Dedicated Physx card.

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by The Laughing Ma, Jan 20, 2009.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Yoho my EVGA 260GTX arrived today, it's installed and running very sweetly. Now with the pushing of the Physx bandwagon I had a thought. Wuld it be possible to stick my old 8800GTS back in and use it as a dedicated Physx card at some point in the future?

My Asus P5K board has a second PCI-e slot and it does support Crossfire but doesn't support SLI, but technically I am not SLIing the card though am I. The other thing is the second PCIe slot only runs at x8.

Would this be possible? I am not gonna do it until Physx becomes more main stream but it would be nice to know if it is possible.

2. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 780 HOF
    I dont know if you need an SLI capable board but i know the newer drivers added support for physx using another gpu

3. JEskandari

JEskandari Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 660M
    for physx you only need 2 PCI-E Slot,and the driver to support it

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Correct.

Using a second Nvidia card in order to do the PhysX calculations, doesn't require a SLI motherboard, enabling SLI, or anything like that. ;)

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Great news, the second those Physx intensive games start to appear I'll be ready... well maybe their ain't gonna be much room between the top of the 260GTX and the bottom of the 88000GTS

6. yleclerc

yleclerc Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1660 6GB
    Start considering to add additional fans to your system, in the correct orientation. With two video cards processing together, even though they are not Crossfired or SLI, they will generate more heat.