Default GTX 580 Voltage?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Nightmare, Nov 11, 2010.

1. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
  2. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    I don't know why there is so much hate in this topic towards me. I'm not trolling, and I've lurked the Guru3D forums for awhile because it's a good source of driver discussion and information.

I'm not trying to bash Afterburner or Unwinder's work in the slightest, I've been using Afterburner and following the versions for nearly a year now, and before that I used Rivertuner. If my wording seems like I'm trying to bash Afterburner, I'm sorry. I respect Unwinder's work tremendously.

I'm just trying to get some simple help from anyone else that may own and GTX 580 and can report what the stock voltage is. Afterburner SEEMS to be functioning correctly now and 'Reset' effectively sets my voltage back to 1000mv, which is perfectly stable at the default clocks, but for a time the Reset button was defaulting to an unstable undervoltage I was trying to save power/temps in 2D mode. Even deleting my Profile in Afterburner the GPU was >still< being undervolted automatically in every reboot. Changing voltages in Afterburner 2.1.0 Beta 4 w/ a 580 just seems buggy for me right now, that's all.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Like or dislike it, there is NO bug in Afterburner and there will be NO changes in voltage control area for 580 series in Afterburner because it is done entirely at NVAPI level similar to all previous reference design Fermi series cards. My last comment in this thread special for all who will try to read this "warning" and try to quote in in different places on the net. Period. My last comment in this thread.

4. Unwinder

Shock. Decided to give public beta 4 build a try and was shocked to see that somebody from MSI got a nice idea to "improve" the beta build version silently by publicly unlocking alternate low-level voltage control path for 580 series bypassing the NVAPI and switching the VRM into alternate gamer mode. The mode is intended for private builds for exterme overclocking compos only, the mode have MANY limitations requiring some special knowledge, including disabled power managament (which can be restored with cold boot only), manual default voltage selection, real output voltage monitoring instead of target output voltage monitoring and so on. Now all this stuff is walking on the net. "Excellent".
    Damn MSI marketing. Some serious talks with the company are on the way. Either we're working in the way when I'm controlling all the changes in the software distributive to be able to know what it going inside it and support it effectively, or we don't work together at all and they are searching for a different programmer. My apollogies for issue.

5. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    So is this actually an Afterburner issue after all? Did I do any non-reversible changes to the card? Damn this has me worried now...

6. Unwinder

It is not an Afterburner issue. It is different voltage control mode issue which requires additional knowledge to be used properly, which is supposed to disable power management, which requires you to set default voltage manually and so on. And no, it doesn't apply any non-reversible changes to the card. Default VRM state is resored on cold system reboot.

7. Nightmare

Nightmare Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI
    Ahh. That actually explains a lot since I rarely cold boot my computer these days. That explains my on-going issues with warm boots. Thanks a bunch for clearing this up.

8. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    He had two 580s, one that came at 1.037V and the other at 1.00V. Read...