Dedicated Physx card question - Need advice

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by StrangeArt, Oct 12, 2010.

1. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Hi all

I tried my old 9600 GSO (192-bit, 384MB, 96 stream processors) as a dedicated Physx card for my system. It gave great results, sometimes even 8FPS increase in Metro 2033(avg 4-5, which is great for such a demanding game). But it was too bulky and helped a heap to increase the temp and noise of my GTX 480 as it is a full size card. So I'm looking for an alternative.

I want a very small format card so the best contender at the moment is the Zotac GT 240 (128-bit, 1GB/512MB, 96 stream processors).

This might be a silly question, but it seems you don't need the SLI bridge for a dedicated Physx card to work. Is that right?

Will the 128-bit bandwidth hamper the performance by any means if I buy the 1GB/512MB GDDR5 version and will it handle the load of the more demanding games such as Batman - Arkham Asylum and Metro 2033?

Does anyone have any size specification for this card? (Height X Length X Depth). Also is it my imagination or is the Zotac GT240 512MB AMP edition smaller than the standard edition?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    no you dont need SLi birdge,

imo something like 450gts would be a perfect match, well Fermi has some better tricks when it comes to cuda /physx - more registers to store data (16kb +48kb compared to 240gts with only 16kb), thus faster calculations.

3. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Ok thanks. I can only fit in a single slot card due to my Audio card. It is a micro ATX motherboard.

I also saw something about software SLI. Is that by any means slower than hardware based? (using the bridge)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    hm yea that could be a issue, most of 450gts use 2 slots.. this one from Gigabyte looks the smallest,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342
    but yea it still eats up 2 slots..

About Software SLi i dunno, maybe you're thinking about SLI hack on non sli based mobos?

5. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Dude, you will not need any SLI for using the card as PhysX. But yes, software SLI is slower as it uses the motherboard to pass data instead the bridge (as far as i know).

6. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Yeah I would like to see some tests or something in that line that checks this and whether the difference is negligible or not.

7. _REAPER_

_REAPER_ Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Classified Ultra
    The 450gts is more than enough for just physx. It only uses 75% of my card for fluidmark tests.

[​IMG]

8. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    Hi

As I stated in earlier posts, I am limited to single slot cards.

Thanks

9. _REAPER_

_REAPER_ Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 Classified Ultra
  10. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970

11. mad4

mad4 Member

GPU:
    Dedicated
    Hi there,do you have any games waiting to play ? Otherwise,I cant see nvidia not filling the huge gap between GT430 and GTS450 within too long.Hope for a retail version of GT440,but with GDDR5,it has 144 SP,and to me looks like the perfect physx card,but sadly not even announced
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-440-oem-us.html
    In Batman AA,you wont need a dedicated card,even my GTX460 was enough:)

12. StrangeArt

StrangeArt Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970
    You get very big gains in performance, which shows in Batman and Metro 2033.

I see sparkle has announced a single slot 450. Would have to see how that turns out.

13. mad4

mad4 Member

GPU:
    Dedicated
    Didnt mention metro,you might gain some in batman,but you wont need it at all,game is light compared to metro,mafia ao,thats what i meant;)

14. smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4870 1gb ZALLMAN
  15. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I get very good results from a GT 430, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in single slot version either.

Even then it probably wouldn't be too hard to mount a custom cooling solution to make it single slot.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

16. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Yeah, only issue is finding a card that will not increase your heat a fair amount but still offer you a decent performance increase.

I personally use this card for PhysX
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133304

It offers a good amount of performance, handles all my PhysX games just fine, and doesn't need an extra 6-pin for power. That just limits how much you can overclock it, but any gain is better than none. Right now the GTS450 would be considered the sweet spot, but like stated earlier, no single slot version is available yet. That 260 card isn't gonna be a viable option either, although it's single slot, it uses 2 6-pins so it's definitely not gonna be the coolest running card, probably even hotter than the one you're using now.