default boost clocks on MSI 980Ti are quite high

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Deckard, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 980Ti 6GB SLI
    Hello,

there seems to be something weird going on with my new MSI 980TI gaming 6GB.

Ive looked everywhere I can think of, msi website. other tech sites but no luck finding the answer,

Im pretty new to green team and am getting used to this boost clocks thing as on AMD youhave to Oc manually.

Anyway: the default clocks for my card are GPU clock 1140 Memory 1752Mhz Boost 1228Mhz [​IMG]
    However when looking at the sensor tab as suggested in a gpu-z tooltip.

I find the clocks are running completely different to what gpu-z reports.
    [​IMG]

the sensor tab reports GPU clock 1354 Memory 1752

This is also confirmed with AIDA 64
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im not seeing any popping or artefacts, temps never go above 80 under full load.

Is this right ? is it safe?

Cheers as always

Deckard

2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Both of mine MSI 980 ti boost to 1354 until they hit 82 in temp then they start to clock down .

Completely normal :)

3. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 980Ti 6GB SLI
    great news thank you :) nice little bonus

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    This is normal on all Maxwell and Pascal cards. Stated boost clock is basically the lowest you can expect under very heavy load in normal operation (meaning no overheating). In most gaming loads actual clocks will be significantly higher.

5. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 1519/7906mhz
    It can also be a misconfigured bios as there are several settings that affect what GPU-Z reads from. Also boost table, boost states, and clock states can affect this as they all have to match each other in certain fields.

[​IMG]

My card's bios was not allowing the card to be stable under normal operation (solid colored screen). Since its factory overclocked, turns out they forgot to change the voltage table to match the custom boost table values and I had to manually raise the voltages (i found out my max core to be 1519mhz [needs 1.256v though] so i just raised the power limits so it never hits the TDP ceiling and raised voltages accordingly. Here is a guide for doing this if you feel adventurous: Disable Boost and "Bake-In" Max Game Stable Clocks for Maxwell).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. RealNC

RealNC Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Normal. The EVGA 980 Ti I'm using does the same.

The stated boost clock in the specs is some sort of "minimum boost". But it can go higher than that. The better the cooling on the card and in your PC is, the longer higher boost clocks can be sustained.