OP, what is the purpose of this thread, do you really think for 1 second that Windows 10 will provide its Windows Defender and being better than a commercial antivirus and Firewall with HIPS software (like Kaspersky and Co.)? Often it costs 70$ a year for such a commercial protection, so it's crystal-clear that Microsoft cannot provide a good protection for free. Did you expect something like this, or what is the purpose of seing Windows Defender not finding a particular threat?

I think that in the scenario where you only use Internet to browse safe pages with free Firefox browser, and nothing else please, then yes, you can use Windows Defender in Win10 only. But as soon as you start file sharing or other stuff you need a better protection.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Defender good enough for me. Been on Avast for years, but since last fresh install just stuck with defender.

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    AsiJu likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even worse than this, many years ago a very smartly designed malware used my AV's scanning engine to spread itself throughout my PC. Had to format all the drives to get rid of it.

AsiJu and Yxskaft like this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    And even when AV works paid AV isn't necessarily any better than free in all cases.

I remember in college computers used F-Secure yet my USB thumbdrive got a virus from one of them.
    Meaning F-Secure's up to date version didn't find it / block it.

Yet the instant I plugged the drive to my home PC, AVG with two months old database (had no Internet access at the time) found it.

Oh and Avast found it too btw. I tried using the same drive earlier on a mate's computer but Avast blocked it.

First thought it was false positive but got the exact same detection w/ AVG at home.

8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil